Status: In Progress

These Eyes Are Blind

Sweet and Cynical

As soon as Frank and Gerard enter the place, there's music playing through the speakers. Frank knows the band hasn't started yet, because Gerard told him what time they'd start. They’ve gotten to the place early so they could get something to eat and drink. The music isn't too loud that they have to scream over each other but it's loud nonetheless. Neither of them is complaining though and they both have pleasant smiles on their faces.

Frank still can't believe this is his life right now. Not only does he have a boyfriend, but they're out on a date too. Frank clutches his cane tight in his hand at the same time Gerard pulls him closer. Frank wants to move away, because he doesn’t like how on display their relationship is, but he forces himself to stay at the hip with Gerard. It's not like he has anything to prove to himself or Gerard, and he shouldn't care about others in the place.

Gerard takes Frank's cane and Frank feels himself starting to panic. Gerard obviously notices because Frank's whole body has gone stiff and he's also no longer moving. Gerard kisses Frank's cheek and rubs his back soothingly.

"Hey, it's fine, Frankie. I just wanted to take off your coat. Is that okay?"

Frank nods quickly and let’s himself relax. Frank knows the reason he overreacted is due to what Blake had done to him, but he's with Gerard so he knows he's being silly. Gerard would never let anything happen to him, and he surely wouldn't take his cane away so that he can't see his way around. Frank doesn't even know why he brought his cane in the first place. Maybe for just in case matters, like having to beat the crap out of someone with it.

"Yeah, that’s okay. I'm sorry."

Gerard slips Frank's coat off and folds it over his arm. He then gives Frank back his cane and hugs him.

"I don't know what's up, but you're fine, okay?"

"Yes," Frank says.

"You're with me and I'd never hurt you."

"Yeah, I know," Frank sighs into the hug, "Sorry about that."

"It's understandable. Let's get a table and some food before the show starts, yeah?"

"Lead the way, comic boy."

Gerard smiles because he will never get tired of Frank calling him that. They could be old and grey and he'd still want to hear those words from Frank's mouth. Gerard guides Frank through the small sea of people until he finds an empty table at the back of the place, in an almost secluded area. It couldn't be more perfect.

"We can sit here, eat, and then go listen to the show. Or we can stay at the table and just listen. It's really up to you."

"We'll see how I feel after I stuff my face."

Gerard laughs and nods, "That's fine."

Frank collapses his cane and sets it in his lap. Gerard smiles at him for what feels like the thousandth time. Actually, Gerard has barely stopped smiling since he met Frank, and even just looking at him, watching him do things makes Gerard smile for no reason. You could say the reason is that Gerard just really adores Frank.

"So what do you want Frankie?"

Frank shrugs and scratches at his head for a moment. "I'll take fries since I'm sure a place like this doesn't have pizza."

"Don't you ever get tired of pizza?"

Frank looks in Gerard's direction, following his voice, because he can't see his hair in the horrible lighting, and raises a brow at him. "No, but I can get tired of you if you tell me that I should be tired of it."

Gerard chuckles and raises his hands in surrender despite Frank not being able to see him. "I won't, I won't."

"Good," Frank smiles.

"Anything to drink?"

"Coke!" Frank realizes how enthusiastic he was about his answer. "That's just another thing I'm really passionate about."

"Hey, no, that's fine. It's endearing."

Frank puts his chin in his hand on the table. "Is everything I do endearing to you?" Frank asks with a playful smirk on his face.

"You could say that," Gerard smiles at Frank. Frank chuckles and then sighs, looking around to try and catch some kind of lighting but coming up short.

"It would be better if this place had better lighting. I mean, I'm sure it's great lighting, but not to a blind kid who wants to see his boyfriend's bright red hair."

“I’m sorry,” Gerard says. “I should invest in some sort of spotlight that follows me around wherever I go.”

“I don’t think the technology has been invented quiet yet for that,” Frank replies.

Gerard just shrugs, “You hungry now? I could go place our order.”

“Uh yeah, sure,” He says. He stops himself from asking Gerard to be quick, because he knows it’ll make him sound too clingy. He doesn’t want that. Really, he just doesn’t want to be left alone in a place that’s kind of crowded when he can’t even see.

“Okay,” Gerard says, and Frank can hear the small sound of a chair scraping against the floor. “Be back soon. You sit there and look pretty.”

“I’d planned on it.”

