I'll Be Your Wings

Home Again

Gabriel's POV

I flop down on my bed, glad to be home.... well home on earth anyway. It's not even mine, it's my vessel's. He only agreed to be my vessel if I'd take car of his dog and his house. No big deal, angels have been asked to do much more than that. The dog, Jackie comes trotting up and on the bed, nuzzling me with cries of joy. I sit up and wrap her in my arms. "Who's a good girl" I smile. Jackie wags her tail and her body as headbutts me; I pick her up and carry her to the kitchen, grabbing a glass of champagne and a cupcake. Yup, this is my breakfast. I walk to the lazy-boy chair and turn on the TV; Jackie jumps up and I let her sniff the cupcake. I was glad the they were still good. This makes me wonder how long I've been dead.
"6 months" I hear a deep voice and sit up; Jackie falling in my lap and nomming the sweet out of my hand. "Hey, I say, no fair. That was mine"
"I wouldn't have eat that" I turn to see my older brother, Raphael standing over me.
"Sup, Bro" I say. "Uriel says you got something to say to me" Raphael sighs, annoyed with my smart mouth. I like to annoy him, it's so much fun to do so. "So what's up?"
"Did Uriel not reach you?" Raphael asks.
"Oh this?" I pull the paper from my pocket. "Yeah, I'll get right on that" I say sarcastically. It was a mission to kill an Anti -Christ "yeah I know there bad but I need time to be alive, after all I was dead just a few days ago."
"Michael brought you back because of the Anti-Christ. You know what will happen....."
"Wait, wait, wait... Mikey brought me back?" I ask holding up my hand. "Wow that is so not like him"
Raphael glared at me. "Gabriel!" He shouts. "Focus on the task at hand"
"ooh, all serious" I tease harmlessly. "Oh come on" I get up setting Jackie on the floor. "Let me live a little. I've just been revived! Given it was by the least likely person but still!"
"You've been living for centuries at not once have you thought to grow up!" Raphael shouts at me. "You always act like a child! you eat like one and you thing life is just a bunch of fun and games! Grow up Gabriel! There's a war out there and you can't just avoided it likes it's just another play date" He scolds at me and throws me against the wall. "either you take this, or I'll take your grace. You don't deserve to be an arch angel with all the antics you pull. You never did" He vanishes leaving me alone and I fall to floor on my hands and knees, images of Lucifer playing in my head. Jackie comes up to me and whines and I look up with a shaky breath. "Fine..." I say out loud. "I'll take it" I sit against the wall, and pat Jackie's head. "I'll be back ok?" I teleport to Raphael's position. "Ok... where's the kid?"
"In Tampa, Florida" Raphael said.
"Oh how ironic, I was just there" I say. "That should be easy. I've wanting to kill a demon"
Raphael was actually surprised at this. "What made you change?"
"Our brother that's a big ass bag of dicks" I say with heavy sass. "What else?"
Raphael is so easy to irritate and I smile at the look he gives me. "Michael's not going to bring you back again if you mess this up"
"Aw, you do care" I say and wave a girly goodbye, teleporting to Tampa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Damion's POV
"Father, I'm home" I say. He turns and smiles making me tense; it's never good when he smiles.
"Damion, how was your night?"
I gasp and hold my breath. "I...I...I"
He laughs and looks down. "What did I tell you?"
"You... uh..."
"Speak up!" He yells and I jump.
"That if I disobeyed you... the black bird will come"
"Very good" He smiles.
"I... um... you... you said I could go outside at night... r... r... right?"
"I did. Very perceptive" He says slyly. "So do you know why I'm upset?"
I gulp. "n... n... no sir" I say looking away.
"You messed with an angel. Therefore making yourself noticed"
I stare in shock. "They're... they're real?" I ask
"Not like you would thing. They do nothing but destroy things. They are cruel and evil creatures. All the love myths are wrong about them"
My heart sinks at hearing what my father has to say. All the expectations I had go down the drain. I thought they were kind but... father says they aren't.
"Don't be sad my son. You'll be dead soon. After all, you just made them mad"
I whimper. "Father, how do i fix this?"
"You can't. unless."
I stand taller, hoping to get an answer. "please tell me" He leans close to my ear and fear courses through my veins.
"You need to kill an angel and bring his vessel to me" I feel a hard hit to the side of my head, throwing me into a wall. "After all this is your fault boy! You led them here! You must fix this!"
I cry in pain as I'm pinned against the wall and dragged across it; I can barely breath. "Yes..... sir" I squeeze out.
"Fix this" my father hisses. "Or do not come home again"
I cry as I run out into the street. I hear the flap of wings and race to the park for shelter. I hear it again and head for the water under the small bridge. Maybe it won't find me if it can't see me. Many minutes pass and I almost think I'm safe. I peek out one side to check and then lean back against the stone. I can't go home anymore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gabriel's POV

