‹ Prequel: Iron Skye
Sequel: The Bird
Status: In Progress

Iron Maiden

Chapter 3

"I made Pepper CEO of Stark Industries."

"You did what now?"

"I made Pepper CEO of Stark Industries."

"Yeah, yeah I got that. B-But why?"

"Because she practically does the job anyways and I don't want to do it so why not?"

My dad and I were having one of our secret confession talks. It was where we'd sit in either my closet or his closet and confess some things without any repercussions.

"Anything you want to get off your chest?"

I looked down at my hands, playing with a loose string on the sleeve of my shirt.

"No." I said quietly.

"Skye..." My dad said, giving me a look.

"There's nothing I want to tell you."

My dad gave me another look before standing from the floor.

"C'mon, lets go see how many times I can punch Happy in the face before he starts complaining."

"I say it's not going to be long. Especially not with your interest in mixed martial arts."

"Hey, it's effective."

"Whatever. I have homework." I said, grabbing my laptop on the way out the door.

"Oh yeah. How's the business degree coming? Pepper will need a successor you know."

"I know. It's kinda already been decided for me since my last name is Stark." Yeah, I hadn't told him about the change yet.

We were down in the gym, after my dad had convinced Happy to get in the ring. I was trying to understand vector calculus while watching my dad and Happy.

"The notary's here! Can you please come sign the transfer paperwork?" Pepper yelled over over the music, walking into the room.

"I'm on happy time." My dad said, taking a couple swings at Happy.

My dad blocked a shot from Happy before elbowing him in the face. "There it is." I said quietly.

"What the hell was that?"

"It's called mixed martial arts. It's been around for like three weeks."

"It's called dirty boxing. There's nothing new about it."

"I promise you this is the only time I will ask you to sign over your company." Pepper said from beside me.

I looked up as a pretty redhead entered. My dad seemed to be rather distracted by her. Typical. Happy hit him in the back of the head lightly to get his attention.

"Lesson one. Never take your eye off the-" my dad kicked Happy in the stomach, sending him into the turnbuckle.

I chocked back a laugh. Poor happy.

"What's your name lady?" My dad asked, pointing a gloved hand at the rotary.

"Rushman. Natalie Rushman."

"Front and center. Come into the church."

"No. You're seriously not gonna ask..." Pepper tried to negotiate. I'd seen this many times.

"If it pleases the court, which it does."

"It's no problem." Natalie said.

"I'm sorry. He's very eccentric."

"You can say that again." I murmured.

She climbed in the ring, my dad's eyes never leaving her. They had an Intense staring contest as my dad drank whatever it was he was drinking.

"What?" My dad seemed rather frazzled. "Can you give her a lesson." He asked Happy.

"No problem."

He climbed out of the ring, coming to sit next to Pepper on the chair, crossing his legs exactly like her.

"Who is she?"

"She is from legal. And she is potentially a very expensive sexual harassment lawsuit if you keep ogling her like that."

"I need a new assistant, boss."

"Yes, and I've got three excellent potential candidates. They're lined up and ready to meet you."

"I don't have time to meet. I need someone someone now. I feel like it's her."

"No, it's not."

"How do I spell your name, Natalie?" My dad yelled.

"R-U-S-H-M-A-N."

My dad clapped his hands and a Google window appeared on the table.

"What are you gonna Google her now?"

"I thought I was ogling her." He flipped through several pages. "Wow. Very impressive. She's fluent in French, Italian, Russian, Latin. Who speaks Latin?"

"No one speaks Latin. It's a dead language. You can read Latin or you can write Latin, but you can't speak Latin.

"Did you model in Tokyo? Cause she molded in Tokyo."

"Well..."

"I need her. She's got everything I need."

I watched as Natalie flipped Happy onto the mat. I fought fought the urge to applaud. Maybe having her as my dad's personal assistant wouldn't be so bad after all. I could have her teach me some stuff.

"Happy!" Pepper jumped to her feet.

"That's what I'm talking about." My dad said.

"I just slipped." Happy said, trying to protect his pride.

"You did?"

"Yeah."

"Looks like a TKO to me." My dad said, ringing the bell as Natalie climbed out of the ring, slipping her shoes on.

"I need your impression." Natalie said.

"You have a quiet reserve. I don't know, you have an old soul."

"I meant your finger print."

"Right." Oh dad. I shook my head.

"You wanna go a couple rounds Happy? I bet I could beat you now." I said, closing my laptop.

"You think so?"

"Yeah."

He threw me over his shoulder, causing me to squeal a little.

"Break her you buy her, Hogan." My dad said.

"I don't think even with your salary you could afford me." I said.

"You don't think so?"

"Of course. I'm the most expensive thing my dad owns. Just ask him."

"She costs me the most money." My dad said, tossing his gloves back in the ring.

"Do not. You spend more money on yourself than me."

"Do not!" My dad said in a high pitched voice. He went to leave the room but turned back to us. "Oh, and Hogan, she's ticklish on her sides and the undersides of her feet."

"No! Traitor!" I squealed and Happy began tickling me.