Frank sighs when he knows Gerard is gone. He kind of feels like he misses him a little bit, which is ridiculous because he’s only been gone a few seconds, and he’s not going to be more than a few minutes. Frank knows he’s got it really bad for Gerard, just by that feeling. It’s kind of annoying in an also kind of pleasant way. He’s never been close enough to anyone to feel that way, and it’s so foreign, Frank’s not used to it yet, but he also feels overly familiar with the feeling for some reason.

Maybe it’s because it’s Gerard. If it were someone else, and Frank almost gags at the idea of being with someone else, he wouldn’t be so at peace with feeling the way he does. He can’t fathom ever letting anyone call him their boyfriend that isn’t Gerard. That just doesn’t sound in anyway right. It feels wrong just to think about it. Gerard is Gerard, and Frank likes the way he is, even if Gerard is somewhat over the top sometimes. Frank likes that about him.

He feels really familiar. Like Frank’s known him for years. It’s been about a month, but it feels more like a year. Maybe that’s just the way Gerard is. Maybe everyone is overly comfortable with him. Or maybe Frank’s special. He hopes it’s the latter.

“Look who it is!” someone says and Frank groans. Of course. Maybe this is just his luck.

“Frankie, what’re you doing here?” someone else asks, and Frank knows who that voice belongs to. He knows who both of those people are, and he can’t believe his luck. He finally agrees to Gerard being his boyfriend and Mikey and Brendon just have to be there to tease him to no end about it. Except they’re right as of now.

All the times they’ve made fun of Frank for dating Gerard, calling him his boyfriend, they’re now true. As of today, he’s actually dating Gerard. And Mikey’s asked him a million times if he’s kissed Gerard, and now he actually has.

“What are you two doing here?” Frank asks.

“We’re here for the same reasons you are. Well, minus the whole making out with Gerard thing,” Brendon says.

“Yeah, there’s definitely not going to be any of that,” Mikey says.

“I’m not going to make out with Gerard!” Frank says, “How do you know I’m even here with Gerard?”

“Because you are.”

“But you can’t know that.”

“Yes we can. You’re here with Gerard,” Brendon says.

“But maybe I’m not,” Frank says.

“Nope,” Mikey says, “he’s here. I can sense it.”

“His spidey senses are tingling.”

“Gross,” Mikey says.

“Where is he?” Brendon asks.

Frank decides that it’s not worth lying, because he’s going to be proven wrong any second now anyway. “He’s getting us food.”

“You going to make out when he comes back?” Mikey asks.

“No,” Frank says. Maybe he can lie about some things. Like the fact that he got his first kiss only a few hours ago. And the fact that his first kiss was with Mikey’s brother. And that Gerard’s a really good kisser. And that Frank gets a little tingly when Gerard so much as touches him. He can just leave those things out of the conversation.

“Mind if I sit?”

“Yes, actually, I’d rather you didn’t,” Frank says. He can already tell it’s too late because Mikey’s sitting down.

“Frank I- oh,” Gerard’s voice hits Frank’s ears and he can tell that Gerard’s seen Mikey, and has had a similar response to him as Frank had had. Frank doesn’t dislike Mikey, he honestly doesn’t, but he wants him to go the fuck away right now. He wants Brendon and Mikey to be murdered just for right now, because, Frank really wants to be alone with Gerard and he doesn’t exactly get that if they’re right there.

"I believe you're in Gerard's seat. If you could just..." Frank does a shooing motion with his hand and Gerard laughs.

Brendon covers his mouth to stop from laughing and Mikey just smiles.

"You just want to be alone with Gerard."

"If I do you sure are doing a great job at preventing that now, aren't you?" Frank folds his arms across his chest.

Mikey laughs and shakes his head. "Look man, it's okay. You're allowed to just say it you know." Mikey smirks as Frank sighs because he knows he's close to getting Frank to admit something about their relationship for once.

Frank's so annoyed with Mikey right now he considers pulling out his cane and whacking Mikey's foot until it falls off. Frank has a deep scowl on his face and it just makes Gerard smile at him even more.

"Frankie doesn't have to admit anything to you guys if he doesn't want to. That's probably not even the case," Gerard says that last sentence knowingly and he can tell by the way Frank's face reddens that he noticed.

Frank shakes off the feeling of him wanting Gerard on him now. "Yeah, but it is the case." Frank's voice is barely there when he says that but all of the guys smile at each other, telling them that they all heard. "So if you all could just..." Frank shoos them again and they all laugh. Frank doesn’t appreciate being laughed at.

