Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Devastated

Annabelle's Point of View

"Just you wait; tonight I'm going to come back with a diamond on my finger!"

"What are you yapping about now Aurelia?" Miss Widow asked walking me in threw the kitchen doorway. Miss Widow and her fellow… co-workers… lived in the last home on Spinner's Lane. Miss Sabina and Miss Iver turned around to us; the latter's cigarette smoke making a trail from her mouth.

"Oh, hey kiddo," she laughed leaning over and tapping her ash out the window. "What were you doing out so late? You got Widow running around the block." I stifled a giggle as Miss Widow playfully tapped the back of my head.

"Oh, she says she can stay out because it’s still light out. Something about summer having longer light hours," she said sarcastically and then smiled going over to the fridge. "Our baby's smart."

"I'm not working tonight," A red haired woman with a dark, navy blue dress danced her way around the room as she stopped and placed two hands on the back of a chair. Miss Dalry was a stunning woman; her hair was like rolling fire falling down over her shoulders. She was maybe the most… eager… to work her job.

"Oh don't you lie. You're going to be in the company of that toff that keeps buying you," came Miss Sabina's spiteful voice as she snorted out of her thin, long nose. She had been homeless her whole life, and hated anyone who was rich. "You aren't working, but you'll be working."

"Hush not in front of Annabelle," Miss Widow spat at the two of them and they instantly stopped talking. Miss Widow had loads of power over the people in the house.

Two knocks sounded at the front of the small two room house. Miss Dalry jumped and giggled running to the front door. A man with brown hair that slicked back over the top of his head entered, pulling on the front sleeve of his sports jacket. I recognized him as the father of the family in one of the nice homes.

"Hey Barry," she said with a tight smile that made her face almost child-like. He smiled and nodded politely to each of us before offering his arm to his date.

"It was nice seeing you ladies," Mr. Kavanagh said and let Miss Dalry out the door. She made a quiet squeal as she giggled clinking her heals on the floor as she gracefully sauntered out. I waved, pleased with her happiness, but found myself getting dizzy. So as I began to see darkness I closed my eyes and pressed my palm against my forehead.

"Annabelle, sit down I'll get you some milk," Miss Widow said worried. I nodded smiling and sat down in a weak wooden chair.

"Were those the people from your school that were out there?" she huffed setting the glass in front of me. I shook my head and brought both my gloved hands up to the glass, starting to take small gulps of the white substance. "What was that Snape boy doing with them?"

"Isn't that the chap you fancy?" Miss Iver giggled getting up so she could bend down next to me and pet my hair. I blushed and pushed my head down to the wooden table.

"And how do you know that?" Miss Widow chuckled seeing my embarrassment and laid her back against the fridge.

"Why she mouths words when she writes in her journal, you know I can read lips," she said proudly. I blushed harder and took a large gulp of milk. "Stop drinking like that or you'll get sick. Anyways, I'm guessing that by what Widow's saying means Narcissa, Lucius, and Regulus were with him too."

"So that's who they were," Miss Widow said. Miss Sabina blinked a few times before giving her a harsh look.

"Don't tell me they saw you?" The question seemed to elude Miss Iver, but a sort of shock hit Miss Widow as she grabbed the sides of her head.

"Oh Annabelle I'm sorry! I walked right up to you and asked you to come home! The Snape boy knows what I am."

"Hell now they think she's a whore too, you twit." I shook my head quickly and quickly mouthed some words. Miss Iver pouted continuing to play with my hair.

"Why don't you get bathed, you look a bloody mess," she said scooting out my chair out while I was still in it. I nodded and walked to the bathroom to clean up. After taking a shower, which took all the black dirt off my skin and hair, I stepped out to put on a towel. The mirror in the room was cracked in a few placed, but worked well enough that I saw my refection. I liked how I looked this way, cleaner.

"Here are some clothes!" I heard Miss Iver shout and some pajamas slid under the large gap under the door. "I've got some work tonight," she said this a little quieter as I began draping the nightgown over myself, "Widow's going to start cleaning your clothes so they can be dry soon. Have a good night’s rest, ok sweetie?" I shook the towel around my head and opened the door slightly.

"Good night Miss Iver," I mouthed and ran my fingers through my semi-dry hair. She smiled brightly and looked like she wanted to lean over and hug me, but stepped back closing her eyes.

I felt a small pang of guilt, so I reached over and took her hand gently into both of mine. She looked shocked as I pressed her hand against the side of my face and smiled. When she looked me in the eyes I saw her eyes overwhelmed with happiness.

With that small bit of affection she left much joyfully than she was planning on. When I went out to the main room I saw Miss Sabina standing up and fixing herself. She was wearing very, well, she wasn't wearing much. I felt bad for her; I could see the disgust on her face.

"No one can stay home tonight, so just wait for the clothes to be dry then get out," she said with ease as she ruffled up her hair, not even looking over at me. I nodded and laid the towel on my shoulders. I quickly went over to the couch and picked up her coat to hand it to her. She looked me up and down before grabbing it from me roughly.

"Thanks," Miss Sabina mumbled and gave me two soft pats on my cheek. I smiled cradling my jaw: she gave me small amounts of love when no one was around. She left quickly; ready to get the night over with. I sat on the floor in front of Miss Widow, who had finished scrubbing my clothes and was now drying them with a hair dryer.

