Sequel: My Teenage Romance
Status: Completed

Rock Star Father

Long Conversations

“Oh, I just remembered I thought you would want those lyrics so I printed them off for you.” Carrie said randomly and suddenly, handing a piece of A4 paper to Celeste.
“Yay!!! Thanks a bunch of pitch black roses Carrie!!!...Or red carnations, they’re nice flowers….” Celeste said, taking the piece of paper and reading through it.
“Can I have a look at that, Celeste?” Gerard asked. Nodding, Celeste handed it to him, looking reluctant and saying nervously,
“Okay, but it’s not that good.” Reading through it Gerard was amazed by how angry and emotional it seemed, even though he hadn’t heard it sung by anyone and didn’t have a clue about a tune.
“Nice.” Mikey remarked, looking over his brother’s shoulder at the piece of A4 paper almost full of neat computer printing. “You definitely inherited your dad’s song-writing talent.” Celeste smiled flusteredly,

To someone who listens to this type of music, you could easily hear the influence of Evanescence and My Chemical Romance in the lyrics. Celeste was inspired and loosely based the lyrics on the story played out in My Chemical Romance’s first two albums, ‘I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love’ and ‘Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge’, the story of two lovers who break up but then reunite when their town is overrun by vampires. The female dies in hospital with a stake through her heart from her lover, (she was bitten by a vampire and her lover staked her before she turned into one) who tries to carry on but realizes he can’t and kills himself. He then makes a deal with the Devil to bring back both him and his lover if he can give the Devil the corpses of a thousand evil men, but somewhere along the line he gets caught and flung into prison (‘You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison’). Either way, in the end, they’re all dead.
“Oh, something odd happened to us this morning, we went into school for the first few lessons, then home then here, well, at school, you know Roxanne Vagen? Well she came up to me and gave me this and said it’s for you, private, and to tell you not to open it until you’re alone, and to tell you that she’ll miss you and hopes you’ll recover quickly.” Carrie said suddenly, handing Celeste a small, folded up piece of A4 paper, which had: “To Celeste Easton (or Way) PRIVATE. DO NOT OPEN UNLESS ALONE.” written in blue ink in Roxanne’s neat, smallish handwriting. Celeste immediately recognized the handwriting of the girl who she regretted drifting from every day of her life.
“Blimey…what have you been up to now, Rox?” Celeste murmured, mainly to herself.
“Uh, I don’t mean to pry, but who’s Roxanne Vagen?” Gerard asked.
“Celeste and her used to be best mates. They had a reputation together. If you saw them together, which they almost always were, you’d say “Look, its Roxanne and Rock-Celeste, The Depressed Duo!” They even influenced each others moods! The worst bit was; no-one could stand being around them, they oozed depression from every pore in their bodies! Some of the teachers used to joke and say they were joined at the hip. Well, the nice ones said that, the mean ones – sports teachers, mainly-said horrible things, said uh…“They’re joined by the laws of their Satanist cults!”, and “As long as none of those little freaks goes anywhere near me, I don’t care how come they’re always together!” or “They always hang around each other because no-one else wants them!”!!!! The nerve of those teachers, they should be fired for that! There will always be less of them than nice teachers though, what was it Miss Cassan used to say? Something like: “Those two are so close they might share a coffin!” That was until…….” Melissa explained, trailing off and looking at ‘Rock-Celeste’ nervously. Celeste was unpredictable anyway, but when talking of fights with Roxanne, she became even more so. Reaching out Patrick took hold of her hand and smiled at her which, as always, made her smile back.

Gerard and everyone else could see Celeste clearly did not want to talk about it, whatever ‘it’ was. After a while of talking, Frank sensed, looking at Gerard, that he wanted some time alone with Celeste and Mikey, so it was just family. Nudging Ray, he whispered to him that maybe they should go, and Ray nudged Bob and told him, and they all silently agreed, so Frank stood up and Ray and Bob followed suit, motioning Carrie and Melissa to do the same.
“We figured you guys might want some time alone, so it’s just family, so we’ll go wait outside.” Frank explained, smiling at the look Gerard gave him which said clearly: Thank-you-so-much-I-will-be-eternally-grateful-thank-you as everyone left, leaving Mikey, Gerard and Celeste alone. Hearing a sharp intake of breath, Gerard and Michael (Mikey) whipped round from their previous position of watching the door close behind Frank, the last person out, to see Celeste with her eyes clasped firmly together in pain, and that the bandages on her head were becoming slightly redder.
“Oh snap, not again! God, why does this damn thing have to bleed so much?!” Celeste cursed angrily, finding Gerard’s hand and clasping it firmly in hers.
“Should we get a doctor or someone?” Mikey, who was now sitting in the chair nearest Celeste on the other side where Carrie had been, asked concernedly.
“Nah, they said call when I feel like I’m about to pass out, which I don’t; yet. Why is it everyone is always more concerned about me than I am?! Before it was Mrs. Easton, or Melissa come to think of it, fussing over how I look, gasping every time I fall or have a minor injury that I just ignore, now I‘ve got you guys! Ah, well, you’re less fussy, you haven’t lied to me and I doubt that if you do lie to me it won’t be a ‘white lie’, like saying you’re buying stuff for someone else’s birthday.” Celeste replied, noticing how anxious Mikey looked.
“I’m FINE! Bet you a fiver I’ll be out of here before Frank’s done something stupid-and-immature-yet-still-funny…..okay, maybe not that fast, I’ll still be here in about five minutes, but you get the idea!” She reassured him. But Gerard could tell by the way she squeezed his hand, the way she smiled after speaking that she was nowhere near sure about this and was just as scared as they were, he didn’t need to have known her for years, this was his daughter, his own flesh and blood (yes…lots of blood…), he could tell.