Lie In The Grass, Next To The Mausoleum

Lie In The Grass; Next To The Mausoleum- Five

I looked down at Pete’s hand, resting so innocently above my knee, and couldn’t control the smile which spread across my face. I chanced a glance at him, but he was watching the players do their football player thing, whatever that is.
My mind was reeling. Was this really happening, or what it some kind of cruel dream? I pinched the leg not occupied by Pete’s hand and grinned even wider when it stung. And I didn’t wake up. Suddenly, life seemed rosier: my English essay didn’t matter, my druggy mother wasn’t dying, and my father would never hit her again. He wouldn’t hit me, either, and I wouldn’t have to run to Siobhan’s crying when he was drunk and trying to touch me in ways a father should never touch his daughter. With a brush of his hand, Peter made my problems disappear.

*************************
"Stand up for the kickoff!" The cheerleaders yelled, waving their pompoms after halftime. Pete grinned at me and stood up, grabbing my arm and yanking me up with him when I remained sitting. I laughed, looking into his beautiful eyes and feeling warmth trickle through me like lava, invading my body and spreading all the way down to my fingertips. I suddenly had an idea.

"Are you cold Eve?" Pete asked, looking down at me as I shivered, and I nodded. I was mentally laughing as step one of plan "get Pete to put his arm around me" played out perfectly.

"Do you want my jacket?" He asked, his brows knitted.

"No no, I’m fine. Thanks." I said, not expecting this response. Our team kicked the ball, but to tell you the truth, I hadn’t paid any attention whatsoever to the entire first half, so I just clapped when everyone else did. Pete sat down, so I followed, hugging myself a little to give him the hint.
He glanced at me again and smiled a little, slinging his arm around my shoulder and pulling me closer.
YES!
My heart’s cheerleaders were going absolutely bonkers. They were toe-touching and back-flipping their brains out, and I was loving every minute of it.

Pete moved his hand back and forth on my arm (warming me up), and I snuggled in closer to him. It was like heaven. I fit so perfectly into his side; the dip of my waist lined up with the bone in his hip like a puzzle. I felt complete.
I think Pete realized that I wasn’t actually cold, and just wanted to snuggle with him, because he laughed. I could feel it humming through his chest and he drew me even closer, moving his hand from my shoulder to my waist.
I leaned my head on his shoulder and sighed, closing my eyes to the bright stadium lights and relaxing. I could feel Pete’s bare skin on my cheek, and it was so warm, so alive. It was as if the entire stadium full of people disappeared, and it was just Pete and me, only we were like one person in stead of two. Fused together on that bleacher, our hearts beating in unison and our lives forever intertwined.

*******************************************************
We won. 28 to 14.
The roars were deafening as the horn sounded, signifying the end of the fourth quarter, and the home team ran off of the field in celebration.
We were jostled as the spectators rushed to congratulate players, and we hurried to get down the bleachers and away from the mobs.
Pete had his hand on my lower back, keeping me by his side, and I grinned. It was the best feeling in the world.
I glanced over my shoulder for Siobhan, and spotted her a few feet behind me, clutching onto Casey’s arm as they pushed through the crowds. I looked at Pete, and he was watching too, smiling cheekily. It seemed that we had been right about those two.

"What do we want to do now?" Casey yelled above the din, putting his arm around Siobhan and pulling her into his body.
I looked at Pete for a suggestion, and he shrugged and looked to Casey again.

"We could go to my house and watch a movie or something." Siobhan said, her voice hoarse. I nodded my approval and looked at the boys, both of whom mirrored me.

"Cool. Well, let’s go." She said, putting her arm around Casey’s waist and moving ahead. They began pushing through the mob and Pete and I followed closely behind, Pete’s hand on my shoulder lightly.

After a short walk, we were traipsing up Siobhan’s driveway and around to the back gate (her parents weren’t too fond of boys in the house at night). She and I snuck into the house to check on her parents (they were safely in bed), before ushering Pete and Casey in the door and up the stairs to Siobhan’s room.
The room was huge, so space was not an issue. Casey stretched out on her king sized bed the second I shut the door, which left Siobhan, Pete and I to find a movie.

"Move over, fat ass." I ordered, slapping Casey on the chest. He grumbled, but rolled over to make room for the rest of us while Siobhan put “The Secret of Nimh” into the VCR.
She jumped on the bed next to Casey and flicked off the lights (she had this rad little remote thingie), which left me to climb in after her. Pete crawled up next to me after taking his shoes off, looking at me smiling. I grinned back and patted the spot next to me invitingly, which Pete accepted, wiggling to get comfortable among Siobhan’s pillows. He took my forearm and guided me into his chest, wrapping a strong arm around my shoulders and back. I felt his fingers twirling through my short hair, electric shocks running through me every time his fingers brushed my scalp.
I didn’t pay much attention to the movie. All I could focus on was the feel of Peter’s heart beating against mine, and the gentle caress of his fingers in my hair.
At one point, about half way through the movie, his hand left my hair and moved to my lower back. My t-shirt had ridden up about 6 inches and left a good portion of my back exposed, revealing creamy skin which was apparently too tempting for Pete. I had two small dimples just above the waistline of my jeans, and I shivered as his fingers softly explored them.
Suddenly, the bed shifted and Pete’s hands stopped their magic. I looked around, puzzled, and saw Casey and Siobhan walking toward the bedroom door. They opened it and left, leaving Peter and I looking at one another confusedly.
We seemed to make the same decision at the same time, because as soon as the door closed, we jumped up and followed them sneakily.
Down the stairs and into the dark kitchen they went, with Pete and me stalking them stealthily. We ducked behind a counter, holding back giggles, just as Siobhan turned to face Casey nervously.

"Do you want water?" She asked, and Casey nodded.

"Water would be great."
Siobhan made quick work of getting Casey ice water, handing him the glass awkwardly and standing there while he drank it.

"Thanks Siobhan." He said, handing her the glass and smiling softly. She nodded and put the glass in the sink, finally turning back to look at him.
I felt Pete shift uncomfortably beside me and I touched his arm, just wanting to be in contact with him. I think he knew, because he took my hand in his for the first time, lacing our fingers together and smiling. They fit so perfectly together.
I turned my attention back to Siobhan and Casey, and I had clearly missed something. Siobhan was now leaning into Casey for what was unmistakably going to be a kiss, tilting her head to the side slightly.
When she was about a millimeter away from his lips, Casey pulled away, shaking his head.

"I can't."
The look on Siobhan’s face was heartbreaking. She backed away from him, like he had a knife. Her eyes were the size of plates and I knew what would happen next. When Siobhan was humiliated… Sweet Siobhan… She got nasty. She said things that she came to regret.
I saw it in her eyes, and as Casey stepped forward, trying to explain himself, she put up her hand.

"Don't" she hissed. "Just don't."

"Siobhan, listen to me, I—"

"You know what Casey?" she said, her voice dripping with disdain.
I closed my eyes; it was coming, I felt it…

"Boys like you are overrated. So save your breath."