Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Obsessive

Annabelle's Point of View

The next morning Narcissa was actually up before me, which I found strikingly odd. Maybe it was her and Lucius's anniversary and she was busy making something. What was odd was that she was just kind of, fidgeting around. She was already dressed and had all her books out.

"Um, Morning," I said softly while beginning to close the curtains around my bed.

"Oh! Morning Annabelle," Narcissa said finally sounder her normal self. "How are you feeling?" she asked me as I got undressed and got into my uniform. Starting tomorrow we would start waking up earlier so we could shower in the mornings and not at night.

Sleep and assignments had become a priority over time preference.

"Good," I said sweetly. My heart beat a little faster when I considered as to why she asked, but I played it off and accepted that she inquired it in innocence. "Why?" But then again there was nothing wrong with being extra cautious. I almost thought she knew but she then

"Well lately you just seem a little sick, you look…" The pause was filled to the rim with thought. "I'm just so worried." She admitted pulling the curtains open. I squeaked, seeing as how I was putting on my shirt and trying to pull up my stockings at the same time.

"Narcissa!"

"Sorry!" She exclaimed towards me let the green drapery fall back in place. I dressed quickly and snapped the curtains open. I knew now I wouldn't look her in the eye from the most the day. I threw on my robes and stood in front of the mirror pulling out my wand. Narcissa was staring at me in the glass's reflection, trying to interpret the expression on my flushed face. I combed my hair and pushed my feet into my shoes.

"Annabelle…" I took a deep breath and turned around with a smile gracing my lips.

"I had a night terror," I convinced her walking up to her and pulled on her sleeve to tell her to get moving. "Thank you for the concern," I said walking out with her to the common room linked to the dungeon.

"Ok," she said, and I knew she was upset with me but was being nice. She looked a little frustrated as her face turned pink and then she sighed turning a sharp corner. "I have to get to classes; goodbye." I smiled and waved at her and she mimicked me walking away up the stairwell. I leaned against the wall in the dungeon that was outside the potions room. I would wait until Severus got here; usually we arrived at the same time. It was quiet for awhile; apparently we had gotten up a little too early because no one came for a bit. But soon enough someone did.

Lily Evans, wavy red hair and all, walked over but stopped not too far from me.

"Oh hi," she said awkwardly looking at me, scrutinizing me. I shifted my weight back so I had my back pressed very firmly against the wall, my right ear consumed by the shilling stone surface. Slightly stunned by my gesture, she backed away politely. She was one of the few people I really just couldn't be around.

"Your name's Annie… Uh, Annabelle, right?" Her voice went up an octave at the guilt. She hung out with those Marauders, what else would she instinctively call me?

"I was wondering, maybe, if your… situation was any better?" I smiled pleasantly at her, tilting my head in confusion. But underneath that I felt uneasy. A sad sort of smile marked her features.

"You know, outside Hogwarts?" she asked me taking a step forward towards me and put a hand on my shoulder. Resting my hands at the wall at my hips, they slid down revealing a small trail of nervous perspiration.

Stop. Shut up. Stop. Shut up. Stop. Shut up. Stop. I repeated in my head to keep down my anxiety. I attempted to make my way to the potions door, but she pulled on my arm apprehensively. Acting like the touch burned my skin, my elbow attempted to free itself from her grip but she gently pulled it back to her.

"Its ok, I just want to—" The squeak of shoes came to a halt two feet away. I looked up and Severus stood staring at us awkwardly. Lily looked down at my elbow and blushed letting go. "I want to help," she mumbled and opened the door to class. Before she closed the door behind her she looked back over her shoulder at Severus.

His embarrassed staring became more noticeable and he tried making a guilty wave. I felt a hole in my chest when I saw the adoring look hidden in his black eyes. Lily disregarded it and slammed the door. He looked defeated but looked back at me.

"What did Lily want?" he asked, desperately I might add, and I shook my head softly smiling.

"Sorry." My discrete answer told him what he wanted and he led me into class.

Lily's Point of View

I watched Annabelle and Snape walk into class while I sat with the Marauders.

"Oi Padfoot, look it’s the slimeball couple of the year," James laughed ramming him in the ribs. Sirius stopped leaning back on the two legs on his chair and leaned forward over the desk. We had been seated in the middle isle, where the two Slytherin in question sat up front. An unappealing smirk crossed him as he didn't break his stare.

