Status: In Progress

These Eyes Are Blind

Happiness

Gerard lays in bed looking down at his sleeping boyfriend. He didn't have to work this morning so he decided to stay over with Frank. They talked until one in the morning when Frank passed out cuddled into Gerard's chest. He's still lying that way and Gerard doesn't want that to end. He could stay this way forever.

These past months he's spent with Frank have been the best months of his life. He thinks back to all the times he thought he was happy and realizes now that that was never really the case. He was always content with where he was or who he was dating, but never happy. He knows that now, because Frank has shown him just what happiness is, and he's still continuing to do that. Gerard can honestly say he's never felt the way he does when he's with Frank with anyone in the past.

After dating someone for a while you get used to them, and you just start to take your time with them for granted, but that hasn't happened between them. Gerard still gets butterflies when he sees Frank. He still spends every waking moment thinking about him and when he sleeps it's usually Frank who occupies his dreams. He's never wanted to be around someone every second of the day before in his life. He doesn't think he'll ever stop feeling that way about Frank either.

Gerard knows Frank feels the same way too. He can tell by the way Frank smiles at him. It also helps that Frank clings to him most of the time that they're together and that makes Gerard happy. When Gerard has to leave, Frank always looks like he's losing his best friend and that makes Gerard feel very special. He can feel the love that Frank has for him radiating off of him, and it's something he adores.

Gerard knows what happiness is because of Frank. Happiness is smiling even though things aren't always what they should be. Happiness is waking up with your arms around your perfect boyfriend and never being tired of watching him sleep. Happiness is having nothing at all to do and still being able to laugh with the person you're with. Happiness is having nothing to say, but still hearing everything the person you love wants to say with your heart.

Happiness is Frank and Gerard.

That's why today Gerard has decided that when Frank wakes he's going to ask him if he can he take Frank to meet his parents. It's long overdue and he thinks they should know the source of his happiness. They can have lunch with them and talk about any and everything. Gerard can see it now and yet it hurts his heart that Frank can't. Still that doesn't mean he's not going to make Frank feel it.

Frank stirs a little and he's aware that it's morning or sometime around it. He can feel the warmth of a body next to him and he smiles. He knows it’s his amazing comic boy that's holding him securely in his arms. Frank lifts his head from Gerard's chest and yawns adorably. Like a puppy.

"Morning sleepyhead."

Frank smiles and pushes his head back into Gerard's chest. He mumbles into it and Gerard laughs.

"I can't understand you baby boy."

Frank grunts and pulls his head back a little.

"I said, 'morning lover'."

Gerard smiles and kisses Frank's forehead.

"How long have you been watching me sleep?" Frank asks. It's become a normal thing for Gerard to wake up earlier than Frank whenever they nap or when he stays over and watch him sleep.

"I'd say about half an hour."

"Don't you ever get tired of watching me?"

"You shouldn't be so insensitive to what you just said. Of course I don't. You don't have the luxury of watching me sleep and if that luxury was ever taken away from me I don't know what I would do. I would watch you sleep for the rest of my life, because you're beautiful."

“You’re probably right,” Frank says, yawning slowly, “I am beautiful.”

“So I had an idea,” Gerard says.

“And what idea is that?” Frank asks him.

“You’ve never met my parents.”

Frank’s not sure how he’s supposed to react to that, because it’s true. He’s not good around adults most of the time, so he likes to avoid them. Really, he’s not good around anyone of any age, he’s not bad with children, but that’s because they’re easy. Adults are harder to please. They judge more, and it’s harder to know precisely how to deal with them. Frank would rather just pretend they don’t exist and carry on throughout his day without having to worry about people who have the power to control his life.

“Yeah?”

“I think you should meet them. Well, actually, if we’re being frank-”

“Very funny,” Frank says, shaking his head, too groggy from sleep to have to deal with Gerard making bad jokes.

“Thank you, but honestly, I think I want them to meet you, not the other way around.”

“Well they kind of go hand in hand,” Frank says.

“You know what I mean.”

