Sequel: My Teenage Romance
Status: Completed

Rock Star Father

What's The Worst That I Could Say?

(Gerard’s Point Of View P.O.V)
I can’t believe it. My only daughter I had only just met, who I didn’t even know that much about, she’s just….they say she’s been stabilized but…she lost so much blood…could have died….I just feel so…empty, lost, shocked. I can’t believe it. Oh, look, there she is with uh…Carrie, what on earth are they doing? And here’s another one, Melissa doing a very girly pose, Carrie just being stupid, and in between them, Celeste, doing a typical rock-star pose! She looks so happy and innocent…well, as innocent as she could ever look! And honestly, a picture of her in an incubator a little after she was born. I remember that day so well. She was so sickly, so tiny, yet she kept on fighting for her life. Moments like now just reinforce what I’ve been saying all along: everyone I care about will leave me and I’ll die alone. I wonder what Janet would say if she saw us now? Oh...look! A picture of Janet and Celeste, the day Janet died. I know it had nothing to do with me, I was miles away, but…I can’t help feeling guilty. What if I had told her beforehand not to be at that hotel? What if I had taken her with me after I picked Celeste up? What if- no, I need to stop this; we’ve been through this before. It doesn’t help anyone; it just wastes time and pulls you deeper into the pit of despair you’re trying to escape. I’ll go outside and take a smoke now; I need it badly, to calm me down, clear my head.

(Mikey’s P.O.V)
I can’t believe this. My only niece, I only just met her, I knew next to nothing about her, has just gone and…but…she hasn’t….died…and yet….it just feels odd here without her and yet she was only here a short time…..I just want to….I don’t know what I just feel so….lost, confused, blank. She was the only girl in my life, the only one I loved, besides Alicia of course, but that’s in a completely different way. I wonder what she’ll say when she finds out she’s going to be an aunt after we get married. We could have Celeste as a bridesmaid or a flower-girl. Aren’t they the same thing? My God, look at me, Celeste’s fighting for her life in hospital after that gruesome fall (I know they said she was stable, but…), and I’m going on about my goddamn wedding and the difference between godforsaken flower-girls and bridesmaids!!!! I don’t deserve to know such great girls…she’ll pull through, she must…..and…..if, just if, she…..doesn’t….at least we know…what she wants her funeral to be like! I still don’t get how we got onto that subject. Must’ve been Celeste and Gerard, on their own is bad enough, but together….. I’ll go see what Gerard’s doing, he might want some more coffee…okay then, there is no more coffee. I guess we must’ve drunk it all. I feel so shocked I didn’t notice what I was doing. Oh, Frank’s got up. What time is it? I’ll ask him. “Half nine.” Frank replied. Oh. We’re going to go see Celeste in an hour. I’d better get Bob and Toro up. Wait; does anyone actually know where the hospital is? I think Gerard does. I hope she’s okay …oh, look; he’s been looking at photos. Wow…what an odd school uniform…and this one…what are they doing? And who’s the other girl? Here comes Gerard, and…yes, he was out there having a smoke. It’s times like these I see why… “We should wake up Bob and Toro, Frank’s already up, but you know them, and we’re going to go and see Celeste at half ten.” I told him.
“Yeah…about that, um...I told Celeste’s best friends and they’re coming too, at the same time, they’re making they’re own way there, I just thought I’d tell you that…” He replied, trailing off as he did when he was preoccupied and slightly nervous. I reassured him that everything would be fine, and that she would be fine. It was very odd, me reassuring him, as it was usually the other way round, him being the older, more confident, yet brutally honest brother.

(Normal, 3rd person P.O.V)
Gerard and Mikey walked to Bob and Ray’s room, finding Bob already up and quietly talking to Ray. Gerard advanced towards them to tell them about Carrie and Melissa coming, and Mikey progressed towards Frank and Gerard’s room. Wasting no time, he walked in and saw that Frank was still asleep. Quickly he shook Frank hard and stood back as Frank jumped out of bed and ran into the shower-room with a clump of clothes, got changed into them (in the shower-room) and ran out. Charging to the coffee machine, he too discovered there was no more coffee, and rushing back through the living area that someone had been looking at photos of Celeste and her friends. Rushing back into his and Gerard’s bedroom where Gerard, Ray and Bob had appeared, he said, “Okay, tell me if I’m wrong, we’re going to see Celeste at half ten today, there’s no coffee besides disgusting decaf, someone was looking at photos of her and her friends, we’ve got an hour to get to the hospital ‘cause it’s half nine and Gerard knows how to get to the hospital, right?” Everyone nodded as Frank flopped onto his bed and Gerard explained that Carrie and Melissa were visiting Celeste as well.

