Status: [COMPLETE]

Hold Your Breath

Chapter Nine.

I sat in my last period, English, gazing blankly at the overhead protector where Mrs. Landinguin was lecturing about the book we had finished reading. Something buzzed in my pocket. Luckily no one had heard it. I took out my phone and laid it on my lap.

Hey, Vic, Can I call you Victoria? It sounds better.

I smiled at my phone and replied.

What do you want Ryan?

I put my phone down and looked at Mike who was sitting two rows away to my right. We still hadn't made up. How long could this continue? My phone buzzed again.

No? How about Tori?

Seriously Ryan,

Ok ok. After school, we're going to San Diego.

It's a Monday.

I'll have you home by 10, promise.

Fine.

K bye. See you...L

I stared at my phone. 'Bye see you L?' What was he going to say? I thought about texting him back but the last bell rung and made the decision for me. As I gathered my things, I noticed Mike staring at me. Our eyes met and my heart started racing. Should I even be going out with Ryan? I quickly walked out of the class. As I walked down the front steps I spotted Ryan parked in front of the school. He was leaning against his car with his arms crossed against his chest.

"What are you up to now?" I asked him.

He smiled at me and opened the passenger door, beckoning me to step in.

"You'll see." He answered getting into his seat and starting the car.

"You brought me to San Diego to take me to a museum?" I asked him as I poked the glass of a Civil War exhibit.

Ryan, who was eying the WWII veteran wall, looked at me in an appalled manner. I frowned at him.

"Of course not!"

I raised my eyebrows at him. Ryan walked over to where I was studying the Civil War exhibit.

"Hm, interesting," he said standing behind me and unnaturally close. He leaned over my shoulder; centimeters apart from contacting my face. I watched as he read the little synopsis on the wall. If either of us turned our heads we'd be... My heart raced as Ryan placed his hand over mine that was resting on the rail. His hand quickly retreated.

"Oh geez," Ryan said surprised backing away from me, "I didn't see your hand, I swear."

I smiled weakly at Ryan, "It's ok. Let's go home now?"

"No, wait, I haven't shown you the best part about this place."

I was about to protest but Ryan started to sprint away from me and rounded the corner. I sighed and chased after him. He was always halfway down the corridor when he opened a door and disappeared again. When I got to the door I gazed dubiously at the 'DO NOT ENTER' sign hanging on the outside. I was about to walk away when a hand appeared out of no where and pulled me inside.

"Almost there," Ryan said climbing a spiraling staircase.

I began to follow him, looking up at the never ending staircase. We must have been in the tower or something because it looked like a long way up.

"Isn't there an elevator or something?" I asked.

I heard Ryan laugh. As we climbed up the stairs, we chatted about nonsensical things. It was actually nice. I had never met anyone before who was passionate about anything and everything. Several tiring minutes later we reached a door. Ryan looked back at me.

"Ready?"

I nodded and watched as Ryan opened the door. A sea breezed swept past me and Ryan pulled me out on to the top. My breath was taken away. The view was absolutely amazing. I didn't know which was more beautiful, the night sky filled with stars or the deep calm blue bay that swayed peacefully in the breeze. And San Diego. It was completely lit up. It looked so amazing. How did Ryan ever come to find out about this place?

"How did you find this place?"

There was silence. I looked around for Ryan but didn't see him anywhere. My heart stopped. Where was he? My mind automatically jumped to the worst possible scenario. Ryan had fallen over the railing. I ran to edge, almost throwing myself over, to find his body.

"Ryan!" I screamed.

"Vic?"

I spun around so fast I almost knocked over Ryan and the contents in his hands.

"WHERE WERE YOU?"

He looked at me with a confused expression, "I was getting dinner?"

For the first time, I looked at what he was holding. I couldn't help but laugh. He looked so adorable carrying a picnic basket. Then I couldn't stop laughing. I laughed at myself for being so irrational in thinking the worst had happened. Ryan gave me a concerned look.

"Are you ok?"

I wiped a tear before answering, "Yeah, let's eat."

He smiled at me, "I hope you like PB&J"