Sequel: I'd Do Anything
Status: Say to me, "Why can't we look the other way?"

Hooked on a Feeling

Sisterhood

The next morning, Annalise made coffee, pulled on a thick hoodie, and crawled out the living room window to the fire escape.

She sat and lit a cigarette, then took a sip of her black coffee. Annalise scowled at the taste. She hated sugar and milk, but the coffee was starting to taste nasty. Maybe she should change beans. Or just switch to tea.

She wondered if coffee was like sake, where it only tasted good if everything was alright in your heart. She certainly wasn’t completely alright now.

She couldn’t believe she was getting this messed up over a guy that she barely knew. But then again, that was how it always happened to her. That’s how the good ones did it. All the missed chances. They would blindside her, from the most unexpected places, and screw her head up for weeks when they left.

And she swore it wouldn’t happen this time. Not after what had happened in Jersey. Not when she had to take care of her nutty teenage sister.

There was a rustling noise and Annalise turned to see Olivia crawling through the window with her own mug of coffee. Annalise scooted over to make room for her.

Olivia groaned as she sat and pulled her blanket tighter around her shoulders.

“Hangover?” Annalise laughed.

“Yes. And there’s a guy in my bed. Can’t remember his name. But everyone was super jealous when I took him home.”

Annalise laughed again as Olivia sipped her coffee.

“Does the coffee taste funny?”

“No.”

That solved that mystery. It was just Annalise. She’d try changing the beans first, just in case. Olivia wasn’t really known for having a superior palate.

“Sorry for doubting you.” Annalise muttered. “And thanks for the pool cue. I didn’t get you anything.”

“It’s okay. You can just give me one of the torn wedding dresses from the store.”

“What will you do with a wedding dress?”

“I don’t know. I’ll think of something. Oh, I could be a living statue!”

Annalise rolled her eyes and Olivia reached for her sister’s cigarettes. Annalise didn’t comment. She didn’t really have the right to.

“I wish you wouldn’t smoke in that blanket.” Annalise grumbled. “Do you know what a bitch it will be to wash that when Mom visits?”

“We can fold it up and hide it. Where’s your lighter?”

“If you’re going to smoke, at least have your own lighters.”

“I do. They’re in my room.”

The two sisters sat and smoked together, the younger looking worse for the wear. Annalise finished first and stood, stretching her arms.

“Want breakfast?”

“Sure.”

“See if your new friend wants any. You know, after you figure out his name.”

Olivia groaned in shame. Annalise laughed and climbed back through the window. She went into the kitchen and opened the fridge. Omelets, pan fried toast, and …yes, there was a package of bacon.

Meanwhile, Olivia finished her cigarette and went back to her room, where she studied her guest for a moment. In the short time she had left he had managed to sprawl across the whole bed. She guessed he was cute, in an awkward sort of way. Actually, no, he kind of wasn’t.

Olivia reached over and shook his shoulder. He groaned and rolled over. She shook him again anyway.

“Sunday is for sleeping in.” he mumbled.

“Yeah, well, you can do that in your own bed, thank you.”

His eyes shot open. He was surrounded by deep blue sheets and a Doctor Who quilt. A large photograph of Niagara Falls hung on the wall above him. It was most definitely not his room.

“Hi.” He said awkwardly, sitting up, then winced. “Oh, god.”

“There’s advil on the table next to you.” She sighed, tying up her hair. She eyed his chest in the mirror. So that was why she took him home.

He reached for it. “Not to be an asshole,” he said, “but I was really drunk last night, and I don’t remember your name.”

Olivia felt a rush of relief. “It’s okay. I don’t remember yours either. I’m Olivia.”

“Brendan.”

“My sister’s making breakfast, if you want it.” She headed towards her door.

“Breakfast.” He repeated slowly.

“Yeah, you know, that human thing?”

She left and Brendan Gallaher shook his head, which still ached. She was an odd one. And she looked a lot like that girl that had kicked his ass at pool the other night.

Annalise was laying out bacon on a tray, something she had picked up in kitchens, when Olivia came in offering to help Annalise put her on omelet duty so that she could start frying the toast. But first she set a big hunk of butter on the counter.

“Uhm, Olivia? Maybe I should just go.”

Both the sisters turned around and Annalise almost dropped her spatula. “Brendan?”

He frowned. “Annalise?”

A giggle bubbled out of Annalise’s mouth, which soon turned into full, doubled over laughter.

“You two know each other?” Olivia asked.

“Not well enough to know why she finds this so hysterical.”

“You swore!” Annalise giggled, pointing at her sister. “You swore you wouldn’t sleep with a hockey player! And you did! Haha!”

When Olivia had decided to go to McGill, both Annalise and her mother teased Olivia relentlessly about bringing home a nice hockey-player. Olivia, however, wasn’t a fan or the sport and couldn’t understand why they would say such a thing. And so, just to bother them, she swore she never ever would bring one home.

“Oh, no.” Olivia groaned, covering her eyes with a hand. “Ann, shut up.”

“This is very strange.” Brendan said, backing out of the kitchen. “So, I’m going to go.”

“No.” Annalise said, striving to stop laughing. “No, no, come on. Sit. Have coffee.”

Brendan awkwardly sat while Annalise shook her head and started loading up a pan with bread. She poured Brendan a cup of coffee and set it in front of him. Next to her, Olivia started to make the omelets.

“So how’s Lars?” Brendan asked.

Annalise shrugged, but her laughter died in her throat. Lars with the girlfriend. “Fine, I guess. I don’t know. I ran into him by chance last night.”

“Who’s Lars?” Olivia asked.

“His teammate.” Annalise snorted with mirth again. “You banged a habitant.”

“Shut the fuck up.”

Brendan thought about the events of last night. A whole bunch of them were supposed to go clubbing. But Lars backed out, which was odd. He usually was the first one to want to go out. Had he purposely gone to the dive bar, knowing that Annalise would be there?

Breakfast was soon ready, and the three of them sat each with a cheese omelet, a decent amount of bacon, and a shared plate stacked high with toast.

“Alright kids, dig in.” Annalise sighed, leaning back.

“How was your night?” Olivia asked her sister.

Annalise shrugged. “You know. Saturday. Yours?”

“Saturday.”

“Is this a normal Sunday activity for you?” Brendan asked the sisters.

“No.” Annalise said. “This means she doesn’t want to sleep with you again. She’s trying to freak you out.”

Olivia scowled and threw a corner of toast at her sister. “Shut up, Ann.”

“Is this because I play hockey?” Brendan frowned.

“No, you just kind of suck in bed.”

Annalise started to giggle over her bacon again, earning herself more bread being thrown at her. Brendan realized that he had probably never had a more awkward or insulting breakfast. But oddly enough, it felt like a family.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I kinda changed the title. I can't find one that really sticks.