“C’mon, let’s go. We’ll take the bus.” Mikey decided. With that they half marched, half walked out of the hotel ‘room’, into and out of the lift, through the reception handing in the keys to the room and into the tour bus.

After an hour of endless wandering round the bus aimlessly, occasionally exchanging a few words with each other, or looking at the collection of photos Gerard had whilst driving, they arrived at the hospital. The evening before they had received a password that would give them entry through the hospital’s private section, and one to get them into Celeste’s private ward-room, for ‘safety and privacy’ as the ward sister had said. Moving into the reception area of the hospital, they presented the password and in return got directions to Celeste’s ward-room from the glamorous, shiny, grinning receptionist.

Whilst walking through the gleaming white corridors connecting the reception to Celeste’s ward-room and other private ward-rooms, Gerard began to get a little bit anxious. It was all to clean, too flashy, everyone was too happy; it was all too much of a lie, a sham to cover something up. The thought of what they were covering up, in any other circumstance, if Gerard wasn’t worried for his daughter and if it would be his fault if she died now, would be perfect inspiration for a song.

Turning the corner, they saw a medium sized, blue door with five chairs next to it. The two nearest the door were occupied by Melissa, who was wearing a plain white, long-sleeved top, a blue medium length skirt, tan tights and beige suede boots, and Carrie, who was wearing a green and orange top with navy blue jeans and white and red lace-up trainers. Looking as edgy as Gerard felt and standing nervously beside them was Patrick in a dark blue beanie, a black T-shirt with “ROCK ON!!!” written on it, black Vans and black casual trousers.

Gerard introduced them to each band-member and told Melissa and Carrie about their relationship with Celeste. After the introductions were over, Melissa said nervously, “Umm…the nurse doctor person said to knock and then umm….” Shaking her head and rolling her eyes, Carrie knocked hard on the door, then withdrew and started shaking her hand in pain.

“Who’s laughing now?” Grinned Melissa as Celeste’s answering voice weakly croaked, “Come in, unless you’re just playing knock-and-run, in that case I’m just talking to myself, so you’re not hearing any of this, so it’s pointless, so I’ll shut up now.” Smiling at what she had said, they all filed in through the wide doorframe and saw a medium sized room with dull white walls, a linoleum (lino) floor, a small bedside table next to a medium sized single bed and inside that bed, wearing a blue, thin nylon-polyester hospital gown was Celeste.

Moving further into the room and sitting down next to the bed, Patrick, Carrie and Melissa on one side, Gerard, Mikey, Frank, Ray and Bob on the other. Seeing Melissa’s normally pale skin a light shade of beige, Celeste said inquisitively,
“I know I’m not wearing my glasses, I think I left them at that place where we were for the gig, but Mel, have you got a tan or something?!”
“Umm…maybe I used a little self-tan moisturiser recently...” Melissa replied, trying and failing miserably to do ‘shifty eyes’.
“And here are your glasses, you did leave them. I did my best to clean off the blood.” Mikey said handing them to Celeste.
“Wow, they’re great, I never usually keep them this clean, I’ve lost all my cloth thingies. Listen, Mel, could you print off that set of lyrics for that song I wrote pleeeeease?” Celeste cooed.
“Which set, you’ve written and sent me loads of lyrics, who do you think I am, your personal reviewer?!” Melissa laughed.
“Better that than my personal nutritionist….” Celeste muttered to no-one in particular. Matt said slyly,
“You said you only wrote a few just as something to do in any odd moment.”

“Oh, it’s way more than that! Music is, like, her life! She’s got a file with all the songs she’s ever written on her computer and I tried to print it off once and the ink cartridge ran out about a quarter of the way through! Her language is kinda mixed, she refuses to say normal slang like ‘rank’ and ‘minging’ and that type of stuff, she’s the only person besides, like, parents that I know who does, but she is really bad with swearing! It’s like, ‘la la la la SWEAR la la la SWEAR’ all the time! Some of the people in our school are really straight-edge though, ‘cuz it’s kinda posh and prestigious, so she just says ‘BEEP’ around them, but some of them get really angry with that as well! Once she got so angry with one of them that she-”Carrie gossiped as Celeste cut her off with a stern look and a, “I’m sure no-one wants to hear that story, Carrie, or as your sister likes to call you, Care-Bear, so why don’t you be nice to me like the lovely, obedient person you never were and never will be. And Mel, I meant the lyrics for ‘Reality…Or Not’”
“Ha ha... ‘Care-Bear’...” Patrick laughed. He received an evil glare from Carrie which made Celeste remind him,
"Hell hath no wrath like a woman scorned."