Living Dead Girl

10

I was in a bad mood already this morning just because I was tired and Stefan had woken me up. I was so used to sleeping during the day, but forgot that everyone else did the opposite like a normal person would. Then again they were the ones with the daylight rings all this time unlike me. Then there was also the fact that I was getting the best sleep I've gotten since arriving here. Of course Stefan reminded me where we were going and what we were doing it in the first place. I had asked to sleep a bit longer, but he wanted to get it done before it got too late.

As if the day couldn't get any worse, I had tried to check the time on my phone to find out my phone was dead. I got out of bed and pulled my hair back into a messy ponytail since I could care less how I looked. I'm sure I was looking as great as I felt. I slipped on my boots and grabbed my necklace before heading downstairs where Stefan, Elena, and Bonnie were waiting for me. They all three raised a brow at what I was wearing.

"Camille, you are aware that you have blood on your clothes right?" Stefan asked as I shot him a glare before glancing down at my clothing and shrugging.

"I didn't exactly plan on staying here so I didn't bring any clothing. I will head back to Miami this evening and come back in a couple of days."

"I have some clothing you can borrow," Elena offered.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever," I mumbled before heading back upstairs with her. I stood against the doorway to what I assumed to be Stefan's room. She took out a shirt and jeans before tossing them to me. I quickly went to the bathroom and changed so I didn't cause them to wait any longer.

We soon piled into Elena's car. Stefan took the passenger seat while I sat in the back with Bonnie. We were getting ready to leave when Damon came out of the house and opened the back car door. I sent him a glare as he motioned me to scoot over. Guess he forgot about the leave me alone and give me space deal we made last night.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest and stayed where I was seated.

"Joining you guys on your trip. Now move over or I'll make you," he smiled and I rolled my eyes before scooting over to the middle.

"Fantastic! Anyone else plan on going?" I asked sarcastically getting a 'no' from Stefan.

I was thankful when Stefan decided to split us up in order to try to find more information faster. I went with Stefan to the cemeteries around here while Bonnie and Elena went to go through town records and newspapers and Damon was doing whatever to be helpful, that is if he was even doing anything helpful. Damon was supposed to help Bonnie and Elena, but said he would be elsewhere since Stefan didn't allow him to go with us. Bonnie and Elena seemed thankful that he left.

"You and Damon were talking last night," Stefan brought up as we walked along the rows of tombstones in search of any Monroes or Taylors.

"And I assume you were listening?" I frowned a little. I never liked the fact that other vampires could easily eavesdrop in your conversation.

"No, I saw him come out of your room. I'm really amazed that you didn't kill him."

"Yeah, me too. He gave me my necklace, the one John gave me when we met. Did you know he's had it this entire time?" I asked Stefan. He shook his no. Guess Damon kept that a secret from his brother as well. "How about when he asked my father for my hand in marriage?" Stefan seemed quite shocked at this new information as well. I let out a sigh realizing that Stefan didn't hear the conversation at all last night or knew how many secrets Damon must have kept hidden from him. "Guess that's why Father hated him much more than you," I cracked a smile. I quickly gave a brief summary as to what Damon had told me last night. Stefan was just as shocked as I had been once I was done telling him.

"So you finally heard him out and he told you all that?" Stefan questioned as we walked down the last row of tombstones.

"Yeah, though I believe he is still keeping something away from me," I sighed.

"I wouldn't doubt it. He managed to keep the fact that you were even alive from me. I'm always learning something new about my brother."

"I gave him the chance to make it up to me, yet he seems to failing to do so. I asked him to leave me alone and give me space, but no, he had to come with us today." I let out a groan as we came to the last tombstone. I didn't recognize the names on any of them.

"That's Damon for you," Stefan smiled as we went back to Elena's car. Since they weren't going place to place, we decided to take it.

Stefan and I went through another cemetery without finding anyone again. Lucky for me, there had been a guy there who didn't have vervain in him, so I compelled him and had a little snack while Stefan kept watch. I once again didn't break my promise as I compelled the guy one more time before letting him go.

We went to another cemetery that was outside Mystic Falls. Stefan reminded me that even if my family wasn't buried here, they could be somewhere out in the woods or could have left Mystic Falls soon after I did. I could only hope that Bonnie and Elena were having better luck than we were since we haven't heard from them yet. There was still hope that Elijah could even find something out.

We talked about my family as we continued our search. Stefan talked about how Mother used to give him freshly baked cookies when they were over. Mother never saw any harm in the boys and treated them like her own at times. I remembered when she would ask me where they were when she hadn't seen them in awhile. Annabelle and Matthew usually enjoyed their company as well. Father was the only one who didn't like them. At least I knew one of the reasons why after all these years.

I stopped in front of a tombstone with a very familiar name while Stefan continued on since he was so into his story. I knelt down as I let my fingertips trace over the name that was carved into the marble. Tears slid down my cheeks as I read the dates and realized that my dear John had been only twenty-three when I killed him. I let my hand drop to the ground as I stared at the tombstone. I felt a hand on my shoulder and knew it was Stefan. He bent down and brought me into a hug.

"You need to move on from the past, Camille. Look at where it has gotten you," Stefan told me and I bit my lip before agreeing.

I took my necklace out of my pocket before digging a small hole in front of the tombstone. I dropped the necklace into the hole before covering it back up. Stefan helped me up as I stared down at John's grave. My eyes glanced over to the tombstone next to it to see that it was mine. I walked over to stand in front of it as I reread the last name: Monroe. I still had no idea why it was Monroe since I wasn't married yet. I was also a bit surprised to see the date of my death was the same as John's. Of course my body had never been recovered so it was really just an empty grave. It was a grave that would never be filled even after I die. I knelt down in front of it before running my fingers across my name as well. It felt surreal to be standing in front of something in honor of me. I stood up before slamming my fists down on top of the tombstone as I watched it crumble into pieces.

"Here's to a new me," I muttered to Stefan as I took a piece and crumbled it even more in my hand. I then opened my hand to blow the dust particles over John's grave.

We said nothing as we finished searching the cemetery to not find my parents nor siblings graves. We headed back to Mystic Falls and met up with Bonnie and Elena at Mystic Grill. They didn't have any luck at all. It was like my entire family had fallen off the face of the Earth. There were no death records, no birth records, no marriage records, nor a single article about what happened here. Of course I had a feeling that it was hidden away for a reason if any files were still left. I was still a bit disappointed especially since I saw mine and John's tombstones with my own eyes.

I soon left the group to head back to Miami to get my things. It would be much faster for me to just use my vampire speed to get there than to take a car or plane, especially since I could be out in the daylight. I also needed more blood and I planned on having a trail of bodies leading to Miami and back. Stefan had only said to not kill while here in Mystic Falls, so I would be keeping my promise. Outside of Mystic Falls would be a different story.