“Why would they care about meeting me?” Frank asks. “I mean my mom loves you, but I think that’s mostly because you’re the only person who’s ever made an effort.”

“Not really,” Gerard says, “Your friends, excuse me, not friends, have made an effort, I’m just the only one who wants to stick a tongue in your mouth.”

“It sounds kind of crude when you put it that way.”

“I just think you should meet them,” Gerard says.

Frank shrugs, “Well they can’t be too bad if they raised you. But then again, there’s always the fact that Mikey exists, so they can still be bad.”

“I don’t even know how we’re related, I got all the good genes, and he got whatever the hell it is that he got.”

“Is Mikey the pretty one?”

“I’ll have you know, I’m exceptionally pretty,” Gerard says.

“Sure you are,” Frank says, grinning. Now, Frank has no real idea what the two of them look like. He did manage to convince Mikey to let him feel his face once, and Frank would never admit it, but his face feels very similar to Gerard’s, that can be chalked up to the fact that they are brothers, but there’s no real way for him to tell who’s the attractive brother. Frank likes to think it’s Gerard, but he has no real clue.

“Should you really be dissing me?” Gerard asks. “I mean, I’m the one who holds the power to read Daredevil to you.”

“You’ve got me there,” Frank says. “No one else I know could manage to make a fifteen page comic last an hour and a half.”

“Okay, it’s because you’re always interrupting me, and because I have to describe what’s on each page. I thought you liked-”

“You know I’m joking, right?”

“Yeah, sorry,” Gerard says, and he feels Frank start to move around, but he doesn’t want him to go anywhere, Frank provides the perfect amount of body heat, and despite the fact that he is mostly a lump, he’s fairly good at cuddling. But he’s always the little spoon, and this is actually okay with Gerard.

“We don’t have to get up do we?” Frank asks.

“Eventually, yes.”

“I don’t wanna,” Frank mumbles, “I’m gonna stay here forever.”

“I don’t think that would really work,” Gerard says. “I mean, I have to go to work eventually, and you have school, and there’s the whole business of eating, and bathroom breaks, and what not.”

“Don’t ruin my dream with your logic!” Frank says. “But about your parents, how much do they know about me?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, do they know that I’m, like, visually fucked?”

“They don’t,” Gerard says, “It never seemed like important information to tell them. But maybe refrain from using that term.”

“Are you saying parents don’t like the term visually fucked? I’m going to have to rethink my entire vocabulary.”

"They're a little like your mother when it comes to cursing. You can get away with a curse word or two, but they won't allow you to have it consume your whole vocabulary in front of them."

Frank laughs and stretches. "Well maybe I should just keep my mouth shut."

Gerard shakes his head and puts it into Frank's neck.

"I don't ever want you to do that."

"It sounds like that's for your own personal pleasure."

"It sounds like you do need to close your mouth."

Gerard lifts his head and covers Frank's lips with his. It's a sweet good morning kiss with no tongue, because Frank doesn't go for that without teeth brushing before.

"Mmm, I love waking up to you."

"Me too baby," Gerard lays his head back in the crook of Frank's neck.

"I can't believe you didn't tell them that I'm visually fucked."

"Are we still on that?"

"We were never off it. We just kind of took a break from talking about it. Like a commercial break. Now that it's over we can get back to our regularly scheduled program. How could you not tell them?"

"I told you, it's not an important factor. They won't think it is either."

"I think it's very important that I can't see."

"You know what I mean, Frankie. It doesn't define who you are so I don't need to tell them about it when speaking about you. They'll know when they see you."

“God, they’re gonna be like you!” Frank says, laughing, “You remember. God, you had no idea. You thought I was a cynical prick who hated art and you had no idea.”

“Okay, you were indeed being a prick, but I think they’ll figure it out quicker than I did. I’m still kind of not over you tricking me like that, you know.”

“It was funny,” Frank says, grinning. “You were so clueless. I couldn’t believe you were that oblivious. I mean, hello, it was kind of obvious.”

