Finale

One shot

The time is now.

You blink and you try to absorb it, try to process the fact that it's you, all this is for you. Bright lights, bright faces -- you're not sure where to look. Everything's swimming now, and you don't know what to do.

The world blurs and runs together, and all you can see are colours, swirling, swirling. You blink hard and suddenly, you can see again. Your cheeks are wet. You realise that you are crying. Obviously, your body got the message faster than your brain did.

Everything feels so surreal, and you wonder if you are dreaming.

The time is now.

You hold the mic up to your mouth, try to speak, without actually knowing what you are going to say. People everywhere are still going nuts, but there are some who have stopped screaming and/or crying, waiting for you to say something.

Everybody's watching you, now
Everybody waits for you now


Dare you to move.

The time is now.

You call the rest of them out, because this is special, even better than once-in-a-lifetime, and you want to share it with them. The lyrics come to mind easily; ironic, since this is the song you thought he would be singing, not you.

You hug him to your side. Everyone called him your 'contender', your 'opponent', but you never really looked at him that way. He's smiling that big smile of his, and you know that he is genuinely happy for you, the way you'd have been for him if he had won.

Confetti rains down on everyone and you raise one arm to the sky (or rather, the auditorium ceiling) and savour the moment. You're doing your best to keep the tears back as you sing; you want this to be perfect, you want them to know they did the right thing voting for you. You're surrounded by your friends and the judges, singing to a jubilant crowd that contains your mother and younger brother, both of whom are in tears.

The time is now.

"This is the time of my life."