Status: So, This is the insanity my mind came up with when I was 17/18. Feel free to laugh.

Nightmares Are Dreams in Technicolor

Chapter Twenty Three

Jayden didn’t say a word as we walked down the winding stair case back to the kitchen. This time no one was in there to run from Jayden. I sighed as I looked up into those strangely beautiful eyes.

“This is the staff kitchen, where I will be eating most of the time,” I started. Jayden made a sound that was so much like music, but it was only his laughter.

“That first sentence is correct, love, but I must say you and Callie will be joining me tomorrow morning in the main dining hall for breakfast,” he said through his beautiful laughter.

“Breakfast, really, what do Gods and Goddesses eat,” I asked in a mock formal sounding tone. He raised an eyebrow at me.

“The same thing as humans, I suppose, only we tend to eat a bit more. I suppose it helps us to keep our energy levels up so we do not hurt ourselves.”

”Wow, we’re like little kids,” I laughed. “We have to take precautions so we don’t hurt ourselves.”

”Well, not exactly. We have to have better self control than a child,” he began to explain as we walked out of the kitchen and into a long dark hall.

“What do you mean by more self control,” I questioned. He smiled brightly as he continued to lead me down the hall.

“We have to be more careful with our emotions. You have seen what you could do to someone when you get angry, but other emotions can be dangerous as well. If you show love towards someone it could kill him,” he explained.

“How could love kill someone,” I wondered aloud.

“That is a very long and painful story, that you do not need to know or understand, just take my word for it,” he answered almost mysteriously.

I managed to stay silent as we walked down a rather long hallway until we came to the front of the house. It was the main entrance that we had come through when we first arrived. Jayden stopped in front of the stairs, and it was almost as if he was debating which way to go first. I didn’t know if I should laugh, or help him. I finally decided on the latter of the two.

“What are you doing,” I asked quietly.

“Trying to decide where to go first,” he answered in a frustrated tone.

“Why don’t we go by floors? This is the first, so I should be shown around here before we head up stairs, don’t you think?”

“Yes, but we could start from the top and work our way down,” he countered.

“I’d rather work my way up,” I laughed. He raised an eyebrow at me, and I suddenly wondered what could have possibly run through that odd mind of his.

“As you wish, Riley,” he half whispered as he headed in the opposite direction from the staff kitchen. I followed quietly taking in what he had to show me.

I followed him into a room that was just for sitting. Jayden had explained that no words had ever been spoken in that room, and I vowed not to break that record. There was an indoor garden, and no, it’s nothing like a green house. This garden didn’t seem to need sunlight because somehow Jayden had created a bright warm light that shown brightly constantly, so the flowers and other herbs were never in need. There was a huge library, and yet another dining room. He explained that the extra dining room had been the one that Callie and Jacob had eaten in earlier.

On the second floor, there were mostly bedrooms. Jayden explained that most of his important guests such as; other Gods, kings and queens, along with some very famous creatures stayed in those rooms. There was an office that he used only when he had too, and there was also yet another very huge library. Think a college basketball stadium and then times that by two, and then you might have a just image of how big the libraries are. I guess that’s all he collected in his four thousand three hundred and eighty seven years.

The third floor contained only three rooms. My room, Callie’s room, and Jayden’s room took up the entire floor. I didn’t get why there were only three rooms, but I didn’t really mind the space either. There was one more floor besides the attic.

“Now if I show you this floor, you have to promise me you will never come up here alone,” Jayden instructed me. I nodded as I followed him up the stairs. The stair way seemed to grow narrower as we climbed higher.

After climbing what seemed like endless amounts of steps we finally reached the flat surface of the forth floor. There was only one room located up there. The door was black with large silver handles, and the name Evelyn hung from the door in a silver metal design.

“This was a very special room,” Jayden stated before he turned away from me. He ran his pale hand across the silver name gently as if he were caressing a lover.

“Can I ask whom,” I started, but quickly realized it was none of my business. Plus I had her diary down stairs.

“She was the first Goddess. Somehow, the other Gods let it slip by that one of them was having an affair with a lowly human. The human bore the child, but died in the process. I was young when she was born; I couldn’t have been but five or six at the time. My father decided to take her in. She was my companion,” Jayden explained in a sad tone. I wondered if he was telling me the truth, but I didn’t push it.

“I’m sorry,” I answered as I placed a gently hand on his shoulder. He shrugged away from my touch before turning to me with eyes as cold as the winter tundra.

“Do not enter this room at any cost. I do not care if your life is at stake you will not go into this room. Am I clear,” he hissed?

“Yes,” I whispered as I turned my back towards him. I could feel something inside me stir. It was like cold electricity was streaming up my spine, but I didn’t let it show. I simply walked down the stairs leaving Jayden in his anger. It was better for him to be alone, and I needed to know more about him anyways.

It was definitely time to do some reading.