“I wasn’t expecting it though!” Gerard says, “Ugh, fine. It was funny, whatever.”

“It was,” Frank shrugs, “but fine. They don’t know, what else have you not told them about me? Do they know about my obscenely good looks, and fantastic kissing skills?”

“Maybe we can leave that second part out, but I think I’ve made it pretty clear to them, and everyone else I know that I think you’re gorgeous.”

“Oh so you’ll tell them I’m a stud muffin, but when it comes to the eyesight you’re all quiet?”

“Did you just say stud muffin?”

“Well, yes.”

Gerard says, “The fact that you’re gorgeous seems more important to me. I mean, I’d still like you if you weren’t but it sure is an added benefit.”

Frank shakes his head, “you’re so, gah.”

“I don’t know what that means,” Gerard says, and he frowns as Frank starts to pull himself out of bed. He tries to latch onto Frank to keep him there, but it doesn’t work, so he finds himself in the cold space where Frank was a minute ago, with a frown on his face.

“What does one wear when meeting his boyfriend’s parents?” Frank asks, and Gerard knows he’s going to have to get up to help Frank pick something out. It’s not as hard to convince himself to move now that Frank’s no longer there.

“Nothing overly fancy,” Gerard shrugs. “Just clean. Hell, as long as it’s clean, you’ll already be dressed better than me.”

“That’s because I like to look like I’m not a homeless person.”

“I don’t look like a homeless person!”

“Again, I’m joking,” Frank says, “wow, your joke detecting skills are very muffled in the morning aren’t they?”

“Sorry,” Gerard shrugs, and he starts looking through Frank’s drawer to find the least objectionable outfit. He grabs a pair of plain black jeans, and the first shirt he finds and hands them both to Frank.

“I gotta shower,” Frank says, “do you need to shower?”

“Probably,” Gerard says, “but I’m not growing mold, so it can wait.”

“That’s the most unattractive thing you could think to say, isn’t it?” Frank asks, “Just go shower, I’ll go eat breakfast.”

“You sure?” he asks.

“Yeah, I’ll go after you,” Frank says, “I’m starving anyway.”

Gerard smiles and opens Frank's door. "Okay. See you in a bit."

Frank walks out the room, knowing his house perfectly well now, and waves Gerard off. "Yeah yeah."

He moves down the hallway and into the kitchen. He hears his mom moving about before he even enters.

"Morning."

"Morning mom."

"Want some breakfast? I'm making cereal. I can whip you up a bowl."

"I really don't care at this point. I'm just hungry."

"I think you care. You wouldn't want me serving you a lion would you?"

"Mother..."

"Right," she laughs and pulls down a bowl for Frank. "So what are you boys getting up to today?"

"He's taking me to meet his parents."

"Whoa! Big step, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Frank listens to the clattering of the spoons hitting the bowls and tries not to think of how afraid he is to meet them.

He doesn't know what to expect from them, but their children aren't judgmental, so they have to be good people, right? Besides, Frank trusts Gerard enough not to put him in a situation where he receives hate or ignorance for his lack of vision.

Frank’s still nervous though. He’s never met a boyfriends parents. He’s never had a boyfriend, so he’s never had to meet their parents. Honestly, Frank hasn’t even been around someone’s parents that aren’t his own in a really long time. Probably since around the time he went blind. It’s been a really long time. He’s never really had any friends though, so he never had to meet a friends parents. Frank’s all wound up over this. He doesn’t know what they’ll be like.

Still, Gerard and Mikey are pretty great so they can’t be too bad. They know about him dating Gerard, which means they know Gerard’s gay, so he won’t have to deal with any issue there, hopefully, but what’ll they think when Gerard brings him home and he can’t even see? How do parents feel if their kid is dating a blind guy?

“They’ll love you, you know,” his mom says, and Frank wonders if she was reading his mind.

“How do you know?”

“Because I raised you well, and I know you’re good.”

“Yeah, but I can’t see! Would you want your son to date a blind guy?” Frank asks.

