Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Meeting Our Lord

Annabelle's Point of View

Bellatrix stood domineeringly at the archway. Her hands strongly placed on her hips, she approached the four of us.

“Leave,” she commanded Priscilla with a cold stare and a bored tone. Narcissa and Lucius appeared in the doorway behind Bellatrix. For a moment Priscilla looked like she might argue with her, but her eyes shot quickly to the ground.

“Of course,” she breathed, clacking away with her in her shiny silver shoes.

“Really cousin, must I always intervene?” she smirked coming to a stop in front of Regulus. He smiled a bit and rubbed the back of his head.

“Thanks, Bella,” he replied shortly. Her eyes suddenly fell upon Severus and me against the wall. Compared to the blink of disdain she gave Sev, her chilling and prodding eyes froze me solid.

“Who's your little playmate, Snape?” she asked curiously. Severus stood by me at a respectable distance. Regulus was the first to respond.

“This is our friend Annabelle, the girl we told you about,” he chimed giving me a nod and I stepped forward.

“It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Bellatrix,” I said sweetly with as charming a smile I could muster. Her demeanor shifted a to a much lighter presence.

“So glad you came! I was afraid I'd have to wait till Christmas break for us to finally meet,” she cheered striding towards me and lifted her hand for mine to shake. As we did, the vibrant tattoo on her left forearm became strikingly apparent. She must have seen my eyes drift, because she turned her arm while our hands were still connected to show it off. “Lovely, isn't it?”

“Brilliant,” I chirped softly, a bout of warm dizziness shook me. I could feel Severus staring at my profile. Her eyes went up to mine and I felt a small prick at the back of my brain.

“Do you remember Christmas from Second Year? The spell I used?” Severus asked flying his quills across his Astrology paper. I continues to pet Benvolio gingerly.

“Yes,” I mumbled recalling the vivid flashbacks he saw.

“That spell isn't just for memories.” He put down his quill. “Someone could read or warp another's mind.” Afterwards he picked his quill back up and continued his essay.

“You think someone at the party might use it one me?” I asked rubbing my nose against Benvoilio's.

“I'd count on it,” he groaned rubbing his temples vigorously. “We don't have enough time to teach you the spell to counter it.” I stared deep in Benvolio's dark eyes and made a decision.

“I guess I'll just have to play the part.” When I put down Benvolio Severus was starring up at me. “Just don't hate me at the end of it all.” He shook his head and sighed in his typical fashion, going back into our comfortable silence.


“It must be a great honor to be in the inner circle,” I breathed astonished, still fighting the picking at the back of my brain. Bellatrix retrieved his hand and kissed her dark mark.

“About time Snape made the right choice in girls,” she quipped before turning to her sister. “You two need to come with me.” Narcissa grabbed Lucius's hand and grinned.

“We'll see you all later,” she cheered stepping forward.

“Not him, Cissa,” Bellatrix said glancing back at me. “The three of us are going to have some quality girl time with a very special guest.” Regulus from the background stepped forward but Bellatrix rose her hand. “You boys will meet us in the Library at nine. He's requested your attendance,” she grinned before walking towards me. I looked back at Severus desperately but he stood stiff with a frozen expression.

“Bellatrix,” he started, but she grabbed my hand, sending me into a small panic.

“Don't worry, Snape. I'll take good care of your little date.” As we started our way into the ballroom and up the stairs again, Narcissa went to her sister's side.

“Um, Bella, Annabelle's not really good with people touching her,” she told her calmly. Her sister turned to my slightly shaken form.

“Oh, sorry dear,” she sighed releasing my wrist. I shuffled back at little to stand next to Narcissa.

“Cissy,” I whispered keeping my eyes forward. “Who are we meeting?” Narcissa gave me a nervous glance and shook her head.

“I'm not sure.” We walked to the end of the hall and back up the next flight of stairs. The dark marble only made me feel more woozy as my heels tried to slip from under me on the slippery surface. I felt relieved when I felt the sturdiness of wood paneling in the library. The room was dark and brooding compared to the twinkling brightness of downstairs.

“He'll be here in a moment. Make yourselves comfortable,” Bellatrix said sitting herself down into one of the Malfoy's lush chairs. I walked around the room, fingering the bindings of the the books on the shelves. It was calming, the feeling against my fingertips. Some of them had to be decades to centuries old, the paper was yellow and felt like canvas.

“Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”

Poe's words came to me, blanketing me with a sense of calm. I was strong. I could do this. I'd been trained for weeks, how couldn't I be ready by now?

As far as I was concerned I was unbreakable, and as the sound of a door opening across the room prompted Bellatrix to leap from her chair and I could hear footsteps approaching I knew who I had to be.

