My Life as a Mafia Princess

The wedding

Today is my wedding day and of course I woke up early still wrapped in Luca's arms I buried my head in his chest and inhaled. When I left the breath out I smiled, I was happy to wake up in his arms everyday. Yesterday was our rehearsal minus the dress and such, I was happy it went well and the weather was nice. Luca was right when he said that we'd figure something out between my cousin Vinny and his friend. Now we call Sal's underboss Vinnie and my cousin Vincent and it works.

I lay there for a few minutes longer until I felt Luca's embrace tightened around my waist. I looked up into his eyes and smiled, today was the day I would tell him my little secret but at the same time I had a bad feeling about today's events. Luca smiled back and slid down further into the bed and buried his head into my neck and kissed it. He than looked back into my eyes and smiled once more.

"Today's the day my darling." He said sitting up on his elbow and looking at me.

"That it is."

"Are you nervous?"

"No but I can't wait."

"Same here, I bet the day is just going to drag on."

I laughed. "Isn't that how it always works?"

"You are right." He said while brushing some hair out of my face.

I then managed to get out of his embrace and off of the bed. I grabbed some close and headed towards the bathroom. But not before Luca grabbed me hand and pulled me down.

"I love you Celeste."

"I love you too Luca."

I then stood back up and stalked off. When I got out of the shower Luca rushed in I almost laughed at how much of a hurry he was in. I then went downstairs to get something to eat and met Johnny on the way and walked to the kitchen with him. Lucy walked in right when we sat down; she looked at me and smiled.

"Look at you Celeste you're glowing."

I smiled.

"There are many reasons while I'm smiling today, but you're going to have to wait until the reception."

She pouted as she sat down beside me.

"You do realize how much I hate waiting."

"Yes I do and that makes it worth while."

I smiled and she did as well.

The rest of the family walked in and sat down at the table then breakfast was served. After breakfast I ran back upstairs to brush my teeth, I knew I'd be spending most of the day doing nothing. Luca was off doing manly things before this afternoon

After asking around to see if anyone needed help they all answered no I sat in the study bored to death. Then just as I was about to doze off Lucy ran in and literally pulled me off the couch and up to my room. This is where I was transformed from tomboy to a very girly-girl. The women were surprised at how different I looked.

"So everything is fine right? The guests are in their right seats and everything?"

"Yes Celeste, everything is fine." Said Lucy reassuring me. "Now Nalene, Claudia and I have to go to our spots your father will be up to get you."

I nodded my head showing her that it was alright. The bad feeling in my stomach, which I forgot about, was stronger now. I knew it wasn't for me marrying Luca, I wanted this.
Soon enough my father walked in the door with a wide smile on his face, I stood up and walked over to him and he pulled me into a tight hug. He kissed my forehead and started to lead me downstairs.

"You look so much like your mother today. You are so beautiful."

"Thank you daddy, but I wouldn't be in this spot today if you hadnt taught me everything in life."

He smiled at me again then we walked trough the door. There were gasps from everyone, but the one face I kept my eyes on was my soon to be husband standing at the altar with the biggest grin plastered on his face.

It had seemed like forever standing there in front of all of those people. And I mean a lot, we Sicilians or even Italians have very large families, and if your in the business my father's in its even bigger. Finally it was the end and Luca lifted my veil and kissed me, it was one of the happiest moments of my life.

Before the reception and speeches would start I went up to my room and got a more comfortable dress on. Before I went up to my room though, Luca and I had shared a dance, the same with my father and I. When I arrived at the table where everyone else was sitting Luca pulled me into an embrace. He pulled out my chair and when I sat down he pushed me in. When I looked at the crowd who was now chatting with each other I noticed someone who looked like they didn't belong. That's when I panicked, I looked at my father and grabbed his hand. When he looked at me I nodded in the guy's direction and he nodded.

Luca then stood up he was ready to make his speech, my father yelled no and that's when the gunshot rang out. The next thing I knew Luca fell down, Pete and Johnny yelled for some soldiers to get the guy while they made sure my father and I didn't get any bullets. I stood up even though my father tried to pull me down; I then kneeled down by Luca and pulled his head up on my knees. I was happy to see him still alive; he grabbed my hand as tears started to flow down my cheeks. I could feel a hand on my shoulder and looked up at Pete, then I looked back at Luca.

"Luca I should have told you earlier, I'm pregnant." I whispered, this caused him to smile. I knew he was fading fast.

"Don't worry I'll watch over our child. I want you to know I'll always love you."

"I love you too."

I let him down off of my knees then kissed him he had one hand on my cheek. Then after a couple of seconds his hand slid down and he was gone. I was pulled off of Luca by Pete I tried getting out of his arms but I gave up and just hugged him. My father came over to me and took me from Pete.

"Pete I want that man to sleep with the fishes," said my father angrily with my crying in his arms.

That night the guy did sleep with the fishes as I lay in my father's arms.

Today was supposed to be the day that Luca and I would celebrate seven years together in matrimonial bliss. His son Luca Santino Gravano knows all about his father, I had to tell him. He will not be in my father's business since I lost Luca to it. Speaking of father's the only one to ever be a real father to little Luca has been Michael who spent everyday with me after the funeral. I guess after all this while I grew fond of him, even if he'll never be Luca Vizzini.

My father met with the other Don's the day after Luca's funeral and manage to negotiate with them to get rid of these assailants. I'm just glad it's all over, and we'll never have to put up with it again. Michael, Luca and I stand here at my Luca's grave placing flowers down. I then looked up at the sky, I knew he really was looking down on us. I could feel his presence all of the time.