"Anna, there's something I need to talk to you about," she said almost too quietly for me to hear over the hair dryer's vicious blowing. Not allowing her to see my nervousness at her sudden request, I smiled brightly and nodded.

"Mhmm?" She took her time responding. Her mouth was in a firm line and she kept her eyes on her work. But then, like lightning, she struck.

"Annabelle, maybe it’s time you didn't come over here anymore."

A bullet couldn't have hit me harder than what she said. I was devastated.

"It's just…" She took a pause from drying the clothes but then continued "… you shouldn't be around the kind of company we keep. Who knows what one of the men will do to you, you're getting older. People can't keep seeing you with us or you'll never be seen right in this neighborhood, and I won't be the reason you get put into this kind of work," she let out coarsely. I shook my head and reached over for her hand, which she back away from.

"That won't happen," I said just loud enough to be heard over the hair dryer. I smiled determined to convince her.

"You know it will," she told herself turning off the blow dryer. She picked up the clothes she had been folding with love and held them out to me.

"But you give me all my food," I said, my voice giving a small crack despite my smile and sunny voice. She looked up at me, just to try and see if somehow she would see something she'd never seen before: me crying. But, seeing that it wasn't the case, she pushed the clothes into my chest lightly still acting like the mother she had been for me.

"There are better people than us that can help you, that won't put you in harm’s way. Just please get out," she said with a fading voice.

"But I will be in harm’s way. I don't know who to trust. If I don't get food or shelter I'll have to ask someone to—"

"JUST LEAVE!" She had finally snapped pushing me with the clothes. I stumbled back and held onto the clothes loosely. We stood in a deep silence for quite some time before I spoke up, finally gathering my confidence.

"Alright Miss Widow, I'll do as you say." My smile shone, not as bright as it could have, but bright enough. I took the clothes in my arms and put them in my bag before leaving the house I have called a safe haven for most my years on the streets.

As I left the home and walked into the now dark night, the sobs from inside the house that held all four of Spinner's End's prostitutes were heard by no one but me. I tried not to focus on the growing pain in my chest and growing heat in my eyes and face. I blinked furiously to get the tears back into their sockets, but failed letting a small trail fall down my chin.

I laid in the slide at the park for the rest of the night. I didn't care if someone saw me or if someone I knew noticed who I was. I just wanted to escape it all. I loved them like family. Miss Widow was a mother that would always be doting on you; Miss Iver was the older sister who would always play with you or cheer you up; Miss Dalry would be a little brother who would take nothing seriously; and Miss Sabina was the calm and collect older brother who wouldn't show affection towards you in front of his friends, but then would give you hugs and laugh with you when no one looked.

I was devastated; I couldn't lose a family twice.

"Annabelle?" Four hours later I heard someone speak. Severus had walked onto the woodchip play ground and stood in front of me. I smiled slightly as I sat up and waved ever so gently.

"Hey."

"Why aren't you with those sl… muggles?" I tried to smile and ran a hand through my still wet hair. He could tell something was wrong and sat down on the side of the plastic beige slide.

"Do you want to come inside?" I looked up to him and nodded silently, my throat tight. Benvolio, who had been curdled up next to me, meowed and stretched before bouncing alongside us. We walked to his house in silence. Severus opened the door silently.

The first thing I noticed was that the walls were littered with books, most of them were thick and had spines of black or brown. The room was dark and a lamp, that would most likely be usually lit, was out and hanging from the ceiling. Severus pulled me into that living room and set up a small candle.

"You can stay here for tonight; just don't make too much noise." I agreed to the simple demand and sat down on the threadbare sofa playing with my hair. I got my blanket and put it over myself to warm up, because by then I was freezing.

He brought in some tea from the kitchen, and placed it in front of me. I blew on it taking a few sips, it tasted like water and a bitter dust. I took a couple more sips before sitting it down in my lap. Severus looked uncomfortable as he sat clenching and unclenching his fists nervously.

"What do you want to ask?" I asked quietly looking over to the side. He bit the inside of his cheek and lifted his nose in an uncomfortable face.

And then his bluntness and curtness got the better of him.

"Are you a prostitute?"

My smile grew ever so slightly as I shook my head.

"No," I said quietly and he smirk that lopsided, cocky smirk. He smoothly picked up his tea again and drank, which gave me time to see his long night shirt and boxer shorts. None were too flattering to most people. He had scrawny legs, seeing as how lanky he was, and his hair was flat as a pancake. I didn't mind; after all, I was a toothpick and he still spent time with me. But his pale skin was mesmerizing by candle light.

"But you are homeless?" I nodded at this and for some reason he didn't react sadly. In fact, he just continued drinking his tea, which I was glad he did. I continued to look around.

"I like your house," I whispered putting the cup down and pat the seat cushion next to me. He smirked again trying not to let me see the obvious pink infiltrating his cool expression as he sat next to me. I shared my blanket with him and let my head leaned back on the couch as I yawned. He made a sort of scoff. Then continuing to feign anger he smiled ever so slightly.

"Thanks," he muttered and closed his eyes leaning his head back as well. And then for the second time in nearly a year we slept on a couch unconsciously getting closer every hour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: So a bit of foul language, but not too much of that.