A strikingly handsome dark-haired man walked forward from the darkness. His pale, slightly waxy, skin cut through the shadows of the bookshelves. The man slowly looked over the room and quickly found my eyes. I found myself stiffening, my mouth drying. Without breaking our gaze, I could see out of the corner of my eye Bellatrix biting the side of her lip excitedly as Narcissa straightening her posture.

This was him, wasn't it? The Dark Lord.

Rather than satisfy Bellatrix's obvious urning for his gaze, the man tilted his head to speak behind him, his eyes remaining on me.

“Is this the girl, Mulciber?” My mind finally felt free enough for me to break gaze and see Mulciber walk forward to the man's side.

“Yes, My Lord. Annabelle Emaciare of Hogwarts: a Fifth Year in Slytherin.”

He talks as if he's researched this all himself rather than me telling him.

“It is of the greatest pleasures to see you in good health, Master,” Bellatrix cooed in a twisted dark manner. Her master turned his attention then to Bellatrix who was now melting with anticipation and gave her a nod of approval.

“Thank you, Bellatrix,” his pauses haunting each word, “for finding her.”

“It have me the utmost pleasure to service you, Master,” she grinning at the praise. “She was with Snape and my cousin.”

“Retrieve them, Mulciber,” the Dark Lord commanded. Mulciber briskly walked by Bellatrix's mocking smile and left the room. Against the protests of my thumping chest, I cleared my mind.

I guess its show time, Sev.

“Step forward, girl,” He commanded and I took two steps forward before bowing my head. He in return approached me menacingly. “Your friend Miss Black-” he lifted a thin, pale hand to a stone faced Narcissa, “-assures me you are a remarkable witch of your age.”

“Thank you, My Lord.” How dreadful the taste of those words were. “I believe she simply flatters me.”

“I don't flatter anyone, Miss Emaciare,” he stated plainly, no emotion. “Wordless magic at your age and to my knowledge you've skipped a year. You would be rather useful.” The pricking at the back of my skull was faint but detectable. “What is your blood status?”

“Um, half-blood, Sir,” I said trying my best to sound ashamed of myself. I all honesty a feeling of disgrace began to creep into my skin. Bellatrix from the corner grunted in disgust from across the room.

“What a shame.”

“Yes, your blood status may prove to be an issue,” his voice hissed as he began walking around me. “Who are your parents?”

“Franklin Caulton and Emelia Emaciare, My Lord,” I said smiling faintly at Narcissa as her stoney expression had wavered.

“You're taken on your mother's maiden name, then? Why?” He asked as He passed behind me, the icy aid of death creeping up my spine. I cleared my throat lightly.

“He was muggle.” I said it spitefully. I found it easy to say it so. Was I really pretending at this point? Voldemort stopped in front of me, eye focused on me intently.

“And what do you think of muggles, Emaciare?” Bellatrix leaned in from her chair and Narcissa twitched her hands over her dress nervously. The pricking in the brain suddenly became more intense.

“In all truthfulness, My Lord, I feel nothing for them. I don't hate them, but it also can't be said that I like them. They're just there,” I said beginning to waver near the end. I groaned at the intense pricking in my mind.

“Liar,” He hissed scornfully and I buckled over onto my knees. Never had my blood felt so thick or my body so heavy. I was stone. “I can sense it in you-”

“My Lord it is true, she feel nothing towards those bloody-”

“Quiet, Narcissa!” he shouted, silencing her and Bellatrix glanced protectively to her sister. “But that's not true is it Emaciare? I can feel it,” he whispered bending to my eye-level, “your hatred. Your disgust for those muggles just like your father.” At his words I found the strength to lift my head in look Him in the eye. They were glittering with malice and excitement.

What surprised me most was that I felt it: the rage. As scared as I was, every inch of me was filled with fire. At that moment I felt more hate than I ever had before in my life.

“Tell me, what do you think of them?” Voldemort asked me again, his eyes penetrating. He knew what I was feeling.

“They're disgusting,” I hoarsely snarled, my nose wrinkling. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Narcissa become taken aback. “I'd kill them all myself if I could.” The dark thoughts in my mind began to fill me up completely, I saw myself hurting muggles, torturing them, killing them.

And I enjoyed it.

Voldemort's face twisted into a smirk and stood up.

“Very good then,” he sighed and suddenly all the hate and anger I felt lifted off my heart. I wasn't dizzy, or heavy, or out of breath. In fact I felt so good I was able to think clearly enough for the first time since He came in the room.

Did I really just say those things? A second later I heard the door of the library open itself and footsteps stop in the doorway.

“Snape,” Bellatrix laughed dancing up from her chair. “I thought you said she wasn't a believer.” She bounced over to me and grabbed the sides of my face that were damp with sweat. “Smashing, I was worried it would harm our friendship. Take care dear,” she said sweetly and left the room after bowing to her Lord. I lifted my head while gulping down a breath as it became slightly erratic. Severus, Lucius, and Regulus were standing in the doorway.

“My Lord,” they all hushed in unison as Voldemort swept across the room.