“Why would there be a problem in that?” she asks.

“Well, there’s a lot of problems that they might find in that. I’m kind of a lug, I can’t do much, I’m pretty codependent on other people, I can barely do anything right by myself, and I’m a really annoying and needy bastard.”

“You’re only a few of those things,” she jokes, setting a bowl down in front of Frank, and putting the spoon right beside it. Frank’s still not a fan of cereal, but he really is hungry, so he’s not going to bitch about it.

“Which ones?” Frank asks with a huff. He hears the sound of the shower starting and sighs, because thinking about Gerard only makes him realize again the inevitability that he’s got to meet the guys parents. Really, he knew that this was coming, it had to happen eventually. He shouldn’t be this nervous, but he is.

“Frank, Gerard had to meet me, and he probably was just as anxious about it, but he did it. You can do it too,” she says.

“It’s different.”

“Yeah, it is different. I’m ten times harder to please than any other parent.”

“You haven’t met them though, what if they’re worse?” Frank asks.

“Trust me, I’m a lot harder to please.”

Frank knows she’s probably right. She has more to be worried about. It’s a hell of a lot easier for Gerard to take advantage of him than for him to take advantage of Gerard. It’s easier to worry about someone mistreating the blind guy than it is to worry about the blind guy mistreating someone else. It has to do with the distribution and balance of power. Frank has less power to control, and Gerard has much more. Really, Frank’s mother does have a lot more to worry about, but Frank is still really nervous anyway.

He eats his breakfast mostly in quiet. He’s trying to make it last as long as he can bear it to prolong what’s going to happen today. Eventually he hears the water shut off, and Frank’s cereal is starting to get soggy, so he’s going to have to finish up soon.

Frank is busy spinning around the soggy cereal in the bowl when he hears Gerard’s footsteps coming down the hall behind him. He doesn’t bother turning around, he wouldn’t see him anyway.

“Good morning, Ms. Iero,” Gerard says as he steps into the kitchen.

“Morning, Gerard,” she smiles back.

Gerard gives him a backward hug and kisses his cheek, while Frank notes, “You smell like me.”

“I know, I used your shampoo,” he says.

“It’s weird,” Frank says, “you smell like me, so you’re like half me right now.”

“That makes sense?” Gerard says, his voice saying the exact opposite of his words.

“Well, I’ve only got three things to go by,” Frank says, “What you sound like, what you feel like, and what you smell like. You smell like me, so now you’re like half me.”

“That would be a third,” Gerard says.

“You know what I mean.”

“I’m a third you,” Gerard repeats.

“That’s more than usual,” Frank shrugs. He smells okay, Frank supposes, but he likes the way that Gerard smells when he smells like himself better.

Frank drops his spoon into the bowl and sighs. "I'm going to go shower now."

"Hey, are you okay?" Gerard asks a little worried.

"Dandy."

Frank pushes his chair back and leaves the room leaving Gerard staring after him.

"Did I do something?" Gerard asks.

"He's just worried about meeting your parents," she shrugs and Gerard nods understandingly.

"They won't mind," Gerard says, confidently.

"I know they won't," she says, knowing exactly what Gerard's referring to. "Would you like some cereal?"

"Yes, please."

She goes over to the table and takes the bowl her son discarded moments before and empties it. She doesn't see a reason to dirty up more dishes so she washes the bowl and spoon and grabs the cereal. She sits it on the table and slides the milk over to Gerard.

"Thank you, Ms. I."

"Of course, honey," she smiles at him for a moment before it fades. "Could you do me a favor?"

"Anything."

"Continue loving him."

Gerard knows she doesn't even have to ask him that, because he's going to love Frank for the rest of his life. There are just some things you are certain of and that's one of them for Gerard.

"I'm going to get some cleaning done before I head out. Enjoy showing my boy off."

"I definitely will,” Gerard says. He likes the idea of showing Frank off, because he knows that that is precisely what he’ll be doing. He wants to show Frank off in a museum. Frank deserves it. He’s a masterpiece that’s honestly more gorgeous than anything anyone could ever paint, or draw, or even imagine. That’s how Gerard sees him anyway.