"Why Prongs I think you're right," he said and looked back at him. "What do you think of some entertainment? I think the right foul gits should give us a dance," he smirked lifting his wand under his desk. A memory of a few minutes ago popped into my head and I reached over and held onto the end of the wand.

"Not today Sirius," I warned him and he frowned keeping his wand in place ready to curse.

"Why not?" he whined and James behind him absently roughed his hair up.

"You have Quidditch today, don't get detention or you won't be able to play," I informed him. He gave a disgruntled look but retracted his wand. I rolled my eyes at his nerve. He could be just as arrogant as James most the time, if not more.

"Fine, but soon then. Which reminds me, Moony, how's your furry little problem?" he asked to Remus. He turned back in his seat in front of us and cast his eyes downward.

"Yeah, this Friday," his voice answered. His eyes were so ashamed I reached over and pat him on the back. That got him to smile a bit more. I started getting out my things for class when a note fold up like a bird flew its way onto my desk and perched itself on my cauldron. I looked around and didn't spot anyone suspicious looking enough to have sent me it. I reached out my hand and it hopped into my flat palms. The paper head swiveled towards me and ruffled its 'wings' before it opened:

Don't tell anyone.

I scrunched my nose up and took a sharp breath through my nose. Now I knew who it was from. Casting my eyes over at Annabelle and Snape I tried to decide what to do.

Should I tell him? I asked myself. But as I watched Annabelle listening to Snape mutter (about something that annoyed him guessing by the look he had) and then she giggled quietly while he turned red… I felt conflicted.

"Lily?" James asked me noticing me not partaking in conversation or correcting their horrid grammar.

"It's nothing," I said pretending to be annoyed. "And you did finish the reading over break right?" I asked with a sigh, feeling he didn't. He laughed explaining a detailed story of how Sirius had sent him owls about his dreadful mum and how he went to save him. What a bunch of rubbish. I glanced over at Annabelle once more and saw Snape critiquing her on her potions.

He has a right to know.

Annabelle's Point of View
Defense Against the Dark Arts


I had evaded Lily for most the day, difficult as it was, and made sure she wouldn't talk to the others. She was so bent on telling someone about it.

She was just a previous acquaintance, She didn't have the right to tell anyone something so personal.

For most the year she had just tried to get me to talk to her about it and I had carefully evaded her, but now I felt like things were catching up with me.

"So how do you feel about a little dueling today since classes are short, hmm?" Professor Lebons asked promptly tripping as he made his way to the dueling stage. I learned he was the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor because there was always a new one each year. Now I was just waiting for his to trip, like he most often did, and one day skewer himself on one of those senselessly pointy sculptures he decorated the classroom with.

Severus stood at attention at the edge of the platform. He always seemed more enthusiastic when it came to this class, which worried me a little but I let it go as an interest in dueling instead of the Dark Arts.

Everyone gathered around the raised platform as the professor fumbled his way onto it.

"Alright, why don't we make it a competition?!" he bellowed and everyone started whispering about.

"Will it be boy against girls?"

"No way, we'd smoke the girls."

"Excuse me?!"

"I got one, cowards against the brave."

"But James, I don't think Snivelly can hold us all off by himself.

"Don't worry; he can have your brother and Annie help him."

"Hey, hey, settle down. It's Slytherin vs. Gryffindor," Professor said just as Severus had balled his fist up. His dark hair flopped onto his shoulders when he lowered his head in embarrassment. I lifted my head over to the Marauders and bit back a glare. They always made me so angry!

But I took a deep breath and smiled at Severus putting a hand on his shoulder. I didn't feel bad when he shrugged it off; in fact I smiled more because I saw his face soften.

"Sorry I'm late Acuzio," said a chipper voice as the doors banged. Everyone's head swiveled over to Dumbledore who had strolled into the classroom and shook hands with Professor Lebons. My smile broadened and my face turned a light pink. I looked up to Dumbledore like a father or grandfather.

"Great you've arrived; I just told them they would be dueling for the rest of class. I'll pick the first pair from the houses…" he said pointing his finger around us and finally smiled. "Mister Black, why don't you go?" the professor said to the Slytherin side and Regulus groaned. I saw Black across the platform lift his head and grin nudge Potter.

"Professor, would you mind if I went against him?" Potter asked giving a cheeky smile that made every professor believe he wasn't a troublemaker. Professor Labons smiled and clapped his hands.

