Until We're Gone

Justin Austin Robinson Jr.

My name is J.A. short for Justin Austin Robinson Jr. Yeah I know what was my parents thinking when they name me. Personally I like it, it's like me in a way. The epitome of what everyone hates. I'm the type of person that hardly lets anyone in. I see it as as I rather be to myself than being around a bunch of people not knowing if they actually like me for me. i spend most of my time with animals. From the smallest insects to the top of the food chain. I love them all. On top of that I'm not particularly good in school. I'm basically a C average student. C- if I'm honest. Which is why my face is contorted into all different expressions as I read this acceptance letter into one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the city.

To, Justin Austin Robinson Jr.
We are proud to present you with this acceptance letter to Jackson High Boarding School for the Talent Inclined. We have study you for quite sometime and starting this fall we will love for you to join us. Your schedule and other essentials are include along with our school brochure.


I shook my head laughing. If they had actually been studying me they wouldn't want me to come to their school. I'm in detention four times a week, and seeing as we're only in school five days a week it's kind of pathetic. It's not like I want to get into trouble. It's just that I'm not really a people person. Even with all of that combined I can't believe that I have agreed to leave and go to that school. As I pack my bags I realize there's one person I have to say good-bye to until at least the holidays. My dog.

"Hey boy." I smiled scratching behind his ear. I feel familiar with animals. Like there's nothing that can possibly go wrong. I checked my surroundings before twitching my ears and listening closely.
You're leaving me Justin. How could you leave me? I looked into my dog's face and I swear I could see tears forming in his eyes. It was heart-breaking.

"I'm not leaving you. I'll come back, but I think this school might be good for me. If they want me after seeing my school records, then maybe it's something about this school. Maybe they can explain why I can understand you so clearly when nobody else can."

I have heard of this school. I only tell you that much because you have been selected, but that's about as much as I can tell you. This school will indeed be beneficial for you. You should go.

"Are you sure?"

Remember at the pet store. You walked in and all the animals were trying your hardest to get your attention. Most of them were screaming "hey! Look at me, look at me!" You said I was different. That I stood out through all of them, no matter how loud they were.

"I remember. Your voice I heard so clearly. It was weird, you weren't saying anything. You just sat there looking at me. I didn't choose you, you chose me. I knew I had to get you. I knew you were mine."

And I knew you were mines. I will miss you after your departure, but I will anticipate every evening that you're allowed to return. When do you leave?

"In two days. Dad's letting me take the town car. I'll miss you also."

....................................................................................


My bags were pack and in the car. I waved good-bye to my parents and the twins and my older brother. I admit it was going to be a lot less awkward without me around and I'm positive they were going to like it that way. With a sigh and a tap on the window telling the driver I was situated I finally pulled out my schedule to see that there was two separate sets.

Schedule One: Monday, Wednesday and Friday,

1. Science III; Mr. James, Rm 201

2. Math III; Ms. Johnson, Rm 300

3. Social Studies III; Mrs. Thompson, Study Hall

4. Writing III; Mr. Thompson, Rm 300

5. Reading III; Mrs. James, Rm 201

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SHOW AT ALL OF YOUR CLASSES FOR BASIC ACADEMICS. SCHEDULES VARY PER PUPIL AND SKILL LEVEL. THIS ,HOWEVER, IS A BASIC JUNIOR LEVEL SCHEDULE. EACH CLASS IS A HOUR AND THIRTY MINUTES LONG.

Schedule Two: Tuesday and Thursday

1. Advance Animal Training; Mr. Tomlinson, Greenhouse

2. Advance Animal Studies; Mr. Tomlinson, Study Hall

3. Advance Ability Training; Mr. Tomlinson, Soccer Field


I stared at my schedule opened mouthed. This had to be the weirdest schedule I have ever seen. Yet the only problem I had with it was the hour and a half long Social Studies. At least I can catch up on my sleep. I sighed. There was still an six hour drive ahead of me. With this bad traffic you can tag on an extra two. I got comfortable and before I knew it I was sleep.

.........................................................................................


"Welcome to Jackson High Boarding School for the Talent Inclined" said a voice causing me to jump startled. "This way to the head mistresses office." I said nothing as I followed the strange man into the school with the driver tailing behind. We reached the room after walking down a long empty hall. The school had a monotone color and sound. It was painted a dusty brown and looked as if it could've once been an old retirement home or something that screamed dead. "Here we are." said the strange man before turning and leaving. Stranger than at first.

"Come in." said a voice behind the closed door. I found it weird because I hadn't even knocked yet. Still I did as told.

"Hi." I said as I sat down.

"Hi Justin. I wanted to see you today because due to over crowding you will be rooming with two others. A boy and a girl. Is that okay?"

"It's fine." I sighed. Great another school year of being a social outcast. Even in the privacy of my own room.

"Great. We don't get too many like you here. Three at the most. You room is straight down this hall, make a left, a right and then another left. I hope you like it here. More will be explained at orientation tonight."

"Um...yeah. Okay. Me too."

I could tell she wanted to speak to me more, but restrained herself because of my driver standing outside the door. I followed the directions given to me and used the key she gave me to unlock the door. If I wasn't already creeped, my initials being engraved into my bed definitely did the trick, but I was too tired to worry about it. I flopped down on my bed and almost instantaneously my eyelids became heavy and I was out like a light.
♠ ♠ ♠
This only the beginning and it is fillerish, but I hope it gives you an idea what going on at that school. The conversation with the dog is just a peak at his abilities