Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Annie Anorexic

Annabelle's Point of View

It's been three months since I've arrived here at Hogwarts, now it's the middle of November. Classes are going well, even though I'm a first year I've been moved up to second year because Headmaster Dumbledore helped me over the summer. Well, it's not all thanks to him; Severus has been helping me out sometimes too. The students... Well the students aren't all that nice, but it's nothing I can't get through. I really like it here, I can't imagine what its going to be like when summer comes.

I finished up my entry and closed my gray diary. Narcissa, who I had put in the same dormitory with, rubbed her eyes as she sat up in bed. I glanced over and hid my diary in my pillow sheet.

"Morning," she yawned as she stood up and walked around the room, letting the cool air hit her skin. I blushed and turned my eyes away quickly. It was one of the few things that was an inconvenience having Narcissa as a roommate; she never wore anything but her bra and underwear when she slept. I waited until I heard the ruffle of clothes and knew it was alright to look around. "How do you live with being up so early?" she mumbled as she finished buttoning up her blouse. I picked up a pile of clothes and put it on my lap as I waited for her to leave. "You know you could just change in front of me," she sighed and I turned red lowering my head.

There is no way I'd ever change in front of you. I thought. Now it wasn't in a mean way, it was just that, well, I didn't let anyone see much of my skin, no matter what. Narcissa sighed before rolling her long sleeves up to her elbows, slipping her robe on, and pushing up her stockings.

"I'll see you at the table," she said going out. I quickly I took off my pajama shirt and pants that hung on me loosely and starting putting on my clothes. I pulled up my skirt so it was tight to my hips and put on my shirt. I picked up the wooden brush on my counter and went to the mirror. I brushed my hair carefully, making sure it didn't fray out like an afro. It actually turned into just wavy hair that looked only a little frizzy, just right. I couldn't help but stare at myself for a moment, sure I was kind of tall for my age, but because of that I looked all the more thin. My legs were like tooth picks, my arms were like twigs, and don't even get my started on my stomach.

It gave the students all the more reason to tease me.

I wanted to do was crawl onto the bed and mope for the rest of the day, but got out of my pity mode and pulled my robe over my body, my Slytherin badge proudly worn on my left side. I almost forgot my books as I rushed out the door and up to the hallways. As I walked with my head down I passed by a group of Ravenclaw girls who snickered as I rushed by. I gave them a short smile and a wave, but they just giggled and one of the grabbed the others arm and sneered at me.

"Annie Anorexic!" she laughed and the others joined in as they walked away. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the nice little nickname people have come up for me. Not that it needs to be said, but I wasn't exactly head over heals for it. I cast my eyes downward and walked faster.

Don't let them get to you. When I entered the Grand Hall I sat in between Severus and Regulus. Narcissa was happily hanging onto Lucius's arm while Regulus seemed engaged in a conversation with them. I turned to Severus, who was staring at his book on his lap (he usually did that at meals).

"Morning Annabelle," Lucius said and I nodded making and 'Mm-hm' with my mouth closed. I put two pieces of bacon on my plate and got a glass of milk. "So what are you guys doing tomorrow?" he asked taking a bite of a muffin. Today was Friday, which meant everyone was making plans to hang out for the weekend. Regulus shrugged.

"I'm going to the library with Lauren," he said taking a drink of pumpkin juice. Narcissa began giggling madly and Lucius high-fived Regulus. I tilted my head and turned to Severus and tugged his sleeve. He looked up from his book and sighed.

"Don't ask," he groaned and gave the others a look. Lucius rolled his eyes.

"Fine, that's nice that you going to the library," he made a point to stress the last word, "with Lauren. What are you two doing this weekend?" The question was directed towards Severus and me.

"Nothing," he muttered and I looked down and played with my robes sleeve smiling. He wouldn't say it out loud but Fridays both of us went to Black Lake. We weren't best mates, in fact we didn't really talk much, but I still looked up to him so much that he didn't mind letting me tag along behind him. I took a bite of my bacon and smiled chewing it slowly. The same girls from earlier walked by me.

