Status: :)

Fireworks

Audrey Holloway | Pete Wentz

Pete pushes the elevator stop button and Audrey's eyes go wide. "What the fuck are you doing?" she snaps, her voice slightly panicked.

"We have to get things straight," Pete says.

Audrey laughs, it's bitter and it makes Pete swallow hard. He knows what's coming. This is the part where she breaks his heart.

"Okay, so tell me why you've been avoiding me," she says, and Pete's more than a little shocked. That's not what he was expecting.

He takes a deep breath. Now or never, then. "Because, Audrey. I don't want to be someone's mistake."

"What?" Audrey asks. Her voice is soft, barely a whisper.

Pete's tired. He hasn't slept in days. Not since he last saw her. He runs a hand through his hair. "Look, I can handle us fighting and not being friends, or even you not wanting me at all, but I cannot handle the look of regret I just know I'm gonna see in your eyes whenever you look at me."

Audrey looks on the verge of tears. But she laughs, instead, and it's bitter, just like before. "What the fuck are you even talking about?" she laughs out, staring at him with wide, glassy blue eyes. She's not on the verge. She's already crying. "Why would I regret you?"