Status: In Progress

These Eyes Are Blind

If Only You Could See Me, We'd Dance Like A Heart Attack

Frank is about as tired as he can be the next day, but he doesn’t want to spend another day lying in. He convinces his mother to take him into town, because he’s been stifling indoors for too long. It’s not a very big town though, even Frank can see that. Figuratively.

There’s really not much to do, but he escapes on a whim by saying that all he wants to do is sit around for a little while. Finally, Frank convinces his mother to take him to the mall in town, which is a sorry little building that should be ashamed to call itself a mall. It’s got a food court though, and Frank likes to people listen. He can’t people watch so he calls it people listening. That’s just his annoying way of saying that he likes to eavesdrop.

Frank ditches his mother when he assures that he’s not going to wonder off into trouble. She has errands to run to make the house homier anyway. Frank would tell her not to bother on getting anything nice, because who’s going to see it, but he decides against it. He’s been pushing the boundaries too much as it is.

Apparently the first snowfall of the year had been the night prior, so Frank is forced to wear non-skid boots even though he’s not even going to be outside. His mom worries too much though, because apparently Frank is the kind of person who slips a lot. He doesn’t really, but if it happens once then his mother decides it will happen again.

At last though, Frank is sitting in the corner of the food court with his sunglasses on, and head down. He doesn’t expect to really go anywhere, but right now he’s wrapped in someone’s story at another table about their awful cheating ex-boyfriend. It’s really very bland, in Frank’s opinion, the lady needs to use more expletives if she hates the guy so much.

“Why are you wearing sunglasses when it’s snowing and overcast?” A voice asks from beside Frank, and he obviously doesn’t turn to look. It takes Frank a moment to decide that whomever just spoke was talking to him.

“Don’t tell me you’re one of those jerks who think only douchebags wear sunglasses indoors,” Frank says. He’s used to it by now, people thinking he’s a twat for the accessory.

“Um no, I was just curious, but thanks for the peachy attitude,” the voice answers. It’s a guy’s voice, that’s for sure, and it’s quite pleasant if he’s going to be honest. It’s light and sweet, and there’s definitely an accent in there, but he hasn’t heard enough of the guy’s voice to identify it. Distinctly American, somewhere in the east. He’s gotten incredibly good at classifying accents over the years because he’s just got better ears than most people.

“I’m not an all that peachy person. To tell you the truth, I’m a bit of a prick,” Frank answers.

“Well that’s nice that you can be honest with yourself about it.”

“I am nothing if not truthful. Well I’m a little snarky too, but we only just met so I figured I’d leave that out.”

The person raises his eyebrow, but Frank doesn’t see that gesture obviously. He doesn’t see anything about the guy now standing somewhere to his left. If he could see the boy he would see his jet black hair, pale skin, way too much eye makeup, and dark black clothing.

“What’s your name then?” The guy asks. Frank decides he’s from New Jersey.

“To be frank we don’t know each other all that well and I’m not sure I should tell you,” he kind of just did say his name with the way he phrased that sentence, but the guy doesn’t know how clever a pun he just made.

“I’m Gerard,” the guys says. Mister pleasant voice now has a name! Isn’t that exciting?

“Hello Gerard, what do you want?” Frank says. The guy, Gerard, probably doesn’t know he’s conversing with a blind guy because of the fact that Frank’s walking stick is collapsible, and once dismantled it’s only about the size of a small baton.

“Who says I want something?”

“Because people don’t just walk up to strangers to chit-chat.”

The guy moves around a little bit and Frank turns his head in the direction that he’s pretty sure the guy is moving, so that Gerard thinks he’s looking at him through the sunglasses.

“You’re kind of cynical.”

“I try my best,” Frank smiles snidely.

“Mind if I sit here?” Gerard asks, and Frank assumes he’s referring to a chair that’s probably in front of him.

“Isn’t there somewhere else you could sit?”

“Can’t you tell that every other seat is taken besides this one?” He hears the legs of a chair screech on the floor, and assumes that Gerard has now sat down.

