‹ Prequel: Iron Skye
Sequel: The Bird
Status: In Progress

Iron Maiden

Chapter 4

We pulled up to the Hotel de Paris where this "rich and important people" get together was. My dad got out of the car, throwing a peace sign at the screaming crowd before helping me out of the car. I really hate dresses and high heels.

Obviously Pepper was starting to feel the nerves as well as she and my dad were talking.

"You know, it's Europe. Whatever happens the next 20 minutes, just go with it."

"Go with it? Go with what?" Pepper and I were thinking the same thing. Sometimes I wish I got my dad's carefree attitude when it came to the public

"Mr. Stark?" Natalie stepped towards us. "How was your flight?"

"It was excellent. Boy, it's nice to see you."

My dad grabbed the drink being handed to him on a tray. Figures. I looked around the room and saw that I was the youngest person here.

"We have a photographer from the ACM, if you don't mind." A photographer started snapping pictures as Natalie took the drinks from my dad and Pepper. I stepped back into the background, wishing I could become invisible.

I wormed my way around people to the bar.

"Can I just get a glass of ice water or something?" I asked the bartender.

"Sure thing."

I took the glass with a shaky hand, breathing deeply. The last thing I needed was for my "powers" to flare up right now.

My dad and Pepper made their way to the bar arguing about something.

"Anthony, is that you?" I heard a distinct voice over the crowd.

"My least favorite person on Earth." My dad said and I couldn't help the grin that broke out on my face.

"Hey pal." HE came over, patting my dad on the shoulder.

"Justin Hammer."

"How are you doing? You're not the only rich guy here with a fancy car. You know Christine Everheart from Vanity Fair." The blonde my dad and brought home from Vegas almost a year ago came over.

"You guys know each other?"

"Yes." Pepper said.

"Yes, roughly."

"BTW big story. The new CEO of Stark Industries." Justin said, pointing at Pepper.

"I know." I could tell Christine was as uncomfortable around Justin Hammer as I was.

"Congratulations."

"My editor will kill me if I don't grab a quote for our Powerful Women issue. Can I?"

"Sure."

"She's actually doing a big spread on me for Vanity Fair. I thought I'd throw her a bone."

"Right." I almost laughed at my dad's face. I could tell he wasn't even paying attention of anything going on.

"Well, she did quite the spread on Tony last year."

"And she wrote an article as well."

"It was very impressive. Very well done."

"Thank you." I could feel the awkward tension building.

"I'm going to go wash." Smart Pepper.

"Don't leave me." My dad said quietly.

"Hey buddy, how you doing?" Justin asked wrapping his ar, around my dad's shoulders.

"I'm alright."

"Looking gorgeous." I almsot spit out my water.

"Please, this is tough." My dad put his sunglasses on as the cameras started flashing.

"Can I ask you..Is this the first time...that you guys have seen each other..." Poor Christine. Justin just could not keep his mouth shut. "Listen is this the first time since you've seen each other since the Senate-"

"Since he got his contract revoked?" My dad was starting to walk away. He grabbed my arm, pulling me with him.

"Actually it's on hold."

"...when you were attempting to...that's not what I heard. What's the difference between 'hold' and 'cancelled'? The truth?"

"No. The truth is...why don't we put that away." Justin tried to push away Christine's recorder. "The truth is, I'm actually hoping to present something at your Expo." We all sat down at a table.

"Well, if you invent something that works, I'll make sure you get a slot."

"Mr. Stark, your table is ready." Natalie said walking over.

Thank goodness. I was getting tired of this awkward conversation. I sat down next to Pepper while my dad excused himself to the bathroom. I reseted my chin on my hand, letting out a big sigh.

"This will be over before you know it." Pepper said.

"I know. I just don't know why my dad made me come along. He knows I hate these things."

"You're going to have to get used to them if you're going to be CEO someday."

"I know." But I don't want to be CEO.

I looked up at the TV screen to see my dad in a race suit on the track.

"Oh god."

"What?" Pepper looked up from the menu.

"Natalie. Natalie!"

"Yes, Miss Potts?" The red-head rushed over.

"Did you know about this?"

"This is the first I've known of it."

"This...this cannot happen."

"Absolutely. I understand. How can I help you?"

"Where's Happy?"

"He's waiting outside."

"Okay, get him. I need Happy."

"Right away."

"He's lost his mind." I said as the race began.

The cars went rushing past behind us on the track.

"Is that..." I watched as some guy walked out onto the track.

I watched as he unbuttoned his orange jumpsuit which revealed a glowing circle in the middle of his chest that looked almost like...No. It couldn't be. Two long cables extended from his hands, glowing with electricity. He swung at the first car coming towards him, cutting the front clean off, sending it flipping down the track.

"Pepper." I pointed to Happy who was holding the case containing my dad's Iron Man suit. "I'm coming with you."

"No. You stay here."

"But-"

"No. I'm not putting you in danger. Stay here with Natalie. I'll be back.

I walked towards the door of the hotel, wanting to get away from this as quick as possible.

"Skye Stark."

I stopped and groaned inwardly. I slapped a smile on my face before turning to face the voice. "Justin Hammer."

"I just wanted to say congratulations on your decision to study Electrical Engineering. I might have some competition here in the near future."

"Thank you. And who knows, you just might."

He held out a black box. "Just a little congratulations present."

I took it, half expecting it to blow up in my face. Inside was a necklace. A simple silver chain with a diamond pendant hanging in the middle.

"Justin...you didn't have to-"

He held his hand up. "Think of it as a peace offering. Maybe I could give you a personal tour of Hammer Industries some time. Show you what goes on behind the scenes."

"I'll have to look at my schedule. Thank you again, Justin."

I turned and walked away, trying to shake up the creepy feeling crawling down my spine.