Everything Is Alright

At the Triple Rock

“Nicki, have you seen my red dress?” I called from my bedroom.

“Last I remember…” she said, coming in. “The back of your closet.”

“Okay, thanks.” I found it and laid it out on my bed.

“Why? What’s so special about it?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” I said, shrugging. “Nothing, I guess.” Something subconsciously told me to wear it tonight.

We met the guys at The Triple Rock, an old hang out, a few hours later. We saw them at a corner table and sat down. I noticed Justin staring at me. My sparkly red dress, more specifically. I waved my hand in his face. “Justin…” I said. He snapped out of it.

“Hi, Betty,” he said, smiling. “Nice dress.”

“Betty?” Nicole inquired curiously. I shook my head.

“Don’t ask,” I told her. Justin smiled again. There were girls next to Josh, Jesse and Matt. Their dates, I assumed. Tony came back from wherever he was and sat across from Nicole. They stared at each other for a few seconds. “Uh…Tony, this is Nicole,” I said. He held out his hand to shake hers, knocking over a glass of water.

“Oops,” he said. Some of it spilled on her. “I'm really sorry,” he apologized, turning red.

“It’s okay,” she said, staring back at him. Me and Justin glanced at each other and smirked. “Do you want to dance?” she asked him.

“Yeah,” he said, standing up quickly and almost spilling another glass. I held in a laugh. They left the table.

“Let’s all go dance,” suggested Jesse, leading everyone and their dates to the floor. I was left with Justin.

“I guess you're my date, then,” I told him, dragging him to the floor, where he proceeded to purposely embarrass me with his self-described “sad attempts at breakdancing.”

We headed back to the table after a lot of dancing and a couple drinks. I'm pretty sure we weren’t drunk yet, and nothing interesting was happening. But going anywhere with Justin, you never knew how the night would turn out.

“Cheers,” he said, holding up a drink before draining it.

“Cheers,” I said back, taking a drink of my own. He was leaning close to me when we finished.

“Go out with me, Betty,” he said. “Will you?” He looked only slightly drunk. He didn’t give me a chance to answer and kissed me, pressing his face against mine.

“Okay,” I agreed, in between kisses. I was mostly sober.

…I think.