Shades of Gray

Finding Home

Sylar.

Who is this Sylar you speak of?

What have you done with Gabriel Gray?


Gabriel was always a weird kid, but who is to say I wasn't? Other kids looked at him oddly, and looked at me oddly. Our parents always told us we were going to wind up together. But it never happened like that.

Both with nerdy tendencies growing up, our personalities fit hand in hand. Alison and Gabriel, sitting in a tree. Not necessarily kissing, no, but we were like two peas in a pod. Granted, it's not like I grew up with him my whole life.

We met in late elementary school, probably fifth grade. He was new, and most of my friends either moved, or moved on. I lived in Queens and he lived in Brooklyn before that. Apparently his dad was opening up a new watch shop.

He was always sort of fragile in some sense, too. Just like me. Just like every other kid, his parents fought a lot. Gabriel then isolated himself, but I think meeting me did truly help him, at least minimally. Another thing that probably helped was the fact that he began spending more time with his father, taking up watch fixing as a hobby.

Through high school, he mastered this art, you could say. With his increased knowledge, Gabriel's handsomeness also increased. But I don't think a lot of people saw it. All they saw was the sweater vest and the thick-framed glasses. I saw his heart.

Gradually, I moved to a more post-nerd life, not that I'm calling Gabriel a nerd. But I surely was. Interested in more comics than you could imagine, I, unlike a lot of other people, actually enjoyed school. I actually just finished getting my bachelor's degree in pharmaceutics. Not exactly what I planned to do, but eventually I was going to go to school for a degree in surgery. Eventually. I've been really busy. I had lived in the same city I went to college for about two additional years. I made new friends, and I loved the location. Time slipped by too quickly.

It's not that I never kept in touch with anybody. I had called Gabriel through college, but he got angry that I was never there. We haven't talked since. My parents and I on the other hand, are on a good note. We always are, at least, since I left the house.

But I've decided it's time to hit the pause button, and return to my roots, for at least a brief while. I need to patch things up. That's why I'm here in front of his house.

It's been six years since I've seen him. I hope he remembers me. I hope he loves me, like I secretly loved him all of those years. It was time to end the façade, and admit the truth to him, and to myself.

"...Gabriel, I missed you so much."
♠ ♠ ♠
I edited part of it. I realized that by the time she got out of college, she'd be twenty two at most, which seriously conflicts with the age of Sylar. He's probably twenty five.