Room 608

Five

“Murder is always a mistake - one should never do anything one cannot talk about after dinner” - Oscar Wilde

The next morning, there were mutterings all through the cantine from one kid to another. Everyone was whispering about the same thing: Pete Wentz. The rumor was, some girl called Kyla had knifed him in the middle of the night and strung him up from the ceiling. We'd all heard the gunshot earlier; the sound of one female place being vacated. The tension in the room was almost visible. Eventually, someone snapped.

"I have absolutely HAD IT!" Shadows snarled across the table. "So one asshole gets knifed and they kill some girl over it. WHO CARES? I don't see how it's any different from Ian totalling himself." He banged his fist on the table to get attention. I lowered my eyes to the table, slightly ashamed that I hadn't thought more about Ian. Glancing around, almost everyone had reacted similarly.

"Like you would know, you unfeeling moron." Surprisingly Quinn was the one who challange Shadows. "I know how I'd feel if it was Jepha. How would you feel if it had been Zacky, 'cause we all know you fuck him in the showers."

Shadows leant across the table and grabbed Quinn by the front of the shirt and lifting him out of the seat. The blonde must have been much more observant than I was; I hadn't noticed at all. Almost instantly, three or four of the wardens were over, pulling the two of them apart.

"HEY! I DIDN'T DO NOTHING!" Quinn yelled as they dragged him off. Jepha was ready to race after them and risk solitary, but Hayley and Bert kept him in his seat. I watched Zacky carefully as Shadows threw punches at the wardens attempting to get him down to isolation. His eyes seemed to grow wide.

Eventually the wardens got Shadows out of the room, and the remaining ones kept close watch on us while we ate in silence. The tables slowly began to empty as people finished their food and hurried back to their rooms. As Joe passed Amy, I saw him slip something into her pocket; she didn't seem to notice at all, too busy talking to Hayley.

I gave up on attempting to eat the stuff that they tried to pass off as cereal in this place and watched Hayley's lips as she spoke. They were full of color and completely flawless. I watched her stand up. She stopped behind me momentarily.

"After class." She whispered into my ear when the warden wasn't looking, and hurried back to her room with Amy. Instantly, I was daydreaming about the last time I saw her boobs. The next thing I knew, Bert was shaking me by the arm.

"Josh. Are you coming or what?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. I'm having major technical difficulties, so updates will be extremelly irregular. If you feel the need to update this story at any point, Kyla, feel free to do so without consulting me. You are co-author.