Sequel: I'd Do Anything
Status: Say to me, "Why can't we look the other way?"

Hooked on a Feeling

Wedding Blues

Annalise wanted to go back home.

She loved Louisa to death. She was so happy to see her start the next stage of her life. It was half of the wedding party that she hated.

Louisa rolled her eyes and downed half a glass of champagne next to Annalise. Her new mother-in-law insisted that the bridal party did a choreographed dance during the reception. If Louisa had it her way, the wedding would be in June, the guests would lounge in hammocks, and the ceremony would only be ten minutes to allow for more time drinking. But not everything works out perfectly.

“This is so stupid.” Louisa muttered.

“At least you actually like your dancing partner.” Annalise muttered, shooting a quick glare down the line at the best man.

Louisa sighed. “Annalise, it’s my wedding. Let it go. For one night.”

“I have.”

“No, you haven’t.”

Annalise and the best man Ryan used to be friends. Best friends. But Annalise and Ryan got in a fight years ago, which made her realize some things about his character. He was childish, conceited, and had absolutely no respect for anyone. Probably not even himself. It wasn’t that Annalise was mad, she just didn’t think he was worth her time. And she didn’t quite trust him not to hurt her.

But he was friends with the groom, and that was what mattered.

“Okay, everyone, partners!” the dance instructer said, clapping her hands.

Louisa and Annalise put down their glasses and went to join their partners. Ryan looked at a spot on the wall just above Annalise’s head.

“Just like we practiced. One, two, three, four, one, two, three, four…turn and one, two, three, four…”

Annalise found herself thinking about Lars. Last night during dinner with Louisa and the other bridesmaids she had received a text from Olivia. It said Lars had visited, and he broke up with Tinkerbell. Annalise assumed Olivia meant Tess. Annalise was still hurt it had taken so long.

She didn’t want Lars to be another Ryan, though. Someone she couldn’t bring herself to speak to. Speaking of Ryan, he really was a terrible dancer.

Annalise felt it coming before it ever happened. His movements felt stiff and robotic. She dipped back on the instructor’s cue, and his arms went lax under her weight. It just wasn’t there. Gravity seemed to work twice as fast as she fell backwards and slammed onto the hardwood floor, pain shooting up her spine and to her skull. The edges of her vision went black.

“What the hell are you doing?” Louisa screeched, running to her maid of honor’s side. “Annalise? Annalise? Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Annalise lied, sitting up. “Fine.”

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” Louisa demanded of Ryan. “Don’t you dare say it was an accident, I saw the whole thing. You didn’t even try to catch her.”

Ryan at least had the good graces to look ashamed.

Someone handed Annalise an ice pack and Louisa sat her down in the chair she had been sitting in previously. Well, at least Ryan had finally proved to everyone that Annalise was right about him. She wasn’t holding a grudge.

“We’ll do something.” Louisa promised, looking into her best friend’s face. “You just sit for a while. I can use this to my advantage to cancel the whole thing.”

“The wedding or the dance?” Annalise joked weakly.

“Don’t tempt me.”

~*~

“So, I guess I’m supposed to make a toast.” Annalise said, trying for the awkward humor that endeared her to many. “You know you hear about the best man’s toast, but not the maid of honor’s. So, I’ll try to make this as short and unmemorable as possible.”

A few people chuckled, which was good. It meant she had attention.

“You know, the joke is always that Louisa is my overgrown five year old, the way I’m always taking care of her. But there’s pleanty of times that she’s taken care of me. And she is the best, most encouraging, loving and wonderful person I have ever met. Honestly, John, you’re the luckiest man in this room, for all time, because she chose you. So, congratulations. May you only have the best years ahead. To the bride and groom!”

Everyone drank and Louisa stood to hug her best friend tightly with wet eyes. “You’re the best friend I’ve ever had.” She whispered.

“Why? Because I didn’t tell the room about what a self-centered ass you are?”

“Yes.”

“I love you too.”

~*~

Dinner was over and the party was in full swing. Annalise leaned on the bar and waited for her drink. Her former boss was completely right. She was the best looking bridesmaid in that dress. Old friends from college who she didn’t speak to anymore would look at her, and quickly look away.

That was okay. She had the friends she really wanted.

“I see she doesn’t have anyone with her. Again.” a voice near Annalise said.

“Well, she can’t hold onto anyone anyway.” Another replied. “Remember the last one? She dumped him in the middle of my wedding.”

“What’s she doing now, anyway?”

“I hear she’s up in Montreal. Working at a university, I think.”

“Or just being a crack whore.”

“Kate!”

“Isn’t that what people go to Montreal for?”

A different Annalise might have turned around and said something. Maybe lie to them about the hockey player she was seeing. But this Annalise just collected her drink, and pushed her way out the side door to a small balcony. She set her drink on the rail and contemplated.

She could sit around and be mad at Lars. She could probably do that for the rest of her life. But that would make her conceited and childish. She knew what she was getting into when she found out Lars had a girlfriend. She kept him around anyway, either out of self hatred or because she just wanted him that badly. Probably a bit of both.

But that was out of the way now. She was hurt because of her own making. She broke the rules first. She let it go too far. Lars wasn’t completely innocent in all of this. But he wasn’t completely to blame, either.

Before she completely realized what she was doing, she had her phone out and was scrolling through her contacts. It was late. She might have to leave a message.

But after a few rings the phone was picked up. “Hello? Annalise?”

Annalise looked at her hand on the rail and smiled. “Hey, Lars.”

“Are you okay?”

Annalise opened and shut her mouth. He probably thought she wouldn’t call unless something was wrong. She just knew she was done with lies.

“I’m…I don’t know.” She rubbed the back of her head, where there was still a bump. “I’m at this wedding and half the people here don't like me. Everyone has noticed that yet again I don’t have a date. I got dropped on the floor yesterday, hit my head.”

“Oh. Alright. Calling me with a concussion.”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t have a concussion.”

“Hmm, pretty girls only call me when they’ve been hit on the head.”

“You’re such a drama queen.” Annalise laughed.

“Been hit on the head, and need a date.”

“Oh, stop it.”

They were both quiet for a moment.

“I’m glad you called.” Lars said. “I’ve missed you.”

“Yeah.” She looked at the stars. “I miss you too.”

“When will you come home?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Can I pick you up?”

Annalise smiled into the phone. “Okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all, folks.