Status: Active

Annabel Lee

A Dog Show

Annabelle’s Point of View

Like every year, the Hogwarts students invited to the traditional Malfoy Halloween Ball were allowed to Floo off grounds. We had arrived at the Malfoy Mansion in the morning, early enough for Narcissa, Regulus, and Severus to prep me both physically and mentally for the ball.

“Annabelle, stop fidgeting,” she commanded as she pulled a brush through my hair. I was perched in front of the vanity in a bathrobe provided for us. “You know, you’re hair is really easy to manage when you have the right products in it,” she told me, to which I responded with a small smile.

I sat so childishly, moving around anxiously and curling my fingers around the bottom of the chair. Narcissa said that I never seemed to grow out of it in all our years knowing each other. She flicked her wand and extracted the water that was dripping from my hair, placing it in a small bowl on the counter.

“What would you like to do for your hair?” I smiled and shrugged. Narcissa giggled ruffled my hair, something I allowed more and more frequently. “Come on, any idea?” I thought for a moment before I reached out shyly and pointed to a picture on the vanity. It was a picture of Lucius and Narcissa from Halloween two years back. “You’re adorable,” she cooed and pointed her wand at my hair once more. She closed her eyes, breathing deeply as her hair curled and twirled in the air. It pulled back loosely to create a luxuriously style. “Is it missing something?”

“Ribbon?” I offered.

“Yes!” she cheered and went to her little back of beauty products, pulling out a silver ribbon. She wrapped it around the top of my head twice. Once she was finished, she pulled one of my curls playfully. “Now you’re hair is perfect.”

“Thank you,” I mumbled astonished before standing up from the stool. She put her hands on my shoulder lightly so as not to receive a shutter.

“No problem, now get your dress on and we’ll head out to meet the boys. Here, I’ll change behind the screen,” she offered. As she walked behind the oriental dressing screen where her gown hung carefully, I slowly stripped off the robe. I had already put on a strapless bra and underwear.

I stood in front of the mirror for a while, running my fingers over every rib, over my protruding collarbone and my jutting hips. I felt a sort of depression at the sight. I usually avoided looking in mirrors, but I couldn’t ignore it this time. I stood in front of it, staring holes into my skin, analyzing every little edge of my boney figure. My weight had improved slowly, but reached a sort of plateau recently. My weight didn’t go up any, but it didn’t really go down. But it was enough to stop the whispers at my back, so I couldn’t complain.

The sound of ruffling cloth brought me back to the task at hand. I carefully stepped into the dress Narcissa had helped me pick out. The creamy white silk was embroidered with lace down to my bum, the rest beneath it flowing out in a silky pedal-like appearance. I tried in vain to grab at the zipper along the back but couldn’t find it.

“Here, let me help,” I heard my friend call from behind me and the zipper climbed up my back with its nipping teeth. In the mirror I examined her strapless dark hazy blue dress. At my parents’ orders, it puffed out in traditional ball gown fashion in its entire silk splendor.

“You’re beautiful,” I cheered with an excited smile. Narcissa’s face genuinely flushed a little at my compliment, something she rarely did.

“The straps aren’t supposed to go there,” she scolded me as she watched me try to pull the flowing straps up my shoulders. Instead she reached out and loosely slid them off my shoulders. “They’re merely for decoration, let them hang.” I felt so bare without my hair or scarf, I fidgeted at the lack of cover.

“You’re gorgeous,” she squealed taking my hand. I smiled back as she started leading me out of the room. Narcissa was pulled to Lucius’s side the moment we stepped out of the room.

“Took you long enough,” he said. He and Severus wore similar black dress robes. Lucius had greased his hair back, looking like some kind of toff. Severus looked almost like a different person.

“You cut your hair?” I asked smiling brightly. Severus didn’t turn to me.

“Our parents are waiting for us,” Lucius said taking Narcissa’s arm rapidly. She followed wordlessly, leaving Severus and I in the hallway. I kept my eyes on the sparkling silver of my shoes, but I could feel Severus’s eyes boring into my frame.

