‹ Prequel: Iron Skye
Sequel: The Bird
Status: In Progress

Iron Maiden

Chapter 2

"Mr. Stark, could we pick up where we left off? Mr. Stark please." Senator Stern, (quite an appropriate name) was trying to get my dad's attention while he was talking to Pepper.

'Pay attention.' I mouthed to him.

"Yes dear?" He asked, turning around to face the board again, causing some of the crowd to laugh.

"Can I have your attention?"

'Good luck.' I thought.

"Absolutely."

"Do you or do you not possess a specialized weapon?"

"I do not."

"You do not."

"Well it depends on how you define the word weapon."

"The Iron Man weapon."

"My device does not fit that description."

"Well how would you describe it?"

"I would describe it by defining it as what it is, Senator.

"As?"

"It's a high-tech prosthesis." The crowd started laughing and I just rolled my eyes.

"That is that is actually the most apt description I can make of it."

"It's a weapon. It's a weapon, Mr. Stark.

"Please, if your priority was actually the well being of American citizens...

"My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America.

"Well you can forget it. I am Iron Man, the suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution depending on what state youre in." There was laughter from the crowd. "You can't have it."

"Look, I'm no expert..."

"Im prostitution? Of course not. You're a Senator, come on."

I kinda wanted to throw my shoe at the back of my dads at head. He better start digging himself out of the hole instead of deeper into it.

"I'm no expert in weapons. We have someone here who is an expert on weapons. I'd now like to call Justin Hammer, our current primary weapons contractor."

Justin Hammer? Oh, my dad better think fast on his feet with this one.

"Let the record reflect that I observed Mr. Hammer enter the chamber and I am wondering if and when any actual expert will also be in attendance." Not what I meant.

Hammer chuckled. "Absolutely. I'm no expert I defer to you, Anthony. You're the wonder boy." What a slime ball. "Senator, if I may. I may well not be an expert but you know who was the expert?" Hammer stood, carrying the mic with him. "Your dad, Howard Stark. Really a father to us all, and to the military-industrial age. Let's just be clear he was no flower child. He was a lion. We all know why we're here. In the last 6 months Anthony Stark has created a sword with untold possibilities. And yet he insists it's a shield. He asks us to trust him as we coward behind it. I wish I were comforted, Anthony. I really do." Pepper had to hold me back from jumping slime ball Hammer right there on the spot. "I'd love to leave my door unlocked when I leave the house, but this ain't Canada. You know, we live in a world of grave threats. Threats that Mr. Stark will not always be able to forsee. Thank you. God bless Iron Man. God bless America."

There was a little applause after his rant before Senator Stern spoke again.

"That is well said Mr. Hammer. The committee would now like to invite Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes to the chamber."

"Rhodey?" I said quietly, sitting up straight.

Cameras started flashing as my dad stood up to greet his friend.

"I have before me a complete report on the Iron Man weapon, compiled by Colonel Rhodes. And Colonel, for the record' can you please read page 57, paragraph 4?" Senator Stern said after everyone has taken their seats again.

"You are requesting that I read specific sections from my report, Senator?"

"Yes, sir."

"It was my understanding that I was going to be testifying in a much more comprehensive and detailed manor."

"I understand. A lot of things have changed today."

"You do understand that reading a single paragraph out of context does not reflect the summary of my final-"

"Just read it Colonel. I do. Thank you."

Well, I thought things would turn out better now that Rhodey was here.

"Very well. 'As he does not operate within any definable branch of government, Iron Man presents a potential threat to the security of both the nation and her interest.' I did however go on to summarize that the benefits of Iron Man far outweigh the liabilities and that it would be in our interest..."

"That's enough Colonel."

"...to fold Mr. Stark into the existing chain of command, Senator.

My dad leaned forward to the mic. Here comes another snarky remark. "I'm not a joiner, but I'll consider Secretary of Defense if you ask nice. We can amend the hours a little bit."

"I'd like to go on and show, if I may, the imagry that's connected to your report-"

"I believe it is somewhat premature to reveal these images to the general public at this time."

"With all due respect Colonel, I understand. And And if you could just narrate those for us, we'd we'd be very grateful."

An image popped up on the screen with an arrow pointing to a dot that I could barely see.

"intelligence suggests that the devices seen in these photos are, in fact, attempts at making manned copies of Mr. Stark's suit. This has been corroborated by our allies and local intelligence on the ground, indicating that these suits are quite possibly, at this moment, operational."

I saw my dad messing with his phone and he leaned over to Rhodey, pointing it it at the screen.
"Hold on one second, buddy. Let me see something here." Something popped on thr screen. "Boy I'm good. I commandeered your screens. I need them." He turned to the other screen across the room. "Time for a little transparency. Now let's see what's really going on. If you'll direct yours attention to said screens....I believe that's North Korea." A video of a badly made replica of my dad's suit came on the screen.

"Can you turn that off?" Senator Stern said to Hammer. "Take it off."

"Iran." My dad said as another video played. "No grave immediate threat here. Is that Justin Hammer? How did Hammer get in the game?"

I laughed quietly to myself. Poor Hammer. Always coming in second. I felt almost kinda bad for him. Nah, just kidding. I hated his guts.

"Justin you're on TV. Focus up."

Hammer was finally able to turn the TV off after we witnessed the suit do a complete 180 with the pilot inside.

"Yeah, I'd say most countries five, 10 years away. Hammer Industries 20."

"I'd like to point out that that test pilot survived." Justin said.

"I think we're down to the point he's making. I don't think there's any reason-"

"The point is, you're welcome, I guess."

"For what?"

"Because I'm your nuclear deterrent. It's working. We're safe. America is secure. You want my property? You can't have it! But I did you a big favor." My dad stood up and faced the crowd. "I have successfully privatized world peace." My dad flashed peace signs as the crowd applauded, rising to their feet. "What more do you want? I tried to play ball with these ass-clowns!"

My dad gave me a wink as he walked through thr crowd, shaking hands as he went.

"What did you think of my performance?" My dad asked, sitting in the seat opposite me on his privet jet.

"Huh? Oh, it was...it was definitely you."

"What's wrong?" He leaned forward, elbows on his knees.

"Nothing." I looked back out the window.

"C'mon. I know you better than that."

"It's just, you're so...out there, you know? I'm just scared something's gonna happen."

"Nothing's gonna happen. Hey." He squeezed my knee. "You've got Iron Man to protect you. He'll always be there for you." He flashed me a smile before getting up and leaving me.

"That's what I'm afraid of."