Receiving

1/1

“Adrienne is pregnant.”

I didn't think he could do anything further to hurt me. I thought we’d reached the limit. I felt a hand squeeze my own, comforting and warm. My own was limp in theirs; my focus was on the man standing before us. Billie’s grin was wide, he was truly happy. He should be, I only wish it was me that was the cause.

The first time he broke my heart, I was sitting on his mother’s couch while he told me of a girl he’d fallen in love with. The second time, I was sitting on Mike’s couch when he told me they were moving in together. Mike had been there to pick up the pieces, and has done so ever since. The third time, I was sitting on this couch when he told me they were getting married. Now, sitting on this same couch, he pounded the final nail in the coffin.

“That’s great, Bill,” I forced out, returning his beaming smile and falling a bit to my right, to lean against Mike. Tré began to sing his praises of Billie’s virility, and the two of them spoke of some kind of celebration for Billie’s first child. Mike took their distraction to pull me from the room so we could be alone in the kitchen. His hands were heavy on my shoulders as he steered me to stand in front of him. I couldn't look him in the eyes, not when he knew what was happening in my head.

“Sarah…”

“I’m fine, Michael. Really-“

“Don’t lie to me,” He breathed, and leaned down to lay a kiss at the corner of my mouth. I returned with a second one, holding his face in both of my hands and holding him to me. He let me, and knew that it wasn't him that I was imagining. My heart raced, but not for Mike.

My heart bled for Mike, it really did. I'd been hopelessly pining for Billie for years, and he'd watched it all happen. I could see it in his eyes - he felt for me how I felt for Billie Joe. It should be him I was in love with, it should be Mike that my heart burned for. He wasn't, and he loved me anyway. Mike was beautiful.

“Hey, we’re gonna go out to eat- Aw hell, not in my kitchen guys, c'mon.”

Mike pulled away first, reaching around my body to grasp my hip and pull me to his side. Billie’s eyes flashed to that motion, but gestured for us to get to the door and get our shoes. Mike murmured that he loved me, and that it would be okay.

I stood in the kitchen of the man I truly loved, and watched my husband congratulate him.