“You look…” he started to say and I looked up to watch him. He stopped short of what he was going to say andgrowled coughed. I smiled at his embarrassed scowl. He quickly regained composure. “Are you ready for this?” he asked soberly. I nodded any doubt out of Severus’s expression.

“You’ve given me all the information you could. Now it’s my job to use it wisely,” I said thoughtfully. Severus seemed to accept my answer, turning on his heels and walking to the top of the stairs, a door separating us from a room full of Death Eaters.

“Be careful out there,” he said as I reached out to take his left arm. “Wait!” he hissed and I took my hand away quickly. He walked around me and offered his right arm instead.

”Stay clear of anyone who has a tattoo on their left forearm,” Severus said while rummaging through a notebook. Eventually he pulled out an old piece of paper with a drawing on it. It was a skull with a snake protruding from its mouth.

“Just the left?” I asked running a hand over the paper to feel its texture. I didn’t question why I would avoid them. However I didn’t give him a look to his forearms. He noticed and rolled up both his sleeves.

“Just the left.”


I took his arm gingerly and carefully avoided the house elves that opened the double doors for the staircase. My heart lost control and started beating rather fast.

“Severus,” I whispered weakly, making no attempt to mask my fear. However, he seemed to make little note of it, scarcely turning his head to size my concern.

“Try not to show your true emotions show, they can smell fear,” he warned as the doors slowly creaked open. My eyes were greeted with a barrage of bright lights, mostly cast by an extravagant chandelier hanging from the extremely high ceiling.

As Severus had instructed, I kept my head straight forward, chin tilted down only slightly with my eyes closed in neither a malevolent nor fearful manner. Severus had helped me with manners, but Narcissa had been the one who taught me how to hold myself. An enchanting orchestra played from both sides of the stairs. I felt as if I was on the Titanic on its Grand Staircase.

I was afraid I’d get sea-sick. I gripped Severus’s arm tighter.

“Snape! Glad to see you could make it,” Avery called as we reached the bottom of the stairs. The two people he had been talking to, along with a few nosy socialites, turned our way. It was Severus, this time, who would take hold of my arm.

“Avery,” Severus addressed sharply. Avery’s smirk turned into a smile, an uncomfortable and tight one, but a smile nonetheless.

“I don’t believe any of you have met Snape’s lovely date.” The word came out slightly venomous. “This is Annabelle Emaciare. She’s a Slytherin with the rest of us, a fifth year.” With a smile as polite as I could make it, the two made identical curt nods. “Annabelle, these two are Alectro and Amycus Carrow.”

“A pleasure,” the girl, Alectro, said very tight lipped and snide. Her face, just like her brother’s, was plump with large eyes and small lips. “I graduated just a few years ago from Beauxbatons, my brother from Durmstrang.”

“Fantastic schooling in the Dark Arts, but from what I hear any school is more advanced in that territory than Hogwarts,” her brother, Amycus, said. Severus, who had stayed emotionless to this point, made a quick mocking smirk.

“You’re forgetting that He came from Hogwarts,” he remarked smartly. Amycus was taken back.

“I meant since that Dumbledore loon has become Headmaster,” he quickly rebuttled.

“Nicely put,” Avery said nodding and smirking at the siblings but I saw him look at me out of the corner of his eye. Severus must have noticed too because he pulled the arm I was holding closer to his body in somewhat of a yank. “I believe Bellatrix and the Malfoy family are waiting around the Salazar sculpture.” Severus and I took that as a signal to leave. As we walked gracefully away I took a small sigh and giggled.

“That wasn’t so hard,” I whispered to him, turning my face all the way up to his. He didn’t return the look, instead frowning even more.

“It’s only been a few minutes. Make sure to speak clearly for the Malfoys and Blacks.”

“I remember,” I responded after a hesitant breath. Then I saw Lucius and Narcissa standing in front of each other, not talking. Instead, the mothers at each of their sides were chatting in low voices. As if sensing my anxiety, the two women turned their heads towards Severus, then to me.

"Remember to keep composure. Don’t ever let them know you’re afraid,” Severus warned me, continuing to pace the floor. When he reached one wall, he would rapidly turn and rush to the next, his hair slapping his face. “They can all whiff out disloyalty to the cause.”