"Watch out Annie, you might just get fat eating like that," the girls laughed and my face flushed with color at their sarcasm. Narcissa nearly shattered her glass of water she was clasping it so hard, her knuckles were white.

"Oh shut up and go get your teeth fixed Kleif," she hissed cocking her head to the side. The brunette, Kleif, frowned in confusion letting a line form between her brows.

"Get your eyes checked, Black, my teeth are perfectly fine. Dazzling in fact," she said flashing a smile. It was true; she really did have nice teeth (probably due to the fact that her family was rich as could be).

"Not anymore you don't," Lucius smirked and lifted his wand. "Densaugeo." He flicked his want and instantly Kleif's laughter became a shriek as her teeth began growing at an alarming rate. The Slytherin table erupted in laughter as the two girls ran off crying. Narcissa grinned.

"Nice one," she giggled and leaned over kissing Lucius. Quickly I forced my head down while I blushed, it was embarrassing sitting right there.

"Class starts soon," Severus said suddenly, clearly as disturbed by the scene as I was, and stood up. When he got about two steps away he mumbled without turning to me, "Come on Annabelle." I shut my book and scooted out of my seat. As I passed the formerly snogging couple, I locked eyes with Narcissa and mouthed a 'Thank you' before walking off to be on the heals of Severus.

We both walked in silence to the potions class, it was our first class of the day. Even though it was really my first year, Professor Dumbledore had aloud me to become a second year since I had studied extra over the summer and got a tutor (Severus). Most of our classes we had together, so I only had to deal with bullies alone a few times during the school day. Unfortunately for Severus, boys didn't mind bullying each other in front of a girl.

"Hey Snivellus," James Potter called from behind us. I saw Severus flinch as I glanced over at him from the corner of my eyes. His eyes were squinted and his mouth firm, his pace seemed to quicken too.

"Snivellus!" This time it was Sirius Black, Regulus's brother. The two caught up and grabbed Severus forearm. "Don't you know it's impolite to ignore people," he sneered and Severus jerked his arm back. I backed up a little as Severus turned and glared at the pair.

"Saw you and your mommy's goodbye kiss," James said laughing and leaned over to Sirius, gripping onto his robes while Sirius air kissed his forehead. After that they broke out in a fit of laughter. Severus finally whipped out his wand and pointed it at James. James and Sirius's laughter stopped abruptly as they copied him, standing him off. I felt my body as cold as I stared at them.

Not again. I thought desperately as I walked close to Severus pulling on his elbow sleeve. He only shifted his eyes over to me as I tugged at it again motioning my head towards class. I didn't want another fight breaking out. He grimaced as Sirius nudged James.

"Look, Annie over here is trying to get her boyfriend out of a fight," he sneered.

Merciful Merlin, get me out of here! I had turned a pink color as Severus snarled. I pulled on his sleeve again begging with my eyes and gave him a smile. He seemed to be thinking for a while but huffed and put his wand down grabbing my sleeve, pulling me down the hall.

We sat down in our seats near the front once we entered the dungeon. My face was still red with embarrassment so I kept my eyes on my poetry book. Severus was equally mortified, reading his potions book. Slytherin and Gryffindor students filed into the classroom. Some of them being: Regulus, Evan Rosier, Kyle Richards, James, Sirius, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, and Lily Evans. Professor Slughorn strolled in, jovial as ever, and flashed a smile.

"Hello class. Today I want you to make a simple hiccuping solution. Just raise your hand when your potion is finished. Work with your partners I assigned at the beginning of the year," he said writing the ingredients down on the board in a sloppy cursive handwriting. Severus and I glanced at each other and he shrugged getting the cauldron ready. I picked up the scurvy-grass and did as it said in Severus’s potion book.

Alright, first I take each petal off one-by-one and throw it into the cauldron before adding the stems as well. I pinched off each white petal and then added the stems. Severus picked up the three-fifths lovage that he had ground up and poured it into the cauldron in the form of a circle. Instantly the color of the solution turned from green to purple.