"Hey, you got it man," Mikey scoots his chair back and stands up. "Have fun, bro."

“Make sure you keep him in one piece,” Brendon says, winking at Gerard creepily, and Frank aims his middle finger in the direction that Brendon’s voice is in.

“I didn’t even kind of fool them did I?” Frank asks.

“Oh, you’re cute,” Gerard says, which isn’t really an answer, but Frank pretty much knows what he means anyway.

“Did you order our food?”

“Yep. It’ll be out soon.”

“Are they still there?” Frank asks, “Are they watching us?”

“Nope,” Gerard says, “does that mean I can kiss you?”

“Yeah, just make sure they’re not there first.”

“I need binoculars just to kiss my boyfriend.”

“But I’m worth it and there’s no way you’re going to deny that,” Frank smiles. Gerard sits down in the seat next to him, pulling it closer to Frank, and grinning back at Frank sheepishly. He can’t help but act like Frank can see him whenever they’re together. Sometimes he’s glad that Frank can’t, because Gerard’s always smiling like a fool.

“Gonna kiss you now,” Gerard announces. He usually lives up to his promises, and this time is no different. Well, it’s a little different. Because this time someone shouts ecstatically behind them, and Frank’s honestly not even surprised. He knew it was going to come out eventually. He’s not good at lying apparently.

“I fucking told you, Mikey!” Brendon is shouting.

“I hate you, Frank!” Mikey is saying, “You couldn’t have waited, like, three more days?”

“What?” Frank asks, because now he’s confused. He’s pretty sure Mikey wanted them together more than Frank wanted them together, and Frank really wanted him and Gerard together.

Gerard is pulling away from Frank, so Frank is most definitely going to hit one or both of them with his cane. Repeatedly.

“I swear I didn’t see them,” Gerard says, “they went away! Like, they did! I watched!”

“Mikey, I believe you owe me twenty bucks,” Brendon says.

“What?” Frank asks, “You bet on us?”

“Duh,” Brendon says, happily.

“Just three more days and that money would’ve been mine,” Mikey grumbles.

“Wait, what was your bet?” Frank asks.

“Twenty bucks said you would get together before this Monday,” Brendon says, “and the money is mine!”

“Frank, are you going to try to tell us that that wasn’t a kiss?” Mikey asks. “Or that you’re not dating, you just like making out?”

“I- uh,” Frank starts but then he frowns. He doesn’t want to insult Gerard by denying anything, because he really likes Gerard and he doesn’t want him to get the idea that Frank is in anyway ashamed of liking or dating him. That’s not at all how Frank feels, so he doesn’t want Gerard to get that misconception.

Frank can actually picture Gerard looking at him hopefully. He doesn’t know what the guy looks like so his image of him is mostly just a blob with red hair, but he knows that Gerard’s probably looking at him with so much hope. He’s probably hoping Frank gives him the permission to rub it in the two guys’ faces that Frank’s his boyfriend. Frank can picture that too and it’s extremely adorable.

“No,” Frank says, “Gerard is my boyfriend.”

“Hand over my money, Way,” Brendon says, and Mikey groans.

Mikey says, “I’m happy for you and all, because Gerard looks like Christmas came early, and Frank, you look like you’re trying to pretend that you don’t feel like Christmas came early, but seriously, fuck both of you. You just needed to drag it out for a few more days, but you couldn’t do that much, and I’ll never forgive you for that.”

"How about you will forgive me and I'll pretend you didn't place some bet on the blind guy and his fire truck head boyfriend? Or else I'll whoop you with my cane."

Gerard raises his brows high in the air and giggles at the two boys. Brendon looks incredibly gleeful, while Mikey’s got a mix between annoyance and relief.

"You probably should forgive him, Mikes," Brendon says and Mikey shrugs.

"I guess so. Congrats assholes."

"Fuck you, Mikey," Frank retaliates and Gerard has to laugh.

"That's more Gerard's job don't you think?" Mikey smirks and walks off before Frank can even try to get him back for that. He will though. He will definitely get Mikey back.

Brendon just laughs and heads in the same direction as Mikey. When they're gone for sure Gerard looks at Frank and smiles. Gerard takes Frank's hand in his and intertwines their fingers.

