Until We're Gone

J.A.

I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock. It was 2:30 in the morning. After the initial shock from how long I slept, I grabbed my suitcase from the foot of my bed and went to change out of my day clothes. Not wanting to wake and disturb my fellow dorm-mates, I opted for the bathroom by the head mistress's office.

-15 minutes later-


I walked out of the bathroom and was instantly overwhelmed with the sound of crying. No one was in the halls, except for the fish tank. I sighed, I knew it was after curfew, but I just couldn't leave a helpless animal. I checked my surrounding before sitting on side of the table and twitching my ears.

Every year! Every year some 'talented' kid tortures me. I tapped on the glass only to hear him scream.

"Oh my! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. Are you okay?" I asked wholeheartedly. He stared at me for a moment before speaking up.

You can hear me, can't you? I nodded yes a shy smile forming on my face. Last year we only had one of your kind here. She use to sneak out around this time and keep me company. I miss her.

"I can keep you company if you want. I can spend half of my lunch hour with you. If you don't mind me asking; why were you just crying a few minutes ago?"

Well some kid actually stood over there and spun me around in my bowl. He found it to be quite amusing. My little heart can not handle to many more surprises like that. I'm quite old despite my appearance, and his little joke was not amusing.

"I don't like people who find messing with animals funny. It's rude and inconsiderate. Not to mention disregarding to that animal. If I find out who this boy is, I will make sure he gives you the apology you deserve."

Oh,do not worry for me. I have long forgiven the child who has done that to me. Just another young pupil trying to find himself.

"The least I can do is pound his face in on your behalf."

Oh young...

"Justin Austin. J.A for short."

Young J.A fighting has never been tolerated here. The head mistress will highly disapprove of that. She's very keen on following the rules. With that I shall bid you goodnight young J.A, and I thank you for your time and company. I am Freddie.

"Goodnight Freddie."

I smiled as I stood up waved good-bye to my fish friend. I turned only to come face to face with Ms.Manning, the head mistress.

"I see someone is eager to break the rules," she said in a joking tone with a slight smile on her face "and I see you've met Freddie also."

"Yes ma'am. I didn't want to wake the others and I needed to change into my night clothes. On my way back I heard Freddie here crying. So I thought that I could cheer him up." Instantly I clamped my mouth shut. I was sure she was going to think that I was weird. I couldn't believe I had just blurted out a secret that I've kept for so long. I waited for chastisement or at least a look that I cannot put into words.

Instead I got neither. She simply smiled at me and waved me towards my dorm. For some reason that didn't feel as weird as I thought it would. I was quite comfortable and I felt like she understood me in a way. Like she was a new mother figure in my life. I felt strangely safe and comfortable in this new and unfamiliar place. Then again it was a school insist that what a school is suppose to feel like.

....................................


I woke up the next morning to the sound of singing coming from the bathroom. I groaned as I rolled over on my side, seeing that I still had a good three minutes to sleep. Knowing I wasn't getting back to sleep I got up and got my clothes together for the day. We were allowed to wear whatever we wanted to wear on one condition. We had to wear the school's all black blazer with it's logo. As I locked my suitcase making a mental note to unpack later I seen my female roommate coming out of the bathroom.

"Oh, good morning." she said smiling.

"Good morning."

"I'm Savannah Lee Anderson. Or you can call me Vannah."

"Um...I'm Justin Austin Robinson Jr, J.A for short."

"Did my singing wake you?"

"Kind of." I replied honestly.

"Oh sorry, I know I'm terrible, but it's kind of a routine."

"Is it possible that you can cut that part out of your routine?" I asked trying to hide the irritation I was feeling thinking about her doing it every morning from my voice.

"Almost as possible as you cutting all of that black out of your wardrobe." she rolled her eyes at me and I was sure that was the end of our conversation. I groaned as I headed towards the bathroom we were all being forced to share. When I was done I walked straight out the room and towards the main hall for breakfast, not bothering to acknowledge the shirtless boy sitting on his bed. This was going to be something of a year, If I had to deal with that every morning.

I headed into the main hall and was instantly overwhelmed with the smell of pancakes(my favorite). I smiled. It wasn't a great morning, but it was a descent one. After filing up my plate with as much sausages, bacon, eggs and pancakes as I could eat I went in search for a suitable seat. I ended up sitting by the window. Making sure nobody was paying attention I twitched my ears to listen to the birds outside.

Good morning. Good morning, it's great to stay up late. Good morning. Good morning to you, and you and you and YOU.

I found myself choking on my orange juice. I didn't even know birds knew that song. It was three levels past hilarious. I knew everyone was looking at me like I was insane, but that didn't matter. At least at this moment it didn't.
♠ ♠ ♠
I realized that three other people had to write about their characters morning. So I had to stop myself. I wanted to make this REALLY REALLY long, but that isn't fair. It's a Monday so they all have the same classes together.