Stripes In The Devil

Chaptah Sixteen: “So I Can Fall Asleep Tonight”

A few hours later and about $50 richer we were on our way over to Spencer’s. the guys had a practice tonight and I wanted my friends to hear. “Hey Spencer!” I said giving him a hug. “Hey girls… um no one else is here yet so you can just hang out I guess” he said leading us in. I still had my bass so I went and plugged into Brent’s amp.

When Spencer left the room I started playing ‘Spectrum’, one of our bands songs. I closed my eyes and felt the music fuse with my pulse. I heard guitar join me playing the lead part to our song and opened my eyes to see Sara playing eyes closed as well with a huge smile on her face. Kirsten sat down at Spencer’s drum set and started playing too. Apparently the band was still the songs I wrote.

We got through the intro and I flicked on Ryan’s awaiting microphone coming in with vocals. From that point I went into performance mode. I closed my eyes and really got into it. I’ve been told that when I completely let go and play and just let the words out I almost look like I’m going into convulsions.

We finished playing and I was hit with such sadness. I missed that feeling of just me, the band, the music so much. We continued to play ‘March Of Sophomore Year’ and ‘W.I.T.H.L.O.V.E.’, two of our other songs.

I let the last note of ‘Sophomore Year’ ring out and was answered by applause. I loosened my death grip on the mic and looked up at all four guys who were gazing at us in awe. “Wow” Ryan breathed “you guys are great. I thought you said you were leaving nothing behind.” I blushed violently when he said that and it killed me to see the hurt look on Sara's face… but I laughed it off like I always do. Good old Rachel who can take any joke. “You know I don’t know what I’m talking about” I reasoned.

The guys did their thing. Sara and Kirsten were impressed like I had been and saw all the promise they held. While they were playing my eyes connected with Spencer’s for a moment and a faint grin played across each of our faces. In that moment I just knew that Spencer and I were fine. We could be friends and coexist. I’m not sure what it was about that moment but I just knew.

(A/N: sorry short... did this at school during a computer class)