“What is the cause, Sev?” I asked reading the notes written in his Potions Book I had given him the other year. He didn’t answer immediately and sat down on the opposite side of the bed. I knew it would be bad.

“I suppose telling you before Halloween would be the best course to take,” he muttered keeping his back to me. “They want to take out any impurities in the wizarding blood-pool: squibs, muggle-borns and their families, and eventually muggles.”

“How?” I started but my voice was too soft. “How do they do that?” I turned to his back when he didn’t answer. “Severus?” It took another long pause for him to signal a response. He looked silently over his shoulder, giving an ominous stare, a deadly look. The realization paralyzed me. “Sev, say anything but that.”

“Nothing extreme so far,” he assured me. “But punishment is fierce for those let into this circle but don’t reciprocate this animosity. That’s why you’ll have to be careful.”


“Hello, Snape, Annabelle,” Lucius announced and turned to the two towering women. “Mother, Mrs. Black, these are friends of ours from school.”

“Hello, Mrs. Malfoy, Mrs. Black. It’s a pleasure to see you again,” Severus said monotone but pleasant, just polite enough for the occasion. Mrs. Black nodded with a skeptic smile where as Mrs. Malfoy smiled brightly.

“Oh yes, you’ve come over quite a bit over the years. Severus, who is your date?” Severus, if not a tad bit awkwardly, placed his hand on my arm.

“This is Annabelle Emaciare. She’s in the same house and year,” he answered. I smiled as calmly as I could. The eyes of these women were incredibly intimidating. Narcissa stepped forward to her mother’s gaze.

“Remember the girl friend I’ve talked about, Annie?” she said with bright eyes and her mother got a similar gleam.

“Oh how lovely to meet you,” she said reaching out her hand for me to shake.

”Make sure to shake their hands properly,” Severus informed me. He turned pink as I reached across the bed and gently held it like a lady would.

“Like this?”

“… Yes…”


“A pleasure, ma’am,” I said sweetly and then shook hands with Mrs. Malfoy, whose skin was much cooler.

“You have a lovely home,” I told her and her thin smile widened.

“Isn’t it glamorous? I went with much more Victorian theme than last year,” she said motioning to the brilliant bright lights shining on the decorations. Everything was white or black, stunning and striking. As my eyes scanned the room, the orchestra ended the song they had been playing and held a pause for applause. The group in front of us instinctively began clapping. Severus and I caught on just in time to join them before the next song started.

“You kids should go enjoy the dancing. Celebrate our holiday,” Mrs. Black suggested. We all knew it was somehow more than that, more like a command.

“You’re right, Mrs. Black,” Lucius complimented and knowing look passed between two parents. Like so many pureblood families. I imagined the parents were setting up a marriage agreement. Narcissa took his arm swooning at her beau’s manners, but threw Severus a disguised look. Slowly he nodded his head once.

“It was nice meeting you Mrs. Black, you too Mrs. Malfoy,” I said as confidently as possible. Both gave approving nods as out four-man group walked to the crowd of dancing couples. As Lucius and Narcissa stepped onto the dance floor, basking in the glow of attention, Severus and I could barely look at each other. We struggled to will ourselves into the crowd.

”Snape is a bit…” Regulus paused trying to find the right words, “apprehensive about of his public image, as he should be in this party. So don’t be offended if he’s not so keen on the whole dancing thing.” I blushed as he took out his wand.

“So the dancing is mandatory?”

“It’s mandatory especially if one of the hosts suggests it. It’s not so bad. So you’ll have to initiate any physical contact for when you dance.”

“…. Physical?” Regulus gave me a brotherly hair pat and laughed.

“Annabelle, I love you, but its ball dancing. You’ll be close, there will be hand to hand contact, arms to waist, stuff like that,” he told me tapping the record player with his wand. Immediately a song began playing.

“Wow,” I mumbled rubbing my hands together slowly.

“Don’t worry about it though,” he told me calmly. “Snape’s learned how to dance after the last few holiday balls. You won’t be losing any toes.”