Alright, now all I need to do is add two-ninths jellyfish tentacles with the stingers intact. I went to place the creature in the potion, but before I could Severus snatched my wrist.

"What do you think you’re doing?" he asked quietly and I turned pale shrinking back. I opened my mouth before snapping it shut. I shook my head. Severus sighed and let go of my wrist to stir the incomplete potion. "Only add that once I've stirred it three times," he said calming down and I nodded. One, two, three times the stick went around in the cauldron before the jellyfish flopped their way into the potion. Luckily the cauldron began to bubble and turned orange. Severus gave a satisfied, slightly awkward smile raising his hand. Our portly Potions Master got up from his chair with some difficulty and shuffled over to us, inspecting our brewed potion in the cauldron. Like lightning his face broke out in a grin as he gave a chuckle.

"Well done Mister Snape, Miss Emaciare! Well done!" he cheered slapping us on the back. We both fell forward slightly with the hit and his deep laughter subsided. "That’s an O for today. Alright now, clean up while I score everyone else's." he said bouncing off somewhere else. I picked up the bowls that had contained the ingredients and went over to the sink on the wall. I rolled my sleeves up tightly so I wouldn't get them wet in the water.

"Annabelle," Severus started and paused so I could turn to him. He was putting away the extra scurvy-grass. "Why were they calling you Annie?" I turned to him a little too quickly; accidentally let the bowl slip from my hand, shattering instantly. Eyes flew to me and I blushed kneeling down.

"I'm sorry," I whispered softly went to grab a piece of the broken ceramic, but Severus took out his wand and waved it.

"Reparo," he muttered and the bowl pieced itself together. I picked it up all twitchy and set it away into the cupboard before getting back to my chair putting things in my small bag. The bell rung as Professor Slughorn tried to shout the homework assignment before students ran out. Severus gave me an odd look but I quickly smiled waving as I rushed out the door.

Severus’s Point of View

Annabelle had practically bolted out of class. I picked up my things and walked out into the hall where I heard some chanting. Curiosity got the better of me and I peered across the corner, a crowd had formed in a circle and was cheering. I snuck up and went through the crowd until I got to the front. Most people got out of my way as I finally saw what was going on.

"Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic!" The mob chanted and Annabelle was standing in the middle holding her bag to her chest. Her face was pale and her eyes were covered by her fluffy bangs.

"What's the matter Annie, too light headed from not eating to make a comeback?" a girl stepped forward pushing her shoulder. The girl, Beth, was Charlotte Kleif's friend. Annabelle stumbled slightly and lifted her head to smile at Beth. "You know everyone thinks you’re a bloody freak right? Being a second year when you should be a first, hanging out with that slime ball Slytherin and his mates, practically looking like a walking skeleton. Freak," she spat and Annabelle winced.

Why isn't she doing anything? I thought enraged, but I couldn't move. She looked so… pathetic almost. She was smiling for gosh sakes, with all these people ganging up on her. She can't seriously care less about what's going on, can she? A boy came and stood next to Beth.

"Say something, Annie," he sneered and laughed. "Levicorpus!" I froze when Annabelle went flying upside-down into the air and her bag went onto the floor. Thankfully her hands gripped the side of her skirt before it went up. Everyone started laughing and her robes went over her head, letting her shirt slip slightly to reveal part of her stomach. Again people started cheering so I could not hear Annabelle.

"Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic! Annie Anorexic!" I felt an anger rise up in the middle of my chest as I glared at the boy and finally lifted my wand and pointed it at the boy hexing Annabelle.

"Stupefy," I hissed as the boy looked up and was thrown back into the crowd, knocking a good portion of people over. Once the boy was hit with my spell, Annabelle dropped to the floor, with a thud. The group quickly disbanded at the sudden outburst, thinking a professor had done it, and bolted. Annabelle was left sprawled on the stone floor and slowly sat up so she was kneeling. I went over and helped pick up her things that had fallen from her bag: a small container of a yellow substance, a few torn up notebooks, and two books. She tried not to but she gave out a small whimper as she stood and reached out for the bag. "Are you alright?" She nodded but fell over forward.

