Loyal to a Forgotten King

Field Work

As Angela put on her jacket, she thought about her next job. 100$ to take care of a house. "What were they thinking" she thought. "100 bucks to watch a house? What a steal!" She laughed and started walking to her destination. It had only been a few days since the weird attack in New Mexico. A storm was brewing over head, no doubt connected to the attacks. Angela tucked herself into her jacket and continued walking. She heard a car and stepped to the side. As she passed she saw a woman with long brown hair look at her. Next to her was a young girl that looked younger that Angela; maybe in her early 20's? A man was with her as well. He seemed like he was in his 50's. As lightning flashed over head the young girl called out to her. "Need a ride?"
"Darcy" The woman said. "We need to get a move on!"
"That's ok" Angela said. "I'm just a block from where I need to be"
"Ok" Darcy said and the woman drove off towards a thunderous tornado.
Angela shook her head and continued on her way. "Crazy storm chaser"
As the storm got worse, she hunkered down inside the house she was set to watch for a few days. Tomorrow was the start of her internship with an astrologist. She sighed and went to bed on one of the many couches.

The next day the storm had passed and a knock came from the door. Angela got up and got dressed quickly. As she answered the door she stared. It was the man that was with the woman from the other day.
"It's you!" Angela said.
"Are you the new intern?" he asked.
"Y... yes" Angela said. "So is the one I'm supposed to be working with that woman I say yesterday?"
"Yes" the man smiled. "She is"
"Oh... cool" Angela said. "So I still have to watch this house so I have to come back before 7:00"
"Of course" the man said. "I'm Dr. Selvig"
"I'm Angela" she said smiling back. "Let's get started"
Dr. Selvig took her outside and Angela sees the woman and the young girl, Darcy.
"Oh sweet" Darcy said. "You’re the new girl?"
Angela looked down and nodded. "Um... yeah"
"Shy?" the woman asked. "I'm Jane Foster. Let's make this intro quick. I have work to do"
"Geez Jane" Darcy said. "We don't even know what it was. It's only been a week since you're boyfriend left."
Jane gave her an irritated look and Angela laughed. "Sorry."
"Aren't you a little old to be a student?" Jane asked.
"Well um... yeah I guess" Angela answered. "I'm only 27"
"only?" Darcy asked.
Jane made them all get into the van and Angela and Darcy kept talking. Jane drove to their location. Dr. Selvig was in deep conversation with her about the other night. Darcy and Angela were talking about each other; their lives, problems and interests.
"So you're a movie geek?" Darcy asked.
"A bit" Angela said. "That and I’m addicted to mythology"
This distracted Jane and she piped up. "So you like myths?"
"More than love." Angela said. "They really are a bit of an addiction. Especially magic. I go to every mythology convention. I know... I’m a total nerd but I can't help it. All mythology interests me. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Renaissance, Norse."
"Really?" Jane asked. "Do you know a lot about it?"
"Um... mostly Renaissance. My ancestor was tried as a renaissance wizard. I know practically everything about that age" Angela said.
"So like you're related to Merlin or something?" Darcy asked.
"That’d be beyond cool but I don't think so" Angela said. "Believe me I went through a stage where I even tried to use spells... it. Didn't. Work"
"Darn" Darcy asked. "Now anything about Norse mythology?"
Angela laughed. "Oh yeah. It's my 2nd favorite mythology. I love the multiple stories about the gods and their rival the giants. I like how one of them used magic without using spells"
"Yeah... you’re a magic nut" Darcy said.
"Majorly" Angela replied. "That's probably why I can never get a guy"
The girls giggled about how men are so stubborn and Darcy mentioned Jane's boyfriend. "Yeah he was hot"
"Darcy!" Jane said. "Was that really necessary?"
"What... hey you got to kiss him before he left!" Darcy shot back.
"I think he was too old for you" Dr. Selvig replied with a smile.
"Where'd he go?" Angela asked.
"He went home" Jane said and finally stopped the van.
"We’re here?" Angela asked.
"Now we wait" Jane said.
"For what?" Angela asked.
Jane then went into a 30 minute explanation about storms and how they could be connected to other worlds but Dr. Selvig shuts her up.
"Oops sorry" Jane said. "I've uh... I can't talk about it but let's just say it's important"
Angela raised an eyebrow. "Ok whatever." She opens the door and walks out. "I gotta stretch ok?"
"Can I come with?" Darcy whined.
"Just stay close guys..." Jane said. She looked down a bit embarrassed. "I don't want run over anyone again"
"Do I even want to ask?" Angela said.
"Jane ran over the same guy twice with this van" Darcy said.
"Shouldn't you have your license suspended for that?" Angela asked.
Jane made a face. "He didn't count"
Angela looked so confused. "Forget I said anything"
A rumble sounded and both girls dashed back inside.
"Can I go home now?" Angela asked. "this is too freaky"
"Hold on" Jane says and leans forward looking up. "It's Happening!!"
Angela leans over and looks out the window. "Oh my god"
A huge thunderstorm raged above unlike the last night, there was no tornado of doom. Jane seemed very determined to go towards it.
"Ok no..." Angela said, getting out. "I'll risk the walk it's almost 7:00. I have to get back to the house or I won't get paid"
After another hour Jane gave up. "It's not him"
She drove back into town and dropped Angela off at the house.
Disappointed by her lack of learning the girl dropped her internship a few days later and was yelled at by Jane. Angela went back home and received the 100$ for watching the house. Another week passed and Angela got bored again. "So much for field work" she said as she fell onto her bed. "Perhaps a little bit of fun instead" she got up, put on a short dress and went to the local bar for 'some fun'.