Gerard hums quietly to himself, looking around the kitchen impishly. It’s small, and there’s still some unpacking to be done even now, after a few months, but it’s nice.

Gerard thinks that he’s at least on fairly good terms with Frank’s mom, and that’s what he hopes for vice versa. It’s harder for Frank, he knows that. Gerard may have had more pressure on him, but Frank’s troubles don’t really equate to what Gerard could ever think of going through. He doesn’t pity Frank, he knows that Frank would kill him if he so much as thought Gerard might pity him, but he still knows that Frank’s life is not easy. Gerard’s only hope is to make it that much easier, or at least a little more enjoyable.

Gerard finishes his cereal quickly, and, seeing as Ms. Iero’s off in the living room, he cleans the bowl himself, putting it away at almost the same time Frank comes back out, fully dressed, hair still wet and minutely dripping down into the collar of his shirt.

“How do I look?” Frank asks sounding unenthusiastic.

“Perfect,” Gerard says, “I wouldn’t change a thing.”

“Great,” Frank says, “let’s do this.”

“You’re ready to go then?” he asks.

“I guess so,” Frank shrugs. “As ready as I’ll ever be. Can I drive?”

“Um, I’m thinking not,” Gerard says, laughing.

“What, you don’t want me driving?” Frank asks with a wide grin.

“I think that might not be a great idea, that’s all,” Gerard says.

“Fine, suit yourself,” Frank shrugs, and he allows Gerard to walk in front of him. He says a hurried goodbye to his mother before their out the door, which, honestly, makes everything seem more real.

He has to face it now, he’s meeting Gerard’s parents. When he was in the comfort of his own home, that wasn’t as much of a worry, because it had felt miles off. It wouldn’t happen for a really long time. Now though, he has to actually accept that he’s going to actually meet them. It’s harder to kid himself into thinking that’s far off, because now they’re on the move.

Frank vacantly sits down when Gerard gets the door for him. He’s not entirely there. He’s nervous, and scared, and his brain is on vacation, which is really inconvenient because he could really use it right now.

It’s too late to pretend to be sick. Frank can’t turn back now without offending Gerard and making himself feel guilty. It’s now or never, so he just has to grit his teeth and charge.

He lets Gerard buckle him up, like he always does, but not because it's routine, but because he can't move. He's scared stiff, literally, and he hopes Gerard can't tell. The way Gerard's lingering over him lets Frank know that he's definitely in tune with how he's feeling.

"If you don't want to go we can go back inside," Gerard says.

"Don't be ridiculous," Frank chuckles nervously. "I can't show off my boyish good looks from home can I?"

Gerard smiles sadly.

"Look, you don't have to try and fool me. I know you're afraid."

"Really, Gee... you talk too much," Frank tries to steady his breathing. "Let's get going."

Gerard kisses Frank's cheek and backs up. He starts the car, turns on his music, and puts on his seat belt. Within seconds they're on their way.

“What do I open with?” Frank asks, turning the volume of the music down so that he can be heard.

“What do you mean?”

“Like what’s the first thing I say? ‘Hi I’m Frank, and the reason your son is never home anymore is because he’s been sleeping in my bed.’”

“Maybe not.”

“I wasn’t being literal,” Frank frowns. “But I still don’t know what to say. I’ve never done this before.”

“I know it’s cliché, but honestly just be yourself, you should do fine. Really though, I’ve never introduced someone to my parents for real.”

“For real?”

“Well, like, I had to introduce them to my prom date, but I’d rather pretend that didn’t happen,” Gerard replies.

“Oh my god, who was your prom date? Did he have a mullet?”

“Why do you think that the only prom date I could get had a mullet?” Gerard asks.

“Well, did he have a mullet?”

“It wasn’t a mullet, okay. I mean, he had some questionable style choices, but at least there was no mullet to be spoken of.”

“Where is he now?”

