I'll Be Your Wings

The Child

Damion's POV

"Oh what!? No way!" My jaw drops as the battery-less truck starts and drives off. "Oh screw this!" I kick the 20 lb block and whine as it crushes my toes. "That is so unfair!" I pout and storm off leaning the heavy ass thing in the sand. Some loser can find it and take it for all I care. My plan didn't work; I wanted to mess with the dude so bad. After all, he's the dork that slept under the tree last night. I laugh at how the girl he was with drew a circle around him in the sand. He looked so freaked out, I hope no one heard me laugh; it was kind of loud. I trudge home, finding nothing else to do, and grab my paint sets. Heaving the bag onto my shoulder I head back out to my area and look at my many different tags. One was a hawk attacking a bird, another was an owl at night, and another was an angel staring at the world as if from space... or at least what I think angels look like; I've never seen one. I stop at an empty wall in my territory and frown. It was a giant wall but I had no idea what to put there. I had a few ideas but scratched them because either they were to small or just plain stupid. So I frame out what I might put there and realize that it would be too small for the large warehouse side. I sigh in defeat and take my skateboard out my bag then pull the zippers shut so none of my stuff would fall out. Tim to hit the park and maybe get clue as to what I might so on the wall.
I see a few of the frequent clients of the skate park tearing it up. Most are trying to prove who's better and are showing off to girls. I join them in the courtship but we get no luck until I see a girl with looking at me with a smile. I wave.... then crash... hard. I eat the concrete so hard, it tears my chin to the bone. A few girls scream and most of the guys laugh at my pain. I sit up, wiping the blood... or try to at least, and turn to head home. The girl that smiled at me comes running up with a wadded up napkin.
"Here" She says. "Use this to stop the bleeding. Are you ok? That was horrible"
"I'm fine" I grumble and take the white rag. "thanks."
She nods and smiles; I notice that she's quite a few years older than me. Joyous... that makes her way above my 'allowed to date' age. Hell, I'm not allowed to date until age 14. that's in 3 years.
"Can I drive you home?" She asks.
"I can walk" I say. "Besides, it's only a few miles"
"Miles?" She asks surprised. "Oh, please let me take you"
"No thanks, lady" I say and trip over something.
"Are you ok?" She asks and I roll my eyes. This chick cares to much.
"I'm fine" I say getting annoyed.
"Oh no... what happened?"
"What?" I ask "Do I have a cut somewhere else?" I inspect my feet and legs to find no other wounds and then my eyes rest on what she was talking about. "Oh, that" There's a dead bird on the sidewalk; probably what I tripped on... gross. "It probably hit a car or fell or something" I shrug.
"How can you be so mean?" She asks, about to cry. "Poor thing"
"Don't touch it!" I say. "You'll get rabies or something" I figured if you touch dead things, you'll get sick. They're gross.
"Why do you think things die like this?" She asks
"Cause they do" I say an cringe as she picks it up. "What did I just say? That's so gross!"
She carries it to the grass laying it down, ignoring me so I turn and walk away mumbling. "Yo die of rabies not my fault." I look back and see her saying a prayer. Crazy animal lover.
That night I go to another one of my empty walls and I think about the girl again. That gives me an idea and I start painting. When I finish, it's already about 11:00 at night. I smile at my work; a young angel holding a bird asking why it has to die. I hear wings flapping in the distance and quickly pack up my things, racing home. I didn't want to be caught by the black bird.