“Right,” I whispered turning red. “But I don’t know how to.”

“It’s all about physical contact. Here,” he insisted as he lifted me to my feet. “Let’s start with hands going here.”


I placed my hands where Regulus had told me to, thankful for his lesson. My hand held onto his and my other stayed securely on his shoulder. Though Severus had a small moment of surprise he took action.

“I see Narcissa helped you with dancing,” he muttered coolly taking steps to lead me. I couldn’t tell him it had been Regulus who was my teacher.

“I see she helped you as well,” I giggled softly, noticing his careful steps to avoid my feet. He briefly turned a shade of pink and his rhythm faltered. We decided to dance the first dance in silence, mostly due to the complexity of the movement. There were small turns and spins, touching waists. We had to stay silent to enjoy it.

The second dance had the passing of partners. An older boy with a long, but attractive, face was my alternate partner. Whenever we were to hover our hands close, he would make sure to break the invisible barrier and touch.

“Of what family do you associate with?” he whispered as we passed each other at one point. I tried not to make eye contact as I regained composure.

“I’m a friend of the Black and Malfoy children,” I informed him. As I was passed back to Severus for a moment he gave me a questioning look and I tried not to look too frightened. As I was passed back to my other partner he barely acknowledged my response and kept asking me questions.

“Have we met before? You look very familiar,” he drawled as we walked away from each other and then back.

“A student of Hogwarts?”

“Yes.”

“A Slytherin?

“Of course.”

“What year?”

“Fifth.”

“And your name?”

”You need to answer questions when asked them, especially by the older crowd. They hold exceptional power,” Severus told me as we walked in the rain to the carriage. “But don’t give them too much.”

“What do I do if they want too much?” I asked pulling my hood tighter. He stared straight at the ground with the most discrete smirk he could muster.

“You’ll have to finally show the qualities of a Slytherin.”


“I’d rather like to hear yours first,” I said almost playfully but still with a touch of coolness.

“I’m sure you’ll find out soon enough. It means nothing for me to learn yours first,” he remarked keeping composure. As we passed each other again he touched my waist. The tempo was about to change so I knew I’d be safe in Severus’s arms after my next answer if I drug it out.

“It means good manners, and if nothing else we Slytherin should pride ourselves on manners, blood, and cunning,” I said robotically remembering the main qualities of my house. His face twitched slightly but he smirked.

“You know I’m Slytherin?”

“I also know you graduated just two years ago from my school,” I said with a happy smile. “Have a nice night Mulciber,” I chanted twirling back to Severus. He had kept eyes on me the entire time.

“What did he want?” he asked sharply. The moment I was back in his arms, I slouched slightly in exhaustion. I gently ran my hand down his shoulder to his bicep.

“Just trying to figure out my alliances,” I said softer than usual. I was pushed to my limit of fear and anxiety. Severus noticed and held up my arm when I almost stumbled.

“Are you alright?” he whispered and I looked up with rapidly blinking eyes. He groaned and quickly took this as our excuse to leave the dance and walk out onto the balcony. “Fresh air helps best,” he told me and I gripped onto the railing. My hands were shaking but I was able to keep the rest of my body steady. The frosty breeze didn’t bite at my skin, but rather it felt like water running over me. Maybe the storm hadn’t passed.

It took me a while to catch my breath and I had to stay out there for at least five minutes. When my hands finally stopped shaking, I noticed Severus hiding from view of the partiers by leaning against a wall that faced the courtyard.

“How many of these balls have you attended?” I asked walking to a position in front of him.

“Too many,” he moaned running a hand through his hair.

“Who did this for you?” I asked stepping closer to inspect it. He pinched the bridge of his nose. “I guess Narcissa really likes see peoples’ necks.” Severus smirked in a playful manner.

“I’ve never seen yours before. You always hide it in some way,” he said with a scoff. I smiled and reached out my hand and felt the new, shorter length.

“You did the same. It was like you used your hair like a little black cloak,” I teased him. Unintentionally, I began rubbing the strands of black between my fingers softly. He glared at me, but it was only one of mock anger. He didn’t respond for a while, so I continued to touch his hair. “I really like it, Sev.”