“The girl's passed, Snape,” He said looking lazily at me and then Severus. “Feel free to bring her to the next meeting.”

“Yes, My Lord,” he said strongly not giving me a second glance. The Dark Lord then touched the ring on his finger before Disapparating from the room. Narcissa flew to my side on the floor, her billowing blue gown creating a protective fabric plume around us. Severus and Regulus were the next to move forward, Lucius stood back still near the door.

“What happened?” Regulus demanded, noticably shaken. I looked from one to the other of the three of them. I couldn't speak, my mind was racing. “Annie?” I closed my eyes at the words and shook my head.

I was so ashamed.

“We're leaving,” I heard Severus grunt plainly as Narcissa gingerly helped me to my feet.

“So pale...” Narcissa whispered closed to my ear, but I couldn't do anything. My heels touched the floor and moved but I was unaware that I was moving them.

Why would I enjoy those things. I love muggles. They raised me. I knew I would have to pretend but I felt so much hatred for them. I wanted to kill them. All of them. Was it a spell? It had to be, but how could he?

Outside the cool stormy air bit and nipped at me until I started to come to it. In the sky the moon was blurred behind the smokey haze of storm clouds. I was vaguely aware that Severus had wrapped his jacket around me and was trying to shuffle me into a carriage.

“We'll talk about this at our dormitory, Annie,” Narcissa said gently from her carriage before she got it, but I could only stare vacantly.

Was this me? Do I actually want to hurt muggles? God, I don't even know who I am anymore!

Severus put me inside the carriage. I wouldn't look at him. I couldn't, but Severus wouldn't put up with me. He grabbed my shoulders and forced me to look at him.

“What did he say?” he asked hand shaking with nerve. I didn't answer him. How could I tell him what happened? I began to feel the pricking the back of my head.

“Don't, Sev,” I whispered as pleadingly as I could. But he wouldn't stop, his eyes probing and apologetic. And then I could tell he was about to see into my mind. “Stop!” I shouted and suddenly the roles were reversed.

I was in his mind.

Severus and Regulus were watching Narcissa and I making our way up the stairs with Bellatrix. Severus was clenching his teeth and Regulus was trying the best he could to calm him down.

“You said He wouldn't be here, Black,” he grunted. Regulus closed his eyes for a second to calm down.

“I didn't know. I thought—I didn't think he would.” Regulus was as nervous as Severus was. He was rubbing his left forearm.

“And thanks to that ignorance you might have very well killed her,” Severus hissed begging to walk up the stairs as well. Lucius quickly grabbed his arm.

“Give it ten minutes, its only a quarter-to-nine,” Lucius said sternly.

“Nothing can happen to her in just fifteen minutes,” Regulus reassured him but Severus shoved him away.

“I would take seconds to use Occlumency on her and she's dead,” he said stiffly walking further back onto the porch. “She's too proud and brave for her own good. She won't agree with anything he says, but for Merlin's sake I hope she pretends to. She'd never believe it.” he said strongly, facing away from the rest of the boys.

“She looks beautiful tonight, doesn't she?” Regulus said quietly walking back to his friend. Severus held no expression but gave a ghost of a nod.

“Beautiful.”


We snapped back to reality and I fell against the carriage door. Severus's face turned a shade of red I had never seen before: a mix between what I'm not sure was embarrassment and rage. If he hadn't been so mortified he wouldn't have been screaming at me for the invasion of privacy.

“Sev,” I whispered slowly reverting to my normal self. He didn't respond, he just sat there glaring at me. “Did you mean it?” I whispered sitting up. He quickly clenched his teeth.

“I would have thought you'd been less vain, Annabelle. It doesn't suite you to think so highly of your own appearance,” he growled. I gave a small laughed and smile.

“No, do you think I'm brave?” I asked. Severus furrowed his brow lightly before nodding, glare disappearing. My heart swelled with delight, even pride as I fought back tears. After a deep breath I sat up straight and scooted nearer to Severus.

“What?” he demanded choking. I made a small smile and put my hand over his.

“Thank you, Sev.” He seemed confused, but for the first time in my life I understood what I wanted. I put my hands on his shoulders and brushed my nose against his. “Thank you,” I whispered again and his eyes softened. I closed my eyes and felt his lips press against mine.

It wasn't wildly passionate or moderately steamy, but it was our first kiss: sweet and simple, lingering and powerful.

When we parted we stayed close to revel in the warmth of our kiss, lips still occasionally brushing up against one another's.

“I should have been the one to do that,” Severus said almost disgruntled, but he was smiling and there was a tone of amusement in his voice. I couldn't help but laugh. I finally realized what I should have known the whole time:

I knew who I was when I was with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in so long, but college planning has eaten my life. Expect more on my other story soon and then another one for Annabelle's, I'm back and addicted once more! Comment, message, and subscribe please!