I'll Be Your Wings

Black Birds

Gabriel's POV

"Jackie!" I call. "Here girl!" The dog runs up and I catch her as she jumps up to me. "Wanna go hang out today?"

She barks sharply and I grab her leash. If Raphael says that the anti-kid is here somewhere, well... if I just hang out I'm sure I'll pick up the scent. The kid, Damion stays at the park all the time; says his dick dad won't let him come home. I'm close to offering him to stay here but If Raph found out I had kid with me... just... no.
I see Damion talking to a young girl and smile. So he's got a thing for her. I can see all the signs. The sly smile, the touching his arms and neck. It was funny. Jackie yips, drawing attention to me and Damion waves. I nod at him and let Jackie off the leash. She runs over and Damion's girl picks her up immediately. Damion frowns and looks away sadly. I walk over wondering what's wrong. "Don't like dogs kid?"
"It's not that" He says. "I... messed up"
"He thinks that just because he told my sister that she'd get rabies from touching a dead bird. She has it... but it's not his fault."
"I told her it would... so it's my fault"
I face palm. "Kid, just because you say something happens, doesn't mean that it will"
"For me... maybe" Damion sighs.
"Yeah, bull crap" his girl replies. "I just wish my sister could come out of it. I'm scared"
I sigh and roll my eyes. "Damion, you can't get rabies from a bird... right?" I look at the girl
"How should I know!?" She shouts and folds her arms. "I just want me sister to come out strong"
I see Damion look away, face glowing with guilt; I can't believe I'm doing this. "She has my blessing." I say to the girl. What is with me? Why am I being so nice?
"Thanks" the girl says. "Oh, here's your dog" She hands my Jackie back and I set her on the ground to run around. I frown and flinch as a hand forcefully grabs my shoulder. "Dammit, Raphael, would you stop that?"
"Found the... kid" He says.
"I thought that was my job?" I say sarcastically and hold up my hand to Damion before he can speak.
"Well you fail" Raphael says. "You're hanging out with children instead of doing your job. As usual"
"So the kid." I say.
"More like the demon that controls it"
"Oh great." I roll my eyes and take his shoulder whispering to him. "So this kid has a demon as an example? That's not good"
"Not just a demon, Gabriel" Raphael said. "It's M"
"Ew" I say frowning. "Ok... I'm in for tearing his head off. Let's go"
"He has an angel blade" Raphael says and pulled up his sleeve. I stare in horror at the gash in my brother's forearm. The glow from his vessel lights up the area for a second before he pulls his sleeve down again.
"How hell did he get it?" I lower my voice.
Raphael shakes his head in silent confusion. The brute never like to say that he didn't know everything.
"So, we find M. We find the kid" I say
"Who's M?" I turn to see Damion holding Jackie.
"Not a nice guy" Raphael replies. "We're going to stop him"
"Ah." I saw. "Raphael has a sweet spot for kids"
He glares at me with utter hatred. "Grow up" He growled then turned to leave. "Tonight. We'll find it. And end it"
"Ok." I shrug. This was no big deal. Demons are afraid of angels, this was going to be easy. "So." I say to Damion. "tell me more about that girl"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Damion's POV
I play with Rachel, the younger sister of the one with the dead bird. We get more kids and split up into 2 teams; now we can play Capture the Flag. Gabe seems really interested as the two teams huddle to make a plan. Rachel was out team's leader and layed out the goal. "Damion, you go in head first. Don't get caught. Everyone else, the main goal is to avoid the other players and guard out flag. Guarding is key" She points out 2 of our 8 members. "You two guard. Don't go within 5 feet away from out flag. ok?"
they nod and Rachel plans out the rest. I was the main offence; the bull dog in a sense. I was, after all the fastest of the group. Both teams agreed that Skateboards were allowed since many of the guys had them. Rachel and the other leader nod at each other and the game starts.
I race forward to draw attention to myself and slide under a fairy large teenager that wanted to tag me. "NANA" I stick out my tongue and race around the playground, only to get cut off by the same teenager. I dodge left, only to launch off the wall and land right of the reaching arms. I dash off and grab my skateboard from the sidewalk. I see an opening and tag a member of the opposite team. I jump off my board and free on of my team member from 'jail' and we charge to the flag again. We tag anyone we see and I slide under a staircase grabbing the flag handle. I reach up and claim my victory. My team cheers and the teenager that tried to get me, shoves me off the stairs into the mulch. "Loser, you cheated"
"He didn't cheat you jerk face!" Rachel yells as I sit up, wiping off the wood. A few kids scream at me and one even hides her face. "What?" I ask.
"Damion...." Rachel stutters. "You're uh...." she points at my foot and I stare at the fact that I didn't even notice that the flag handle had went straight through my ankle. "oh look" I say a bit too casually. "I've been impaled" I turn and see Gabe covering his mouth. I can't tell if he's in shock or laughing. Knowing him, it's probably the latter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gabriel's POV