"You know that just made me really happy. Saying I'm your boyfriend and everything. I wasn't expecting that. It's a nice feeling being able to hear you admit that to others," Gerard ducks his head on Frank's shoulder. Frank's a little surprised but he just stays there and smiles.

"I'm glad you're happy. Don't think I'll be shouting it from the rooftops anytime soon though."

"Trust me, I don't think that. Just... thank you."

"You don't ever have to thank me for that. I should thank you for even taking an interest in me in the first place," Frank says.

"Oh, come on, Frankie. Don't say that. It doesn't sit well with me when you talk like that."

"Talk like what?"

"Like you're not likable or lovable because you're blind. Anyone who can't see what an amazing person you are is the blind one, okay? Not you. You can see with so much more than they can and you can feel with your hands but most of all with your heart. I can feel for you and I do. Don't ever thank me for being able to see the beauty in you."

Frank turns to Gerard and Gerard takes that as a chance to really kiss Frank this time. There's no one there to interrupt them and Frank loves it almost more than Gerard does. Frank puts his hand at the nape of Gerard's neck and plays with the little bit of hair there, as he deepens the kiss. Frank feels the vibration of Gerard's moan on his lips and for once he's upset that the music is so loud. Frank's a little aware that they're out in the open so he pulls back a little.

They're foreheads are still together and they're panting on each other's lips. Frank's hands fall slowly from Gerard's neck and Gerard loosens his grip on Frank's waist. "I think the food should be finished soon. We should... you know." Frank doesn't really want Gerard to let go of him but it has to be done at some point.

“I think we’ve got a couple of minutes,” Gerard says.

“Are people looking at us?” Frank asks.

“Well they’re probably just jealous of how attractive my boyfriend is.”

“So people are looking at us.”

“Fuck them,” Gerard replies.

“I’d rather you didn’t.”

“You’re so fucking adorable.”

“I’m not aiming for adorable, Gerard! I’ve told you this already.”

“Frank, you behave adorably, and look hot. Perfect mix if you ask me,” Gerard says.

“I’m hungry. Our food is probably done,” Frank says.

“You trying to get rid of me so that you don’t have to agree that you’re adorable?” Gerard asks. Somehow he’s able to read Frank’s mind and it’s getting ridiculous how good he is at it.

“Maybe. But I am hungry. That’s not a joke,” Frank says, “All I had for lunch was a sandwich and it wasn’t a very good sandwich either, so I’m really hungry. I’ll kiss you if you go get our food.”

“Oh so you’re bribing me now, are you?”

“Yep. Anything to get food,” Frank says.

“That’s all I am to you? A walking wallet?” Gerard asks, jokingly.

“Absolutely,” Frank says. “But I imagine you’re a very pretty walking wallet.”

“That’s kind of you to say.”

“You also make a fairly successful radio. You never seem to stop singing, but I kind of like that too.”

“Well to me you’re very sweet and sarcastic, extremely cynical, but in a good way, a way that’s really very specific to you and only you. And you’re a superhero but you haven’t realized it yet.”

“Gerard, you can’t say something really nice and heartfelt while I’m in the middle of joking about how I see you as a talking wallet! It makes me seem insensitive.”

Gerard shrugs, “I’m sorry, I didn’t get the memo. It’s true though.”

“You were going to get us our food,” Frank reminds him.

“Yeah, be back in a second,” Gerard says, kissing Frank’s cheek before he goes. Frank blushes a little bit, feeling eyes on him that he can’t see. Also, the part of his face where Gerard’s lips were now feels really warm like he set the skin on fire, but not in a bad way. It's just that Gerard leaves Frank feeling like that after almost every touch. Frank can't fathom how he's able to do that either. Even the simplest touch turns into hot coal when it's from Gerard. Or maybe it's Frank that turns hot. Who really cares, right? The point is that they make each other feel things they've never felt before.

Frank shifts uncomfortably in his seat and looks around the dimly lit room. It's almost as if he can literally feel their eyes on him. It should be against the law to sit and stare at people, and for a second Frank's glad he can't see so he's not one of those people. Frank grasps his cane in his hand just in case, and then he sighs. He wants Gerard back here now.

It’s as if Frank's wishing is enough because moments later he hears a bit of clattering, and he feels like someone is standing over him. That someone is also looking at him and Frank doesn't mind one bit. Frank hears him sigh and automatically he stiffens up. He's just waiting for something to go wrong and this has to be it, right?

"What is it?" Frank asks.