“Hell if I know,” Gerard shrugs. “I wish I’d known that you existed then. I could’ve ditched prom altogether.”

“You can’t just ditch out on prom. You’ve got a second chance to go, and I’m here this time,” Frank says, grinning, and Gerard is not sure how he feels about that, but if Frank’s there, than it can’t be that huge of a disaster. Besides, given the look on Frank’s face, Gerard kind of owes him that much.

Frank presses his face to the window. It’s cold, the window feels like it’s been in an icebox forever, but it keeps him there. It keeps him on his feet in a way even though it’s not really doing much to ease his mind. It’s at least making sure to remind him that he’s here and he can’t pretend that this isn’t happening, because it is.

Honestly, Frank knows, if they raised him and Mikey, Gerard’s got good parents. Sure, sometimes bad parents can have great kids, but it doesn’t seem like that’s the case with them. Gerard’s good, good in a moral sense, as well as the fact that he’s extremely kind. Gerard’s just too sweet to have awful parents.

That doesn’t make Frank any less nervous. What that means is that he has a lot to be to really be worth Gerard. Frank’s not entirely sure that he is good enough for him, but he’s selfish and he doesn’t care about the fact that Gerard could probably be dating some perfect billionaire, because he just wants Gerard for himself.

Frank will do his best to be the perfect boyfriend. He knows Gerard’s already made that dream impossible by already being too perfect, but he’ll try anyway. He wants to impress them, or at least good enough that they think Gerard’s doing alright. Mikey likes Frank well enough, so maybe Gerard’s parents will feel the same.

Frank crosses his fingers. He feels like the car ride is cut a lot shorter than it usually takes to get anywhere. What’s usually about ten minutes feels like less than a couple. Time is rushing past him, sensing his nerves and feeding off them. He doesn’t like it.

Before he can really take in a deep breath, Gerard’s parking the car. Frank’s brain is about to implode with the fear that’s coursing through him.

“You’re still sure you don’t want to go back?” Gerard asks.

“This has to happen eventually,” Frank says, “it might as well be now.”

“I’ll say it again, Frank, they will love you. They know I love you, they’ve got no choice but to like you as well.”

“They could still hate me,” Frank says, “they could think I’m an ass, or needy, or they might be logical and realize that you shouldn’t be dating a blind person.”

Frank doesn’t want to get out of the car. He hears Gerard opening his door, and he sighs, because he somewhat understands why Frank’s so nervous, but that doesn’t change the fact that Gerard knows they’ll like him.

“What’s so wrong with dating a blind person?” Gerard asks. “I don’t find it all that grueling. It’s honestly not even a factor in why I like you. I like you because you’re Frank.”

Frank frowns, but he doesn’t argue. Not because he agrees, but because arguing with Gerard about this isn’t going to get him anywhere. Gerard doesn’t care, Frank honestly does believe that, but Frank doesn’t really understand why it is that he doesn’t care. He feels that he should care.

Nevertheless, Frank let’s Gerard pull open his door for him, and he clutches at the folded down walking stick in his hand, nervous as to what he should do. He remembers Gerard’s house being messy, so he knows he can’t just leave it in the car, he’s got to keep his own safety in mind, but what are his parents going to think when Gerard brings in a guy brandishing a white cane out in front of him? It’s going to be plainly obvious, and no matter what kind of people they are, their first impression of Frank will be that he’s crippled. That’s the first thing that people make of him, almost all people, that’s how they first view him. He’s blind. It’s not always true. Sometimes people’s first impression actually does get to be about him. Like with Gerard, he didn’t know that originally, but Frank can’t hide from it.

“You okay,” Gerard asks Frank as he steps out of the car, pulling his cane out in front of him. Frank never thinks about it, but he usually doesn’t have it out with Gerard, because they’re usually in Frank’s house or at the comic book store where Frank never has to stand up or move around, so he doesn’t need it.

“Yeah, just anxious.”

“Well soon, you’ll understand that there’s nothing to be anxious about,” Gerard tells him.

