I Want To Know What Love Is

Unexpected

"What time are you seeing Alexa's friend?" Said Ray coming into the tour bus.

"At 10 o'clock, she shouldn't be too long now." Said Brian checking his watch. He wasn't sure about this, Alexa had said this...this Kate was a hard worker but it was nothing like she'd done before but the job wasn't that difficult, he just needed someone to do it. If this Kate didn't take the job he wasn't sure what he'd do, advertise somewhere but they would be on the move from tomorrow, touring around and it would be difficult to find someone. He felt a little unsure about the whole situation.

"We could do with someone pretty soon," said Ray. "I couldn't find any pens in the place this morning to do my signing and the milk in the fridge was off."

"Hopefully this woman will help out and we can concentrate on what's important again." Brian replied, hoping upon hope that this woman would want to work with them, because it was a dogsbody type job after all.

**

As soon as he saw her he liked her, she wasn't like anybody else in the record industry, she had this calmness, a serenity about her, a little bit fragile may be, he couldn't put his finger on what it was but he knew she was different, he could tell, even from the opposite of the room he could tell. He hoped she wasn't too fragile, some of the times they had could be pretty wild and you had to be a little bit tough, tough with the guys and tough with the fans that hung around them.

They were meeting in the restaurant of a hotel, they were just going to have a coffee and Ray and Frank were with him too, he didn't know why he'd brought them and neither did they, may be he hoped they'd pursuade this woman because whether they liked her or not she was their last chance for the smooth running of this tour.

He knew as soon as he saw her she was Kate. As soon as she walked into the restaurant, Ray and Frank had their backs to the door so didn't see her come in, they didn't see her smile widely at the waiter who was standing near to her and ask where she was to go but as the waiter pointed towards him, he saw her look over.

She was gorgeous and for the first time since he was a teenager he felt nervous.

He stood up, well it was the polite thing to do wasn't it as she came towards him, her shoulder length glossy brown hair being tucked behind her ear as she walked.

"You must be Kate," he said holding his hand out for her to shake. She shook it gently.

"Yes, I'm Kate, I hope I'm not too early, the taxi dropped me off here ages ago and I've walked round the block three times," she said, smiling widely at him.

"No, we were early too," he said. "I'm Brian and this is Ray and Frank."

"Hi," said Kate shaking each of their hands. "Nice to meet you are you...are you guys in the band?" She said sitting herself down alongside Brian.

"We are." Said Ray. "We play guitar."

"I look forward to hearing you," said Kate as she turned to Brian, waiting for him to interview her, waiting for questions about her past experiences and such like.

"So Alexa says she's messed up your vacation." Brian said.

"Well, its changed our plans, poor Alexa but me coming here was all her idea, I think this opportunity gives her an excuse to write that book she's always been on about."

"So she's still talking about that, I hope she gets it done." Brian said, smiling and remembering Alexa's words about this book she'd always wanted to write.

"Me too. Look, I really don't know what this job entails, you'll have to fill me in."

"Well...its...its kind of just touring with us, taking care of the guy's needs."

A muffled laugh came from Frank.

"Frank, will you shut up!" Said Brian but Kate couldn't help but giggle too then wondered if this Frank guy was the guy that Marcus lusted after. No, it couldn't be, it would be too much of a coincidence.

"As I was saying Kate," Brian continued in the politest voice Ray and Frank had ever heard, "all it means is that you'll stay on the tour bus, make sure the guys have signed photographs ready for when they need them, make sure there's plenty of food, fresh milk, the laundry gets done, just....well...organise them a little, make sure they get up on time for interviews and stuff...thats all really, its not rocket science but there's lots to do."

"Oh, thats a shame, my rocket science talents will have gone to waste then," said Kate, then laughed as Ray and Frank laughed with her. "No, seriously, it sounds like...as if...well, as if I could manage that kind of stuff. Yeah, I think I could." Kate said, feeling comfortable around the guys, Brian seemed a little stuffy though, he was very good looking but she sensed he was putting on a slight act, may be acting a little too polite around her, this disappointed her slightly, there was no need to put on any airs in front of her. She liked people to jus be as they were, that was the best way.

"Come on Brian," said Ray suddenly.

"What?" Said Brian turning to Ray.

"Offer her the fucking job will ya and make sure she starts soon, I think she's going to fit in just fine."

"Kate, what do you think?" Said Brian, looking at Kate, she was gorgeous but she was looking at Frank and Ray and joining in with their laughter.

"I think...yeah, I'd love to do it, that's if you'll have me." She said.

I'd love to have you Brian thought. "Um...yeah, of course we want you, can you start straightaway...like I mean...now?" He said.

"I can start now, that is, let me get back to Alexa's to collect my bag and then....then I'm all yours." She said.

"Thank fuck for that," said Frank. "We're going back to the bus now, see you in a bit, yeah Kate."

"See you," said Kate watching the two friendly guys disappear out of the restaurant. "They're so nice, I didn't expect that."

"What did you expect?" Brian said, intrigued by this woman. He wondered how old she was, he guessed around his age, 29, 30, something like that.

"Oh, may be some dirty, rock star, ignorant types." Kate said.

"You haven't met the others yet," Brian said, then laughed. "Come on, lets go and meet the others and then I'll get someone to take you to Alexa's for your stuff." He said standing up, following her out of the restaurant, feeling comfortable with her. She was just what they needed, a breath of fresh air, someone new for the guys to get to know, someone he definitely wanted to get to know, much, much better.

**

She'd met Bob, he'd made her laugh with tales of his dirty underwear and also Mikey, he was quieter but still friendly as Brian took her into the tour bus.

It was amazing, that was her first thought.

It was so new, full of black leather and chrome and cleaner than she thought it would be.

"Its a new bus, as yet to be wrecked by the guys." Said Brian, "your bunk is right at the back, its on its own, which will be quite a relief for you and there's a small bathroom at the back too which the guys said that you can have to yourself."

"Wow, I didn't expect anything like this," said Kate as Brian took her through the small kitchen area, small but it seemed to have all the latest gadgets, then through to the living room area, she could smell the leather seating and saw the comfortable squishy leather sofas and felt at home straightaway. She was going to be comfortable here.

Further on there was a table and something else she wasn't expecting.

She wasn't expecting to see a guy sitting there.

A guy with jet black hair, messy hair, scruffy hair, a guy just sitting there, concentrating on something, writing something may be.

She also wasn't expecting him to look up suddenly, and she blushed as he'd caught her looking at him.

"This is Gerard," said Brian.

"Hi," said this Gerard with the mussed up but attractive hair.

"Hi," Kate said, suddenly stuck for words.

And she definately wasn't expecting to feel like she did.