“I guess I just didn’t notice. Maybe I wasn’t looking hard enough,” Frank responds. He’s pretty sure this guy has no idea that Frank is blind, and to be honest that’s really refreshing. No one ever treats him like he’s just a guy. Just Frank.

“Still not going to tell me your name? I’d say we know each other pretty well by now.”

“Fine, Gerard,” he says stringing the name out like it’s an insult, “I’m Frank.”

“Frank. You don’t look like a Frank,” he answers.

“I wouldn’t know,” Frank frowns, “is that why you started talking to me then? To sit down?”

“Uh sort of,” Gerard answers, “I’m not keen on big noisy crowds.”

“You prefer bratty little dickheads wearing sunglasses?” Frank asks, and he leans in closer to the table, and aims his head in the direction he’s pretty sure Gerard is.

“Well you don’t seem that bad. Maybe a bit rude, but who isn’t?”

“Whatever. So, Gerard, what brings you to the mall food court at this time of day?”

The guy doesn’t say anything. Maybe he shrugged, but Frank waits for a verbal answer.

“Why are you here?” He finally says.

“I like eavesdropping on other people’s conversations,” Frank answers truthfully.

“Isn’t that a little creepy?”

“Well I’m a little creepy, so I guess it suits me. You don’t look like a Gerard,” Frank says smiling to himself. He’s really enjoying this interaction, because he just isn’t used to people not pitying him.

“Oh, don’t I?” Gerard answers and he smiles a little, but wipes it away quickly not wanting this Frank guy to see it. If he only knew how idiotic a thought that was.

“Yeah you look more like a big blurry speck to me,” Frank says. That can easily sound like it’s just a weird diss.

“Wow, that’s a high compliment,” Gerard answers.

“Well if it helps any, appearances mean literally nothing to me. Literally nothing at all whatsoever.”

“That’s big of you.”

“No it really isn’t,” Frank sneers, “you never answered my question as to why you’re here.”

“I work at the comic book store here, and I’m on my break,” Gerard answers.

“Ugh, comics,” Frank groans. He hates comic books because they mean nothing to him. Most of the appeal to a comic are the graphics, and there really aren’t that many words on the pages so Frank’s never understood the point. Blind people get no satisfaction at all from graphic novels, really.

“Whoa, hitting me where it hurts,” Gerard answers, “what’s wrong with comic books?”

“Mostly the pictures.”

“Wow that one really hurt. Art is like my favorite thing ever.”

“Art is like my least favorite thing ever. I like music as an art form though, I guess.”

“Why do you hate art?” Gerard asks.

Frank practically snorts. This shouldn’t be as funny as it is, and Gerard doesn’t understand what’s funny of course.

Gerard decides Frank isn’t going to answer so he says, “Fine what’s so great about music then? I mean I love music, it’s one of my favorite things, but what makes it better than art?”

“The format mostly. You don’t need to think about it or process it, because all there is to it is sound. Good sounds, rather than other annoying sounds. Everything is in that one sense. Just sound.”

“You’re wrong about that though. Music isn’t just sound it’s a feeling. It’s an emotion.”

“What makes you the expert on senses?” Frank asks. He’s really tempted to just pull his sunglasses off to let Gerard in on the little secret. His eyes are incredibly pale and milky, so he’s been told, which makes it very clear that he’s definitely blind. He remembers his being brown, but he can’t actually remember what brown looked like anymore. He doesn’t remember many colors really.

Frank remembers red, and he obviously knows the color black and white because that’s all he ever really gets in his state. He remembers what people look like kind of.

“Well, um, my break is almost over, Frank.”

“Nice talking to you,” Frank says waving his hand lazily.

“Maybe you should come with me so that I can show you the amazing world of comic books?”

“I think you’d find that that really isn’t all that smart an idea.”

“Oh come on, you can’t be that stubborn,” Gerard teases, standing up to look down at Frank whose head hasn’t moved from the spot where Gerard was sitting a moment ago.

“I’m more than one hundred percent certain that I wouldn’t appreciate them the way you would,” Frank says.