"Shut up," Frank says and moves close to Gerard. Gerard wraps his arm around Frank's shoulder and pulls him in. Frank puts his arm around Gerard's waist and sighs.

"You're rude," Gerard replies.

"It's just that telling me I have nothing to worry about doesn't exactly stop me from worrying. So just shut up."

Gerard smiles at Frank and starts leading him to the door of his house. When they get there he takes out his keys and opens the door. They walk inside and Gerard closes the door. He takes Frank's coat and winter accessories off and hangs it up.

"Mom? Dad?"

Mikey comes into the living room and Frank turns his head in his direction.

"Ah... the meeting of the parents," he grins, making a face along with it.

"Don't start, Mikey. He's nervous enough."

Mikey giggles and Frank scowls at him. The last thing he needs is to deal with Mikey.

"Awe come on! They're not evil robots out to get the blind kid."

"Fuck off, Mikey," Frank says and Mikey looks at him.

"Okay, my bad. Jeez," Mikey replies and goes to sit on the couch.

Just then Frank's head snaps in the direction of the hallway where he hears footsteps approaching. Suddenly he's clinging to Gerard and he doesn't notice until Gerard reacts to how tightly Frank's holding him.

"I'm sorry," Frank says quietly and loosens his grip. He's clutching his cane so tightly he thinks he's going to snap it in half.

"Yeah baby, what is it? Oh!" Mrs. Way stops and smiles when she sees Frank. "Hello there! I'm Donna and you must be Frank."

She walks over to him and holds out her hand for him to shake. When he doesn't take it she notices why. She suddenly feels horrible for not realizing it immediately.

"Hi Mrs. Way, I'm Frank," Frank answers and he smiles as sweetly as he can. It feels fake to his own face.

Mr. Way finally reaches the living room and walks over to where they're all standing. "Hello, Frank. I'm Donald." He doesn't make an attempt to shake his hand, because unlike Mrs. Way he noticed the boy was visually impaired as soon as he saw him. Nobody wears sunglasses inside of a house unless something's up with them or they're blind.

"Hello Mr. Way. It's nice to finally meet you."

Mikey scoffs and laughs from the couch, and if Frank could, he'd leap across the room and cut Mikey's toes off right then.

"What is so funny Mikey?" Mr. Way asks curiously.

"Frank."

Frank raises his brows and Gerard giggles a little. Frank elbows him in his side and looks up in his direction.

"What about Frank is funny?" Mr. Way asks next.

"How polite he seems. Frank is the most..."

"Michael, you stop that right now. The way he acts with friends shouldn't be the way he acts with parents. He has to have some sort of manners unlike you. Sit up straight and shut your mouth. Besides... if he's impolite to you there's no wonder why."

Frank and Gerard laugh along with Mr. Way. Mikey just scowls and does as he's told.

"Thank you, Mrs. Way."

"No need to thank me. I gave birth to the boy, but you can't raise them all right, huh?" she says.

"Moooom!" Mikey whines and she laughs and turns her attention back to Frank.

"So why has it taken you so long to meet us?" Mr. Way asks and Frank doesn't really have an answer to that.

"Oh stop Donald. We've never met anyone else so he must be special."

"I've been told that Gerard's told you all about how amazing I am."

"See? That's more like the Frankie we all know."

"Do you want to keep your toes Mikey?" Frank snaps at him for calling him Frankie.

"What's that about?" Mrs. Way asks while chuckling.

"Frankie here doesn't let anyone but Gerard call him Frankie. I guess you have to swap spit with him to earn that right."

"Michael!" Mrs. Way and Mr. Way say.

"I could get rid of him for you two and make it look like an accident. Just say the word," Frank says.

They laugh again and Mrs. Way reaches out on impulse and ruffles Frank's hair. "You are going to fit into this family just perfectly."

Frank smiles and Gerard kisses his forehead. "See? I told you that you had nothing to worry about."
♠ ♠ ♠
We didn't mean for this to take so long, hopefully this chapter was kind of worth it.