“Whatever,” he grumbled silently, his embarrassment getting the better of him.

“Thanks for inviting me,” I told him gently as I withdrew my hand. Severus quickly swiped the piece of hair I’d been stroking away.

“You just had a panic attack, you don’t have to lie and say you’re enjoying yourself,” he said giving me an annoyed look. I gave him a small smile before I turned away to the balcony.

“I’ve never had opportunities. I’ve never had opportunities before for anything. Some of the girls back at the house used to dream about stuff like this, balls and dresses and chandeliers, but I never did because I knew I’d never be able to. I knew I’d probably never be able to have a meal without lifting it or dumpster diving, or be able to avoid becoming like Miss Widow or Miss Sabina. I owe everything in my life right now to you guys. So being a little nervous is nothing. I’d do anything for you guys.” I reached out and took his left hand a bit nervously. He was looking at me like I’d turned into some kind of siren.

“We’re putting you in danger just bringing you here. Stop thanking me, alright?” he said in shock. He wasn’t angry, even if it came out that way. I just knew it.

“You were scared for me back out there with Mulciber, weren’t you?” I asked stepping a bit closer to him.

“No,” he said with unnecessary speed. He looked over to his left to stare at nothing.

Without a word, I walked forward and hugged him.

Nearly every muscle in his body clenched, I didn’t remember hugs being so stiff. I let my arms wrap up his back, my head facing the opposite direction of his. We didn’t move from that stop, I was afraid he wouldn’t hug back. It wouldn’t have mattered though, this wasn’t for me.

But then he proved me wrong. Pulling me closer with one of his arms around my waist, he moved his head to it was facing down at the top of my head and then started cautiously pulling at my curls of hair. He was taking enjoyment in the small act.

We stayed like that for a long time, saying nothing, me resting my ear to his chest and Severus touching my hair. After a while he rested his hand by running it down my neck to my shoulder. He was completely at ease.

“Do these parties always seem like dog shows?” I said quietly with a grin in my voice. I felt his chest rumble for a moment.

“All the parents parading their kids about, getting judged on looks, house, and blood, I’d say they’re all exactly like bloody dog shows,” he sighed with little conviction. Just as we were both smiling in our peace, footstep came running at our hiding spot. We barely had time to separate. A mess of black robes flung itself out through the balcony entrance and against the wall.

“Regulus,” I squeaked trying to get my face back to a normal pale complexion. He was panting like a maniac and stared at me with crazy eyes.

“Shh!” he hissed putting a finger to his lips. We both looked at each other in silent mockery of our friend as a girl with bouncing cinnamon curls came walking out onto the balcony.

“Reg?” Dear goodness, a banshee’s voice. As she turned and saw Regulus against the wall she giggled. “There you are, sweetie. Great idea, we can celebrate the holidays out here,” she practically purred as she started hiking up her dress.

“Priscilla,” he said taking her hands as she tried to pull down something beneath her dress, “I came out here to have a chat with my mates.” He nodded in our direction and she immediately straightened up. Gloves on and readjusting her dress, she stepped towards us.

“It’s always a pleasure to meet new people. Priscilla Lance, you two would be?” she asked holding out her hand for us to shake. I was so stunned by her performance seconds ago I couldn’t move, Severus wouldn’t shake her hand either.

“Severus Snape.” He pronounced the name smoothly.

“Annabelle Emaciare. Nice to meet you,” I said sweetly. She looked at both of us with an uninterested frown.

“I’ve never heard of either of you. Reg, can’t we go somewhere alone?”

“We—!”

“Well, aren’t you all a sight?” I heard a woman cackled from the balcony opening. Everyone got dead quiet as she stepped forward into the moon light. Black hair flew in the wind in front of her, staining her pallid face. Severus took a step away from the wall so he could slightly shield me from view as he addressed the woman.

“Evening, Bellatrix.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: Hello lovelies, I hope you like the update. Sorry they are coming so slowly. Comment, message, and subscribe please!