Lie In The Grass, Next To The Mausoleum

Lie In The Grass; Next To The Mausoleum- Eight

I couldn’t sleep all night. Pete’s voice kept echoing through my head. "I think I’m falling for you…"
When Siobhan entered the room, strangely dry-eyed, and laid down next to me, I just couldn’t resist telling her.

"Siobhan?" I asked into the darkness, earning a sleepy grunt.

"I have to tell you something."
*********
By the time I finished recounting the evening (minus the spying on her and Casey), Siobhan was wide awake. She had giggled when I gave her a very detailed blow-by-blow account of my “encounter” with Pete, and gasped when I confessed that Caleb had walked in on it.

"… and then he said "I think I’m falling for you."

*************
"Evie…. Eeeeeeevieeeeee….." I cracked an eyelid and groaned as Siobhan shook me gently.

"Wha?" I asked, my voice about two octaves lower than normal.

"We're going to Pete and Casey's soccer game." Siobhan whispered. I rolled over onto my stomach and burrowed farther into the pillows, only to be rolled over onto my back by Siobhan.

"You've left me no choice…" She said seriously, and then pounced on me, tickling everything she could reach. I shrieked and flailed, consequently falling off of the bed and causing Siobhan to bust up laughing.

An hour later (at 2:30), Siobhan and I were showered, dressed, and made up.
I was wearing knee-high black and white striped socks, black shorts, a baby pink t-shirt, and converse, while Siobhan was wearing her usual short skirt and pastel polo. Today it was teal.

When we got to the soccer field, the game had already started. Pete and Casey were both on the field, looking like they were roasting in the afternoon sun, and the only breeze was being created by the players running about.
New Trier always had a really good soccer team; we won the champs like, every year. But since I am definitely lacking in school spirit, I had never been to a game, so it surprised me when I recognized all of our players.
Adam, a guy in my science class, grinned and waved at me when Siobhan and I walked onto the sideline and set our sheet down on the grass. I waved back and helped Siobhan spread the sheet near where the New Trier coach was screaming at Casey, who evidently had missed a goal.

"Keep your eyes on the ball, Greene!" He screamed, and Casey managed to look guilty while trying to outrun the guy who was covering him.

"Yeah, keep your eye on the ball, Greene!" Siobhan yelled, and I sniggered as Casey looked around, confused. He finally spotted us and grinned widely, waving.
We waved back and I silently willed Pete to look over, but he didn't. So I took matters into my own hands.

"Pete!" I called, sitting up on my knees. He looked around and spotted me, cracking a grin and waving. I beamed back as he followed his man across the field, nearing the spot where Siobhan and I were sprawled. Well, Siobhan was sprawled. I was sitting up straight following Pete's every move.

So I'm obsessed. Sue me.

The guy Pete was covering got closer and closer to where we were situated, until finally he and Pete were scuffling for the ball about two feet away from us. The guy tripped up, and accidentally kicked the ball out of bounds, and Siobhan (with what she refers to as her "cat-like reflexes") promptly caught the ball.
At the whistle signifying the ball was out, Pete glanced at me and smiled. I smiled back, and was a little surprised when he ran over, dropped to his knees in front of me, took my face in his hands, and kissed me quickly on the lips before running back onto the field.

Despite the whistles and catcalls from the other players, I smiled. Not a fake smile, but a real genuine smile.
This was the way I wanted my life to be.