Everything Is Alright

Are You Crazy?

“God, that was so stupid. I can’t believe I did that…” I groaned. I was complaining to Nicole. I had been spending most of my time at her and Tony’s place. It was too lonely at home for me without Justin. “I feel like such an idiot.” I was lying down on the couch with my hands over my face. She was reading a book in an armchair. “And…are you even listening?” I demanded, removing my hands from my face to glance at her.

“Wait. So you said Justin’s name while you were…” She apparently was only half listening. “What were you doing?”

“I accidentally said Justin’s name while I was kissing Keith.”

“Oh,” she said. “Oh. Did he notice?”

“Kind of. Not really,” I answered, closing my eyes again.

“So then what’s the problem?”

“The problem is why was I thinking about Justin when I was making out with Keith?”

“Well, do you like Justin?” she asked calmly.

“No,” I said quickly. “Are you crazy?” I added, glancing at her again.

“Well, you did date him for a little while.” I snorted in a kind of half-laugh. Three days, to be exact.

“And we all know how well that turned out.”

“Just saying,” she said.

“I can’t like Justin,” I said, shaking my head.

“Well, you just miss him,” she said reasonably. “He is your best friend. And they’ve been on tour for a month.”

“I guess so.” I still wasn’t completely convinced.

“You know what I want to do?” she asked suddenly. She closed her book.

“What?” I asked, doubting it would cheer me up.

“I want to throw a New Year’s party,” she decided. “Like kind of a back-from-tour party for the guys. They get back the 28th, right? So it’ll work.” I sighed, knowing I would have to help with planning.

“I guess so.”

**********************************************************************************

I heard a car pull up and glanced out the window. I did a double take. It was them.

“Nicki! They’re here!” I called. I got up and opened the door. They were unloading Tony’s stuff. Justin looked up. He smiled. I walked outside to hug him, forgetting that that it was the end of December and the thickest layer I was wearing was a sweatshirt. He met me halfway up the sidewalk and picked me up in a hug.

“I missed you,” he said, before putting me down.

“Missed you too,” I said. He smiled and stared at me for a second. I shivered. “God, Betty. Are you crazy? It’s fucking freezing out here.”

“I know that. Now, anyway,” I said, shrugging.

“Here, take my coat.”

“No, I’m fine, my coat’s inside. Are we heading home right now?”

“Yeah, if you want.”

“Okay, I’ll get my stuff.” I headed back inside, passing Nicole on the way.

“Did you say they’re here?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I answered, putting on my coat and grabbing my bag. She did the same and ran out the door before me, straight to Tony. I went back outside and gave the rest of the guys hugs before getting into the car with them, minus Tony, who headed back inside with Nicole.

We arrived at our place twenty minutes later, after Josh dropped us off.

“Now what do we do?” Justin asked, as we flopped down onto the couch.