“You’re right, you are a bit of a prick.”

“I told you,” Frank says matter-of-factly.

“Oh c’mon, just let me take you and then you can leave if you decide you still don’t like it.”

“You’re probably going to regret that statement. Are you sure you want me to come with you?” Frank asks.

“Yeah, I’ve got five minutes left, I can show you a few of my favorites.”

Frank sighs, but he’d already known Gerard’s ignorance couldn’t last forever.

“You really want me too?” Frank asks, sounding irritated.

“Sure, of course,” Gerard answers.

Frank exhales deeply then shrugs. It’s now or never, Gerard’s going to feel kind of shitty after he goes for the ‘big reveal,’ but Frank doesn’t care.

“Well okay then,” Frank answers, and he turns slightly in his seat to face the direction Gerard’s standing in, and he grabs the folded cane from his lap, and starts to put it together with little snaps.

Frank doesn’t see the motion of course, but Gerard jumps a little bit when he sees Frank bring out his cane, and he feels a bit stupid.

“Oh, you’re...”

“What? Blind?” Frank asks, looking somewhere high above him that he’s sure is nowhere near the position of Gerard’s head, “Yeah, you could say that.”

“Well that was a little bitchy, not saying that when we were talking about art.”

“A little bitchy? Wow you’re nice,” Frank says standing up. He hopes he’s not tiny compared to Gerard, but he is actually.

“Well it would’ve been a good reason to mention for why you hate art.”

Frank shrugs, “Yeah but it was kind of fun leading you on to believe I was just a cynic.”

“Well you are a cynic,” Gerard answers, “and a really snotty one at that.”

“Snotty? This stick may be for walking but I’m not afraid to hit you with it,” Frank says. They’re still standing in the same place, and don’t seem to be moving anywhere right now.

"Maybe you could do that some other time. Right now I have to get back to work. You're still welcome to come with me if you'd like."

Frank is a little shocked to say the least, but he knows not to get his hopes up. There are few people who show interest in him after knowing that he’s a blind smartass, but they rarely ever stay around. Frank knows this guy will possibly be gone within a blink of an eye.

"Sure, I don't see why not."

"You have an odd sense of humor."

Frank chuckles and starts walking towards Gerard's voice, “That makes up for the lack of my sight sense.”

Gerard nods before realizing Frank won't see him so he begins speaking, "I like it. It's good to have a sense of humor about things. Otherwise you'd be mundane all the time, and I don't do too well with those types of people."

"I'm glad to know that. I don’t know what I’ll do with that information, but it’s nice to learn new things."

Frank lets the sarcasm drip from his statement, but Gerard doesn't mind or is used to it by now. Frank decides to go with the latter. He wonders why this guy is taking a liking to him in the first place. Gerard has to have better things to do than lead around the blind to see comics that he won't actually be able to see. Frank has a brief moment to wonder if he’s finally found someone who can be his confidant.

He doesn't want to get too ahead of himself, but he can't help hoping for the best from this guy. Sure, they've only been in each other's presence for all of ten minutes, but Frank is still thinking ahead already. He hasn't been in this new town for long, and already he's found this guy who can keep up with him verbally, and wasn't put off by him after he first opened his mouth. Frank can't help but to be a bit optimistic about it, even though optimism has never been a strong point for him.

"So since you can’t see, does that mean you’re into music?”

“I care more about music than people,” Frank says.

“Well okay. Do you play any instruments?"

“Guitar,” Frank is blunt and to the point. He doesn't want to go too far into it, but he can tell that Gerard won't leave it there by the excited intake of breath he hears.

"Really? Are you any good?" Gerard asks.

"I'm alright."

"How long have you been playing?"

"Years."

"I have to say you’re the most unenthusiastic person I’ve ever met. What's the problem with actually talking to me?"

Frank sighs and stops where he is. He moves his cane around and hits Gerard in the leg with it.

"Ow!" Gerard shouts.

"Just making sure you were still here."

"I won't be if you beat me to death with that thing!"

Frank shrugs and Gerard stuffs his hand in his pocket.

