Status: To love, is to destroy.

Cunning.

Grudge.

“Vi.”

I paused my hasty getaway, only because the new voice was more familiar and cozy, and slowly tilted my head back in acknowledgement.

“I hope that there is a reason you’re out this late, Virella,” the cool voice mused quietly, flitting through the misty night air. I moved one foot back and halfway turned toward the man, a slight smirk adorning my porcelain face.

“Isn’t there always?”

The hard lines that shaped the face of Severus Snape remained unyieldingly firm, though I didn’t miss the flicker of amusement deep inside his coal eyes. He held my gaze evenly for a long moment of silence, but just as his lips parted to inquire why I was out so late, the feint patter of rushing footsteps against cobblestone began to reach our ears.

“I suppose… you should be off then… Miss Black,” he said. “Do be careful. Not all are as… understanding… as myself.”

I gave a crisp nod, and resumed my flight. Just as I was ducking into a corridor near the Slytherin common room, I heard Snape’s long drawl.

”Mister Potter, Mister Weasley… shouldn’t you two be… in bed at this hour? Five points from Griffendor.”

I rolled my ebony colored eyes and slipped inside the castle.

***

The moment I exited my Herbology I felt a wave of irritation wash over my body; Hermione was waiting for me. She was sitting off to the side on a bench, looking utterly engrossed in her book. I quickly turned the opposite direction and ducked my head down – maybe she wouldn’t notice. But, alas, none of the other students knew how to be quiet as they exited, tipping her off immediately. I heard the book snap shut the moment my name left her lips. I pretended to not hear her, continuing to move at a brisk pace back towards the castle.

“Virella!”

Keep walking.

“Virella, stop, wait!”

Still, I ignored her until she caught up to me, gripping ahold of my forearm and forcing me to stop. I yanked my arm from her grasp and spun around with a snarl.

What,

Her eyes narrowed incredulously. “You can’t keep ignoring Harry forever, Virella, just because you’re angry. It’s a new year.”

“Has it ever occurred to any of you bloody twats that I haven’t the time to deal with this shit again?”

“Harry is basically your family, how could yo- “

“Is there a problem here?” My snarl twitched into a cocky smirk at the sound of Draco’s snarky voice. Hermione’s face drained of all color at the site of him, but I had to hand it to her – she didn’t back down, nor leave.

“Actually, there is; however nothing of it is of concern to you, Malfoy,” she hissed, crossing her arms defiantly.

“You’re harassing a friend of mine, Granger, as if it isn’t bad enough that your filthy mudblood ass is at Hogwarts anyways,” Draco fired back venomously.

“Draco, let’s just go,” I warned lowly with a tug on his robe. “Hermione, I’ll see you around.”

Without waiting for a response from either, I roughly pushed Draco back towards the castle. Once we were a comfortable distance away, I gave his arm a rough shove. He yelped in surprise.

“What was that for?!”

“I could have handled that perfectly fine on my own.”

“We both know you hold that Potter kid responsible for your uncles death last year, rightfully so, but you shouldn’t have to deal with that bloody trio trying to… to… recruit you on top of everything.”

“I do not- “

“You do, Vi,” he argued vehemently, turning towards me with his piercing eyes. We both were exasperated with this conversation we kept having; it seemed to just be on repeat for the past few months. I held his intense stare for a few moments longer before brushing past him.

“I’ve got to get to Potions. Bye, Draco.”
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, I shouldn't be starting. It will be pretty short! Maybe 5-8 chapters? :)
Would love to hear your thoughts.

3OCT edit:
So it was totally brought to my attention that they'd be like second cousins or someshit if she's related to Sirius. WHOOOPS.
So for the sake of story, we're just gonna pretend that, well, the blacks and malfoys have absolutely zero relation.
This is awkward.