"I forgot to ask you if you wanted anything for your fries."

"That's it?"

"Yes..."

"Goodness Gerard. It's fine okay! Now who's the adorable one?" Frank says.

Gerard blushes and mumbles about not being adorable at all to himself, and if Frank heard him he decides not to argue at this moment about it. His fries are calling his name.

"Isn't there salt on the table?"

"Yeah, oddly enough."

"So sit down. I don’t need anything else,” Frank says, like it’s obvious. Gerard nods, and then remembers for the umpteenth time that Frank can’t see it so he makes a noise and then takes his seat next to Frank again.

Gerard’s feeling really nervous around him all of a sudden, and he’s not sure what the source of that is. It’s probably just because he feels awkward with the fact that Frank is terribly out of his league. It’s almost not even fair to Frank that he has to settle with someone who doesn’t even compare to him on a scale.

“You know, like, you can have some,” Frank says, “I mean, you paid for them, I’m not going to monopolize the food.”

“What? Oh, right yeah, sorry. I was just thinking.”

“Thinking about what?”

“Nothing.”

“Gerard,” Frank says expectantly.

“Fine, alright. I get it, it’s not a real answer. I was just thinking that, you’re, like, I don’t know, way too good for me.”

“Ugh, seriously?” Frank asks, stopping eating for a moment to look in Gerard’s direction, “I mean, I can’t see, so like, I’m not really the best judge at this am I? I don’t know what the hell you look like, and that kind of kills me a little bit, because I really want to know, but I don’t get to choose this sort of thing. One thing I do know is that I’m pretty good at figuring out whether a person is attractive, because they’re treated nicer. I know that’s not really an answer, but it is, in a way. Pretty people are treated subtly more different than otherwise. The way you interact with people, Gerard, makes me believe that you must be good looking.”

“That’s really just a theory,” Gerard says.

“It’s more of a science,” Frank says, “I’m almost sure of it. And why should it matter what you look like, Gerard? You could look like Bigfoot and I won’t ever know. I’m relatively impartial about what other people look like. I couldn’t care less.”

“I know, and I try not to, but, I do care. I can’t help it.”

“Well yeah, you can’t really help it, can you? Sighted people always care. I’m not saying that’s bad, because that’s just the way people are. But it’s not really like my opinion matters, because it’s your self-image, not mine, but, like, I don’t care. I like your hair. I bet it looks better than I imagine it does.”

“You might not want to hear this, because I know how much you like being cynical, but you’re actually really sweet, Frank,” Gerard says.

“Uh oh,” Frank responds, “My cover’s been blown. You talk too much, and you put way too much sugar in your coffee. It’s gross.”

Gerard grins at Frank, who’s gone back to munching on the fries in front of him. Gerard honestly really loves the way Frank says things like that. Even though he’s technically insulting Gerard, it doesn’t come across that way. It just comes across as Frank.

“I bet Brendon’s already texted Pete and Patrick,” Frank says.

“Yeah, probably.”

“They’re going to give me so much shit on Monday,” Frank shakes his head. “Well, I guess it’s a good thing that they’ll be teasing me about you then. Because if it were someone else, they wouldn’t be as great a person, so you’re easier to defend.”

Gerard blushes, and he’s glad that the room around them isn’t very bright, and for the fact that Frank can’t see him. Gerard did not think when he saw Frank in the food court a month ago that the guy would end up making him blush. He didn’t think he’d end up reading several issues of Daredevil to him either. Frank’s really upended his entire life, and it’s one of the best things that’s ever happened to him.

“You’re blushing, aren’t you?” Frank asks.

“What?”

“Well, you said I make you feel the same way that you make me feel. So you’re blushing, and that’s why you didn’t reply.”

“You may not be able to see, but you sure as hell are good at reading people,” Gerard says.

"Why thank you, Gee," Frank smiles and it lights up Gerard's world. Gerard smiles back and reaches for a fry. "I really do wish I could see you though."

"I know, Frankie. I kind of wish you could to so you can see how you make me feel."

"I can feel how I make you feel. I told you, I feel hot when you touch me," Frank shrugs and munches on a fry.

“At least you’ll be able to see me someday,” Gerard sighs, and Frank doesn’t argue, because he doesn’t want to have to hit Gerard with the unlikelihood of that reality. For now, he’ll let Gerard get his hopes up, because his heart isn’t big enough to bear hurting someone he likes so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?