‹ Prequel: Iron Skye
Sequel: The Bird
Status: In Progress

Iron Maiden

Chapter 5

I tried to ignore the news when we got back from Monaco. I took on my dads solution to his problems and locked myself in my room. I was still seething from the fact that my dad would actually do something so stupid...and the crawling beneath my skin from my confrontation with Justin Hammer.

My dad's birthday was tonight and I was less than excited. It was just another excuse for him to get drunk and make a fool of himself in front of everyone and their dog.

"Skye?" A knock sounded at my door. "Can we just talk?"

I opened my door, peeking my head out. My dad looked like hell. I stepped out of my room, closing my door and leaning against it. We stared at each other for a moment.

"Well?" asked, crossing my arms. "You're the one who wanted to talk."

"Look, Skye...I know what I did was stupid-"

"Most of what you've done is stupid."

"I dont like you speaking to me that way. I'm your father. Start showing me some respect!"

"Then start acting like you deserve it! You act like a child then pretend like you actually want to take some responsibility when it comes to raising me. A good father wouldn't put himself in situations where he could be killed! A real father would have raised me without being drunk all the time! Sometimes I wish it was you who was locked away instead of my mom!" I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth. I opened my door, backing into my room. "Just go away."

I shut my door, leaning against it.

"Skye." I heard my dad's voice on the other side.

"Go away!" I screamed, seething with anger.

There was a flash of pain in my head and suddenly things were flying around my room. My skin was almost burning I was so mad.

I ran to the bathroom, climbing into the shower, letting the freezing water run over my skin. I heard several crashes from my room and knew everything that had been flying once again had hit the floor. No doubt they had heard that one downstairs.

I climbed out of the shower, towel drying my hair and slipping out of my wet clothes. I pulled on my robe, knowing I'd have to grin and bear the birthday party. I mean, how would that look to the press: daughter doesn't attend dad's birthday party. Yeah, that would sit well.

"Miss Stark?" There was a soft knock on the door.

I quickly tried to put everything that was on the floor somewhere before answering the door.

"Yes?"

"I was just wondering if you would like some help with your hair for tonight?" Natalie asked me.

I smiled at the redhead. "That would be great."

I sat down at my vanity in the bathroom while Natalie went to work on my damp rats nest.

Soon my hair was neatly curled, falling down my back and I had a small amount of makeup on, mostly to hide the dark circles under my eyes.

"Thank you, Natalie."

"Anytime, Miss Stark." For some reason, hearing my last name made me sick to my stomach.

I pulled the dress I was going to wear out of my closet, slipping on my shoes. I stood in front of my mirror as I took the necklace Justin gave me out of its box. I slipped it around my neck, noticing how it seemed to glint in the light no matter where I stood. I put on my best smile and made my way downstairs where the guests were already beginning to arrive.

...

Justin Hammer smiled at the computer screen.

"Sir, what's our next move?"

"I want Skye Stark. I want her here and I want her crying for her daddy."

"Why the girl?"

"She's the key. We get Skye, we get Iron Man. It's all part of the plan, gentlemen." He turned back to the screen, staring at the red dot. "All part of the plan."