Everything Is Alright

Say It's True, Say You Like Me

I heard a door slam down the hall and sat up quickly. I glanced at my watch. 12:06.

This must be it; welcome to the New Year.

I shook off the sleepiness and poked my head out the door. I saw Betty storm down the end of the hall and turn the corner into the kitchen, slamming that door, too. I followed.

She was sitting on the counter, head in her hands.

“What’s up?” I asked softly. I sat next to her. She glanced at me. She looked close to tears, but was trying to hold it in.

“It’s…it’s nothing. I argued with Keith,” she said, staring at her feet. I put my arms around her in a kind of sideways hug. She leaned against me, putting her head on my shoulder.

“Do you want to go home?” I asked hopefully.

“No,” she answered. “But I don’t want to be here, either.”

“Let’s go then,” I said, getting off the counter to help her off.

“Okay,” she said, wiping her eyes. I led her out through the living room by the hand.

“We’re leaving,” I informed Josh, passing him on the way out.

“Already?” he asked. I nodded and we left. We got in the car.

“Where do you want to go?” I asked.

“Anywhere,” she said. So that’s where I went. I parked near the closest bar and got out. I shivered. God, I’m an idiot. I forgot my coat. She followed me inside.
************************************************************************************
Liz’s POV

We sat next to each other at the bar as the shot glasses piled up. I looked at the clock above the bartender’s head. Only 2:15 in the morning. Everything was going by too fast. Just over two hours ago, I was arguing with Keith over the fact that I lived with Justin. But then again, my whole life was going by too fast. I mean, think about it. One minute I was a kid. Then suddenly in high school. Then dragging by in college. Then getting a job I never wanted in the first place. Finally, I’m doing body shots in a bar with Justin Pierre because I’m too drunk to care.

Nice, huh?

“Let’s go home, Justin,” I suggested, about 45 minutes later. I was feeling very lightheaded and disoriented. He followed, stumbling over the stool a little. “Give me your keys,” I commanded. “You’re drunk,” I informed him, grabbing at his keys.

“So are you,” he retorted, grabbing mine. My reflexes were too slow to stop him. “Call a cab.” Did I have my cell phone? I stopped to look for it as he sat on a bench. I joined him on the bench while we waited for the cab. He shivered.

“Where’s your coat?” I mumbled, wondering why I hadn’t noticed before. He shrugged and put the hood of his sweatshirt up. I grabbed one of his hands. It was freezing. I squeezed it, trying to warm him up without much success. Thankfully, the cab came a few minutes later. I slid into the back with him. I stared out of the window, blurrily watching the streets go by. I squeezed my eyes shut. It was making me dizzy.

The cab suddenly stopped. I turned to Justin, who seemed to have dozed off. “Justin,” I said, poking him awake. He jumped. I handed a few bills to the driver, hoping it was enough, and pulled Justin out after me. He kind of hiccupped and put his hand to his mouth. I prayed he wouldn’t start throwing up. “Wait till we get inside,” I muttered, searching for my keys before I realized Justin took them earlier. I was having trouble thinking straight.

I held my hand to my head and closed my eyes to help myself think. Why had we gone to a bar to get drunk, again? I reminded myself it was my idea, my fault, because of my stupid boyfriend. Because of my inability to hold a decent relationship for long periods of time.

And I was feeling that empty feeling again. That feeling that everything’s just not enough for me anymore. I needed something else. I managed to get the door open and toss my coat aside before me and Justin collapsed side by side on the couch. My head throbbed. He was breathing in and out slowly, with his eyes closed. I was afraid he would have an asthma attack or something.

“Justin?” I asked tiredly. His eyes opened and he turned his head to look at me. I stared back. I blinked at the intensity of his gaze. I could see something past us being drunk.

Then I realized he was on top of me, kissing my face, one hand tugging at my shirt and the other tangled in my hair. His breathing was coming in ragged pants. And I wasn’t exactly holding back, either. Wait, what was I doing? I had a boyfriend.

Yeah, one that yelled at me for living with my best friend, I argued with myself. But I didn’t care and kissed Justin back, breathing starting to match his. He tasted like alcohol.

But was he what I needed?

“Say it’s true,” he mumbled suddenly.

“What?” I asked breathlessly, pulling away for a second.

“Say you like me.”

“Justin, I…” He looked at me, a little pleading in his eyes.

“Just for the night.” I stared back hesitantly before answering.

“I like you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
*I'm just barely remembering how much I like this story.*