Sequel: My Teenage Romance
Status: Completed

Rock Star Father

In This Pool Of Blood

Not having seen the gruesome event, the band, Gerard first, rushed to see what had happened. Seeing the grisly scene, Gerard sank down beside her limp, unconscious body.
“Celeste! Can you hear me? C’mon, please, this isn’t funny. Holy-” Seeing the blood that had swathed her head, he yelled, “Someone call err… nine-nine-nine now! She’s bleeding heavily, I think it’s a head wound.” Topaz, who had reappeared, took out her mobile and made the call. After speaking with the call centre operative, she said that they had said not to move her, and that they would be about ten minutes.
“Ten minutes? Where’s Carrie when you need her!” Gerard muttered, more to himself than any one else. The band gathered round Celeste and Topaz went out to wait for the ambulance. Taking her hand in his, Gerard looked her lifeless body sadly. The next ten minutes were spent in silence, everyone was either staring at Celeste’s drooping body or trying not to, feeling awkward as Mikey and Gerard were family members and they were not. Breaking the silence, Topaz rushed into the dressing room, leading two paramedics who saw her and silently put her onto a stretcher they were carrying. They walked out of the room and were followed by the occupants of it, Gerard, still holding her hand, and the rest, walking behind sadly. As they reached the ambulance and Celeste was put in it with another paramedic who was already in there, and one of the paramedics got in the front drivers seat, the other turned to the five people who had been following him and his partner and said gravely, “I’m sorry but no-one is allowed in the ambulance besides trained ambulance staff. We’ll call you when she has been seen.” Resisting the urge to yell and be violent, they forlornly watched the ambulance doors close as the ambulance manoeuvred away.

Tearing their eyes away from the quickly contracting ambulance, everyone knew what was to happen. Marching back to the dressing room to check the time, they saw that they had about one minute to go until the start of the gig. Still marching dejectedly, the band made their way to the stage. Walking on they received a hero’s welcome.
“Hello LONDON!” Gerard bellowed to the crowd from the middle of the stage. “We’re gonna kick off this show with something dedicated to our good friend, Celeste, she’s currently in hospital; she had a bad fall, to put it mildly, so this is for her!”

And so after that introduction, they launched into “The Ghost Of You”. That was followed by ‘Drowning Lessons’, during the chorus of which the entire crowd was swaying gently in true spirit of the music.

At the end of the gig, after a few more songs, everyone, crowd and performer alike, was worn out and sweating. Back in the dressing room, the hospital that Celeste was in called Gerard’s mobile. After talking to the ward sister, he reported,
“They say she’s been stabilised, she’s gone into a private ward, and we can go see her tomorrow.” Everyone was happy about this.
After cooling down in the shower room (noticing someone had cleared up the blood), they trudged into the bus, exhausted, and fell into a dreamless sleep.

The next day…
Waking up, Ray, to his extreme surprise, found Gerard sitting at the small table that was in the middle of the living area in their hotel ‘room’ that they had come back to after playing at the gig the night before, surrounded by the smell of coffee and cigarettes and pictures of Celeste ranging from pictures of her in her school uniform in Year Four to pictures of her with her friends a few weeks ago. There was even a picture of her in an incubator a few minutes (or days) after she was born. Very confused, as Gerard was usually the last one up (before Bob), Ray went to make some coffee for himself at the small coffee machine that was on the chest of drawers by the wall in the room next to the living area that was separated by said wall, with an open arch instead of a door and found Mikey staring into space holding a mug of coffee, and that there was only about one mug of instant coffee and a huge jug of instant decaffeinated coffee. Slowly, as he had only just got up and was low on energy, Ray came to the conclusion that they, Gerard and Mikey, had either got up early or just couldn’t sleep, and had kept themselves awake with the coffee, waiting until the others were up and it was time to see Celeste.