Status: completed; sequel 'Battling the Loss You Live For' is now running.

Smiles Echo In My Memory

The Phone Call.

Frank’s Point of View

The next day, I woke up at 11:30AM due to the phone ringing briskly and piercingly. Groaning I sat up, rubbing my eyes and reached over a waking Sazzy to pick up the annoying phone.
“Hello?” my voice came out hoarse, and I cleared my throat before answering again.
“Hello?”
“Hello, I’m calling from East Orange General Hospital. Is there a Ms. Linda Thomas present?”
My heart sped up, my eyes wide. Sazzy looked up at me, a confused but worried expression plastered across her face. My mind went into overdrive, and then I remembered that Mom was out.
“Err, no, but is it about Mr. - erm, Frank Iero?” I stuttered out, and I saw from the corner of my eye Sazzy’s face – her eyes wide, eyebrows arched, creating the illustration of shock. I felt her hand on mine.
“I’m afraid I can’t say just yet. Am I speaking to a family member?” the receptionist asked from the other end of the phone, her cool and calm voice unnerving.
“I, err- yeah. He’s my Dad,” I mumbled, worried that something had happened to him.
“Oh, well… I’m very sorry to tell you this, but you must come down to the hospital right away. It’s extremely important,” she said collectively.
“But… W-what’s wrong with him? What happened?” I panicked, my knees tucked under my chin, my heart accelerating at an enormous speed.
“You father has had another stroke.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold
You in my arms