I Want To Know What Love Is

Milk And Cookies

As she looked at the guy called Gerard she could hear this ringing noise coming from somewhere, a ringtone. Gerard reached across the table for his phone, glanced at the caller ID and smiled widely.

"Hi Mom," he said. "No I'm not busy. How's Dad?"

He was doodling on a piece of paper as he spoke and not looking at her anymore but she couldn't help but keep looking at him.

"So, through here," said Brian, "is your bunk." Said Brian, interrupting her thoughts.

Brian opened some black curtains and there was this huge bed and at the bottom some sort of storage area. There was a window high up, too high up to lay on the bed and look out of but it looked cosy and comfortable.

"They're pretty comfortable," said Brian as if trying to pursade her but she'd already decided it was going to be great here.

"Just through here there's a toilet and shower, the guys said you could have this one as there's another shower further up the bus. I'm afraid that one of the jobs is to keep the bathrooms tidy, I know that yours will be OK but the guys can be pretty messy, they're always leaving damp towels everywhere."

"Its OK," Kate said, "its going to be just fine. May be I can knock them into shape."

"I doubt it," Brian replied, his dark deep eyes boring into hers. He was good looking and had loads of tattooes. She had always wanted to stare at people's tattooes and wondered if that was what they were for. Did tattooed people mind you staring at them or not? Isn't that what tattooes were for? To be admired and studied?

They walked back down the bus and Kate could hear that Gerard was still talking on the phone. Obviously a family guy as he hadn't minded the call from his mother at all she thought.

"In this drawer here is a list of all the stuff that they'll need on the bus, they've almost used it all up so you'll have to make a shopping list and go to the local store."

"Hey Brian, she's not going to be able to carry everything, shall I go with her?" Said a voice coming from alongside me.

Brian and Kate turned at the same time.

It was Gerard.

He'd finished his call and was standing beside Kate, taller than her, like most people and brushing his long hair out of his eyes. She wanted to grab a comb and run it through those jet black locks, just to tidy them up a bit but then she didn't want to at the same time. He looked good as he was.

"Don't be stupid Gerard, you can't be seen out there doing shopping. There's fans out there queueing up already. I'll get one of the crew to go with Kate."

"Thanks anyway," Kate said to Gerard, "are the fans really out there already, surely its hours before you play?" Fucking hell, how big were these guys? Kate decided she must text Marcus this evening, see how he was getting on with looking after her pottery shop. It was a kind of holiday for him, he'd been looking forward to it, looking after the pottery shop in a small country village by the sea was the break he'd needed after loads of failed relationships. Plus he said he had his eye on a guy that ran the bookstore.

"Yeah, they start appearing quite early in the morning," said Brian. "Some of them are familiar to us, they just want to get up front for the show and its the only way. Kate, will you be OK checking out what the guy's need? There's also some dirty laundry to be done. If you get it into the laundry now then it can be collected in the morning before we move on."

"Yeah Brian, I'll be fine, thanks." she said wondering how much stuff she was going to have to carry back. She hoped he'd remember to send the crew guy in.

"OK, I'll send Andy in." Brian said as if reading her mind. He wanted to chat with Kate a little more but he had work to do. Plenty of time, he thought to himself and he had an idea, the next town they were touring had this fabulous Italian restaurant. He was going to ask if she wanted to go there with him.

Kate turned and noticed that Gerard was over checking out the cupboards.

"Let me help you. Kate wasn't it?" Gerard said. "I'll write a quick shopping list out, I know exactly what we need," he said grabbing a pen from the table where he'd been working and a lined pad. He began writing, then checked in the fridge. The list was pretty long but if she had help, she'd be fine.

"Whatever you spend, you'll get back from Brian, he forgot to tell you that." Gerard said. "Here you are, I think that's everything." He handed her the list. "Don't forget to put down anything you need, Brian won't mind." He smiled widely, his hazel eyes bright and sparkling.

"Well, I must admit, I do quite often stay up late and...well, lets just say that I enjoy a glass of cold milk and a chocolate cookie...or three." she said wondering why on earth she'd just come out with that he was going to think she was weird.

"That's funny," said Gerard. "After a gig when everyone has gone to bed, I'll sit up and have a glass of cold milk and...." he said reaching up to the top cupboard. "I get these out."

He showed Kate a pack of cookies, already opened and offered her one.

She took one and as she watched Gerard replace the pack of cookies back into the hiding place she decided she was going to like it here with these guys.

She was going to like it a lot.