I cover my mouth to keep from laughing at how casually the kid just said that. I quickly reclaim myself and walk over. "Kid how do you not feel that?"
Damion shrugs. "I don't know. I just don't... it just... doesn't hurt"
This surprises me a bit. Maybe he's one of those so called 'super humans' although most of those are angels or demons using vessels and showing off how indestructible they are. This kid didn't seem possessed, I check to make sure. "Kid... maybe we should take you to the hospital?" I try to 'act normal' since I could take out the thing and heal the kid in seconds if I wanted.
"This is your fault!" I turn seeing Rachel pulling back for a punch to the teenager's jaw. The dick deserved it but I'm not the one that stopped it. A loud screeching sound erupted from the skies. Everyone looks up to see a hoard of large, black, winged, humanoids swarm the area. At least 20 of them.
"Black birds!" Damion shouts and tries to stand. While people panic, I go over and yank the flag out of Damion's leg, healing him. "Go!" I shout. "I'll explain later" The kid hurries to his skateboard but one of the black birds grab him. I teleport over dragging the thing down and twisting my blade into it's chest. "Here" I saw, giving my blade to the kid. "Kill any that land"
He nods gripping it tight and I see his eyes change to black. Dammit, he is possessed. I quickly rise up into the air to both take down those thing and avoid the kid. He's not my concern right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Damion's POV

I see Gabe rise into the air on golden wings after he gives me the dagger. My jaw drops in awe and slight jealousy. I wanted to do that! I see one of the black birds take the teenager that pushed me into the flag. He screamed and kicked, the monster struggling to lift him. I can feel hatred pulsing through my veins. I wanted him to be taken, I want the Black Birds to tear him to shreds. He's the jerk that kept picking on me. He always did. Now it's his turn to be picked at. However, Gabe dives down and I hear a scream and see another black bird pick up a young girl. I race over reaching to grab it's leg but miss. However I manage to ground it with some my power. I almost forgot that I had these powers. I jab it's throat with the dagger and grab the girl away from it's talons. I turn to see Gabe hit the ground with a blackbird in his arms. He literally tears off it's head and grabs another black bird slamming it to the ground; a loud crack echos out, suggesting that the hit broke the creature's back. I feel a presence and turn to strike a black bird as it reaches for me. I drag the blade through it's chest turning sharply to hit another. I see Gabe do basically the same thing with an iron bar. I run over and trip dropping the blade at his feet but grab the chains for the swings. I use my power to make it rise up and wrap around a black bird's wings making it chars to the ground. I clench my fists, tightening the chain around the creature's throat, suffocating it, then breaking it's neck. That was the last black bird that I saw. I turn to see Gabe is a bit surprised at how I handled that. His wings are still exposed and I bend down grabbing that blade from dirt. As I look up I see a black bird behind him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gabriel's POV

Damion has the blade in his hands; I need to get it without being hit. I step forward, only for the kid to charge at me blade raised. I step back, raising my wings in defense but the kid misses me and I hear a horrible scream as the blade plunges into the throat of a black bird that coincidentally was standing behind me.
Damion drags the blade out of the creature and stands over it, an unsettling aura of pride washing over the boy. "I thought they only attacked kids. Not... whatever you are" He looks over my wings with awe and wonder. I can tell he wants to touch them. "Oh here's your knife back" He says handing the blade over to me, handle in my direction.
"Thanks... kid" I say.
"Well done, Gabriel. Show your strength to hundreds of people. Do You have any idea how inconvenient it will be to make them forget?" Oh great, it's Mr. Cheerful. Raphael is always on time.
"Thanks for all the help. Bro" I say turning.
"It was only 20" I smirks back.
"Hanging out with me too much?" I ask as he vanishes to wipe the memory of the people. They didn't need to know what monsters are out in the world. I turn to Damion, knowing I'd have to wipe his mind.
"It won't work" He says. "An angel tried already. He also tried to kill me"
I stare at him in confusion. Why would an angel try to kill this kid? "Look kid,"
"It's not Kid. It's Damion."
"Whatever" I roll my eyes. "So..."
"so?" He asks. "You're weird. you have wings. and are really creepy"
"Thanks" I smile cockily. "I like to keep the creepy on down low, so promise not to tell anyone?" The 11 year old stared at me with the best expression of wtf. I try so hard not to laugh and pat the kid's head as he nods. As slyly as a fox I reach my fingers to Damion's forehead and make him forget that this ever happened. I kept his memory of him facing the fear of the 'so called black bird' so he wouldn't be scared anymore.