"Yes! Go right ahead, that's the spirit," he rejoiced and he ruffled his hair going up the steps. Regulus walked by us and I smiled at him mouthing a good luck. He grinned putting a hand on both mine and Severus’s shoulders.

"Wish me luck," he laughed and hopped onto the opposite side of the runway.

"Remember, only to disarm your opponent. Be creative," Professor Lebons shouted. Potter and Regulus whipped out their wands then put them at their sides before bowing. Then they walked away from each other about 5 steps. "1… 2… 3!"

"Expelliarmus!" They both shouted at the same time and I covered my eyes when a rush of wind filled the classroom. I felt Severus hit his shoe against mine and I let my hands slip from my face. Regulus was flat on his bum at the very edge of the runway, rubbing his head in pain. My smile almost wavered when Potter and his friends started laughing.

"Well done Mister Potter, fair try Mister Black," he said and Dumbledore smiled clapping quietly. "Let's see, ah, the other Mister Black, Sirius why don't you come up here?"

"Alright," Black grinned as we helped Regulus on his way over next to us. "Come on up Sn..Severus." Severus tried not grin, but a nasty little smirk got the better of him as he walked his way up the steps of the platform. Oh no, he wouldn't get too carried away would he? I looked over at Dumbledore discretely; he had to have known this was a bad idea. Dumbledore looked a little perplexed by the pairing but didn't say anything.

Severus… I didn't want him getting hurt. It wasn't that I doubted his abilities as a duelist, he was by far one of the best ones I knew, but I couldn't help but be anxious. Severus and Black stood opposite each other and pulled out their wands. They didn't even bow before walking away from each other and ended up facing off each other.

"Wands ready? 1… 2… 3!" I held onto my skirt tightly and Regulus put a hand on my head to help me calm down.

"Stupefy!" Black spouted and his wand cast a red light out at Severus.

"Protego!" Severus was really quick and flicked his wand at the spell, making it go off to the ceiling. Dust fell from above us and made a layer of white powder cover our clothes. A deep growl emitted from Black as he dusted himself off and raised his wand again. Severus brandished his wand and Black's tongue jutted itself to the roof of his mouth. Everyone was laughing except a few select of Gryffindor as Black tried shouting a curse, but nothing happened.

"What a very creative use of spells, Severus! I didn't know one of my students could use nonverbal spells already," Professor Lebons cheered clapping him on the back when he walked down the steps. Severus stood next to me again and was smirking proudly. Not to far from me I saw Evan Rosier grinning creepily. "Funny, I don't recognize that spell though," our professor commented and Severus became rigid.

"Why don't the rest of your students, if they can, try and use nonverbal spells as well? If they can of course," Dumbledore butted in gently. Professor Lebons started complimenting him on how right he was and I turned my body to Severus. He smirked my way, still on the high from earlier and I smiled. I pushed myself a little closer and cupped my mouth to his ear.

"What was that spell you used?" He had a small bit of pink on his cheeks that disappeared once he took a breath.

"It’s Langlock, I um, made it," he said taking a small swallow. My mouth hung open slightly. He invented it!? I giggled and smiled grabbing his hand.

"Ah Acuzio, would you mind dearly if I picked your next duelist?"

"Not at all. Go right ahead-!" Professor said before falling face first into the floor. Dumbledore wasn't even fazed as he looked around.

"Ah, Annabelle," he spoke and I turned pink freezing up in my spot. "Would you mind?" he asked a little more persistent, a small twinkle in his eyes that was meant to be seen. I blushed and fidgeted before clumsily standing up and making my way up the platform. When I passed him Dumbledore grinned mischievously but oh so warmly, like he was giving me a big pat on the back.

I stood their very awkwardly and all of a sudden it felt like I had become four times more unattractive. My bangs were getting in my eyes every few second and my snowy skin was turning red.

When did my robes suddenly become twenty times bigger than usual?

"Now who to duel Miss Emaciare…" Professor Lebons thought helping himself stand up. Murmurs came across the room and most the Gryffindor raised their hands. I wasn't well liked, or well known. It didn't bother me much though; I could care less as long as my friends liked me and didn't hurt me.

"I'll go, Professor" said a bright voice and someone stepped forward before going on the stage. I smiled and gripped my robes tightly. Lily wouldn't stop would she?

I swear she's obsessed!
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: The next one will have a lot more romance.