Oh, Dear Mary

The Master

As a little girl, poor Mary Reilly had a life of tragedy and torture, as she lived as a young servant.
Mostly her dad, Mary's mother, Carrie worked all day and night, and when she returned home, seeing her husband drunk was one thing, but Mary's safety was a great deal to Carrie.

But soon her father would stand face to face with death itself, as Carrie told her scared and helpless daughter, 'slurring and stumbling over a drink will only get you so far.' And right she was.
One night Mary was set to sleep, her mom was at work, alone with her dad she was scared to go to bed. She peered out her little window for a moment and saw her dad stumbling over himself in front a very strange and mysterious man. He was tall, thin, handsome, long black hair curled over his face. He stood face to face with her father, arms crossed with a smirk on his face that expressed deadly evil. Mary as confused as she was, wasn't so scared. She even managed to crack that same smirk the mysterious man did.
Mary realized what had come across her face and shook her head to go back into focus. The man unfolded his arms and paced to her dad, not even 4 feet away. He took ahold of her dad's neck and stopped for a moment. She saw the facial expression on her dad, who begged for survival and to breathe. The man slowly lifted his head and started moving it towards the window Mary was eves dropping through. She jumped and moved away from the window as quick as lightning. Her breath began to escalate, and she hid under her covers, now fearful for her own life. She calmed down a bit before hearing her dad's awful, curdling screams. She tried forcing herself to go to sleep so she could wake up hoping it was a dream, but when we awoke, it was her mom who had sat by her bedside, caressing her hand and smiling. Mary looked around thinking something bad had happened, and when she realized it wasn't a dream she let out a huge, sorrowful scream before crying her little eyes out. Her mom tried to help but there was no use, poor Mary had gone crazy.

* Dream Ends *

"Ah!" Mary jolted her head up. She sighed in anger and hit her pillow with her fists before whipping sweat off her forehead. She accidently woke up her roommate Olivia, who shared the same bed as Mary.
"Mary, dream again..?' Olivia rubbed Mary's back in comfort. Mary shook her head.
Olivia rolled over and fell to sleep again. Mary got back up and walked to her door.
"I'm going to get some water, Olive." Olivia gave a thumbs up and her hand plumped back on the bed as she started snoring.
Mary had realized how early it was, not even Five A.M yet. But she felt like she had just drowned in a pool of her own sorrows, so she decided to get up for some fresh air.

When she arrived at the kitchen she grabbed a glass and poured some tap water, drinking it as if she had lived in a desert for 50 years.
She had these same dreams. These dreams of hearing her dads unbelievable horrifying screams of being murdered. And they were true. But why she had these multiple times a week was beyond her.
When she had some courage left to take a another hour of sleep, she heard footsteps. Hard, pounding footsteps. They sounded familiar. She stayed there in hopes when they caught her, it wouldn't be so bad.

"Who's in the kitchen?" The deep voice echoed.

"Mary, sir." She lowered her head in shame.

Oh, dear Mary you're up early." It was her Uncle, Mr. Poole.

"yes, Mr. Poole sir, I needed a cup of water, I had a bad dream." Mary walked up the to man.

Mr. Poole hugged Mary, which had made her slightly confused, because family or not, he never hugged her. He even called her filth once when she was a young girl.

"Mary, I need you to do something for me this morning. I'm leaving for a couple hours with my Wife, can you bring the Master his breakfast at Seven A.M. Please?"

"Yes, sir. But I'm never allowed to do that?" Mary sounded shocked.

"No one else will do it, Mary."

Mary shook her head and went upstairs to set her alarm for Seven, and it went by quicker than she thought.

She was nervous to meet the Master, also known as the Doctor, that's what everyone called him anyway. She gathered the tray in which carried so much food she almost got sick, and carefully brought it upstairs to his door. She hesitated, but knew she had no choice and opened the door quietly. In front of her eyes, there was a huge bed which in it slept a peacefully sounded man. Who didn't even make a movement. She brought the tray over to his bedside and moved the sheets out of the way to get some sunlight in.
She didn't want to wake him so she headed to the door when she heard shuffling from the bed behind her. It suddenly stopped.
She closed her eyes and turned around to see the Master sitting up and staring at her with a smile on his face.

"Good morning, Mary." He folded his arms.

"Morning.. Sir." Mary stood in her place, frozen. How did he know her name?

"Mary, I saw you yesterday afternoon reading. I had no idea you liked reading."

"Yes, sir I do."

Well.." The Master got up and sat in front of the tray. "You are most welcome to borrow any book of mine that catches your eye."

"Thank you, sir. But I don't want be a bother." Mary suddenly opened the door.

"No, I cannot eat this Mary. I'm not hungry."

"I'm sorry si-"

No, leave the tray, can you ask Mr. Poole to remove this un-needed dresser for me?"

Yes sir."

"Mary.." The Doctor grabbed her hand, Mary suddenly gasped, a huge amount of chills that went through her body made her nuts. His hands were freezing cold. "Want to tell me what happened?"

Mary tried to speak, she even opened her mouth, but no words could come out, no matter how hard she tried. Tears filled her eyes, but they couldn't fall.

"I wont ask again." The Master looked down feeling bad about asking. Mary walked out of the room as quickly as she could before the Master could begin to apologize.

Mary went downstairs to tell Mr. Poole about the dresser when they heard footsteps. It was the Master.

"Dr." Mr. Poole bowed. The master made his way over to Mary and insisted to apologize for what he said.

"It's okay, Master.

"Please, Mary. Call me Henry." The Master smiled. Mary smiled back.
♠ ♠ ♠
~ Brianna's Chapter ~