A Few Hours Later
Annabelle's Point of View


"Can't we see her yet?"

"No Miss Black, she's still asleep. You'll have to wait until she's awake so I can give her some medicine."

"The why did Snape get to?"

My eyes blinked until they opened completely, but then I shut them because of a needle like pain in my head.

"Ow," I mumbled and put a hand to my head.

"Annabelle!" Narcissa screeched coming over and giving me a hug. When she pulled back she scowled. "Don't you do that again, got it?!" she shouted and I flinched back looking around. I was in the Hospital Wing, in one of the beds, with Madame Pomfrey, Regulus, Lucius, Narcissa, and Severus around me. I squeaked and pulled the covers over my head.

"Do you remember how you got here?" I heard Miss Pomfrey ask. I lied and shook my head. "Mister Snape said you passed out in the hall while going to class, he helped you here." I blinked under the stuffy blankets and slowly let the blanket fall to my nose. Severus was staring out at the corner bored and I smiled a little.

He kept it a secret for me? I thought replaying the little scrap I had been in.

"I recommend you stay in bed for now, all the classes are over. You three have to leave now," she said ushering the three out.

"See you in the dormitory, Lucius is going to walk me to the common room," Narcissa said waving and Lucius nodded leaving. I turned my attention to Severus who gave me a long stare before turning to the door and leaving. It felt like a pang hit my chest as he walked out without saying anything, but I sucked it up.

"Now Miss Emaciare," Miss Pomfrey stated, "I would like to talk to you about something serious." I nodded and gripped the blanket on my lap. She scooted over and sat next to me.

Severus’s Point of View

I leaned against the wall outside the Hospital Wing. I was still deciding if I should tell someone about what's happening to Annabelle or not. You don't bully a girl, especially one who has been nothing but nice to you. I shook my head a little.

She can take care of herself. I reasoned and sighed. Life was too complicated. The door creaked open and Annabelle came out brushing off her skirt. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw me.

"I didn't want to walk with those two up to the common room. Who knows what they would be doing," I mumbled and she stared at me, but it wasn't in a rude way, just, I don't know, pensive. "We should go before a teacher catches us out so late," I finally said and she smiled nodding, walking in step with me. We walked quietly to the stairs leading down through the stone wall in the dungeon.

"Thank you." I looked to my right and Annabelle was staring at the floor. "F... For not telling, thank you," she whispered, a red color blooming on her cheeks. I felt my chest tighten and I shrugged.

"So that why they call you Annie?" I asked calmly and she nodded a little. "Why do you put up with it?" I asked pushing my hands deeper and deeper into my robe pockets. Annabelle looked in thought for a while.

"I don't know," she whispered, her eyes were glistening, and she bit her lip. She was so sad, but then she noticed what she was doing and turned to me smiling. "B-But thanks for hexing that boy," she said with a happy ring and I felt myself smile ever so slightly. She was talking, and a lot compared to usual.

She must be really grateful. Annabelle was smiling and staring forward, but I could see her face was still pink.

"Hm, no problem," I mumbled smirking and opened the door to the common room. Lucius and Narcissa were sharing a sloppy, and disturbing, kiss (if you could call it that). My previous smile contorted as I held back a gag. Annabelle behind me had turned a bright red and lowered her head immediately. I coughed twice and they separated.

"Oh, uh hey there guys," Narcissa laughed straightening her blouse and Lucius grumbled.

"Yeah, real nice to see you," he said and slid his hands through his hair before turning to Narcissa. "Night."

"Night," she grinned and kissed his cheek. Then she ran over behind me and pulled Annabelle by the wrist away. "Come on we have to talk, now." Annabelle didn't even get the chance to refuse, only to look over her shoulder at me once before leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: Really quickly, I'd like to remind everyone that the Slytherin dormitories and common room are reached through a bare stone wall in the dungeons. The Slytherin common room is a long, low, dungeon-style room, located under the Hogwarts Lake, furnished with green lamps, and carved armchairs.