"Boo"
The kid screams like a little girl and bursts into tears. "I... I didn't now! That's not fair if I didn't know I can't disobey!" He whines.
"What are you talking about?" I ask
The boy shows his face a little. "You're.... you're not the black bird"
"The what now?"
"The black bird comes and takes children that disobey their parents." He cried. "I... I made my father mad"
"I'm not a black bird, kid. Geez." I say and pick him up by the collar and drag him out. "So what'd you do?"
"I got spotted... by... things" The kid cried as I set him down.
"Ok one, stop crying you look like a wimp. two..." I hesitate, this statement was not my favorite. "I'm uh... sorry. That I scared you."
The kid finally looked up at me into the eyes and sniffed way his tears. Fear turned to confusion then to an irritated scowl. "How the heck did you turn on your truck?" He asked. "I took out your battery"
I stared at this little prankster. "You did that?!" He quickly shut his mouth and turned to leave but I grabbed his collar. "Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah. I want an answer"
He turned and hid his face. "Y... yeah. I did that"
I smile and chuckle, a little impressed at the sly nature. "Ya wanna know how I started it?" The kid nodded and I told him that there was a spare battery in the back.
"That's not fair" The boy said.
"So... about this black bird?" I say. "You know much about it?"
The kid shook his head. "All I know is what my father told me"
"Ok new topic" I said, crouching down to his level. "Name"
"Damion" the kid says.
"Nice to meet you. I'm gabe"
"cool" He mumbles.
"So lemme guess. Daddy dearest is a jerk" I smile
"Don't call him that. He'll get mad at you" He whimpered.
"Please stop crying. It's ridiculous" I say.
"He's not... nice" Damion lowers his head.
I sigh and dig into my pocket taking out a handful of candy. "Here. You like candy right? I love the stuff"
The kid look up at me in shock and I chuckled. "Well?"
"I like the suckers." He said. "You're not one of those weird guys that give candy to kids to take them... are you?"
I raise my eyebrows and shove the candy back in my pocket, standing up. "Uh no." I say sarcastically and sigh. "I admit. I took the opportunity because you were hiding under the bridge. I though you were playing hide and seek or something. That's all. Didn't realize you were a girl"
"I'm not a girl!" Damion yelled and folded his arms.
"That and I saw you spray painting a wall" I say. I remember flying over head and seeing the kid spray painting an angel on the wall. It peaked my curiosity so I well 'stalked' him if you want to put it that way.
"Oh no... are you a cop?" Damion asks.
I shake my head. "Just admiring your work. Wanted to meet the artist. So... what's with all the angel paintings?"
"The wings" The kid says. "I don't just do angels; I do birds to. I love how detailed wings are and just... they're so col. I wish I had some"
I laughed patted his head. "Yeah, they're fun" I ruffle my feathers a bit; keeping them invisible was a little uncomfortable. The sound made the boy jump and hide behind me. "Can... can you protect me from the black bird?" He asks.
I look down at him and then look up, seeing nothing but the sun. "Uh... sure? Kid... there's nothing there"
"There will be... I disobeyed" He is dead set on believing that this thing is real. "Sure, I'll hang out. I got nothing better to do" I say shrugging. That was mostly true. I didn't know where to start when it came looking for the Anti-Christ. Those things have an aura about them that makes them almost impossible to find.
"Thanks" Damion smiles. "Do... do you have any suckers?"
I roll my eyes and dig in my pocket again. "Here"