Frank says, "Right now, I don't want to talk about music. I'm just not in the mood for it."

“I just wanted to get to know you better. I'm sorry,” Gerard replies, sounding a little hurt.

Frank is floored with Gerard's statement. People never want to get to know him, they just want to get to him. They say cruel things and do cruel things to get to him. Gerard can't be a real person. There is only one more logical reason, and Frank decides to speak up on it.

"Who put you up to this?"

"Excuse me?" Gerard asks.

"You heard me good and well, or are you deaf?"

"Is your life that fucked up that you'd think someone would put me up to talking with you?" Gerard responds, not trying to sugarcoat it.

Frank looks around as if he could see the people watching and laughing at him in the first place, and then he shrugs his shoulders.

"Look, I don't know. I haven't been here long, but maybe someone heard about my inability to see. They could've even spotted me entering with my cane and put you up to it. So excuse me for being a little paranoid."

"A little is an understatement," Gerard says.

"Yeah well, I don't see anyone lined up around the corner to meet me, do you? Or you for that matter."

Gerard grins at Frank. There he is making his jokes again. Gerard admires that the boy can be so nonchalant about losing his sight. Gerard could never be that strong.

“Actually there is. I have a whole posse that follow me around wherever I go,” Gerard states, sarcastically.

“Well they’re awful quiet aren’t they?”

“I suppose they are,” Gerard says.

“So I don’t see any comic book shops, are you sure you’re not just a hopeless dork imagining things?” Frank asks, “Are you best friends with Batman as well?”

“I resent that,” Gerard replies, “but just, ugh, it’s around the corner.”

“Can I be certain that you are in fact leading me to a comic book store rather than a vat of honey and feathers you wish to cover me in, or a large knife you wish to stab me with?”

“That’s not a very good idea, is it? How stupid would I have to be to kill you in the middle of a mall?” Gerard asks.

“Well I’m just curious, because I’ve had enough of false kindness in my life, alright? I’ve had enough of the ‘hey Frank, your classroom is over there’ and then getting locked in a closet. I’ve had enough of the ‘kick me’ signs on my back from people who were ‘just trying to help me get around.’ I’ve had enough of it, okay?”

“I didn’t mean anything malicious, Frank. I didn’t even know you were blind, how could I have been paid to screw you around? Besides, why would I want to?”

“Please. Do I look gullible?” Frank asks, “Actually, that was a real question. Do I look gullible? Or do I look smart? Oh, do I look hot?”

Gerard looks over Frank and shrugs, “Yeah, the last one is applicable.”

“Very funny. Take me to your leader comic boy!” Frank says, and then he pokes at the place where Gerard’s feet are. He’d guessed as to where Gerard was standing, but he was pretty close.

“If I’m comic boy that makes you Daredevil,” Gerard says.

“Who?” Frank asks.

“Daredevil,” Gerard says and then turns to look at Frank surprised, “hold on, you can’t tell me you don’t know who Daredevil is!”

“I don’t know who Daredevil is.”

“Seriously? Daredevil is a blind superhero. I’d have thought you’d know who he is,” Gerard says, “There’s not too many blind superheroes, at least I’m only aware of the one, so I figured you’d at least appreciate him.”

“Never heard of him,” Frank replies.

“Well you’re in luck then,” Gerard tells him, “because this is where I work.”

Gerard opens a door and there’s a ringing sound. The atmosphere in the shop is different than outside. He can tell that it’s a lot emptier. The rumble of noise from outside doesn’t make it into the store.

Frank looks around, pretending to take a thorough look at the shop, but Gerard only rolls his eyes at Frank. He kind of likes Frank’s attitude, even if he probably shouldn’t, considering how cynical Frank is.

“It’s truly a beautiful store. Quite a nice use of store frontage. I like the displays as well.”

“You’re stunningly good at making those jokes,” Gerard says.

“I’ve got a lot of practice. Lead the way, comic boy.”

“My name is Gerard,” he says.

“And mine is Frank, but I’m not going to stop calling you comic boy.”

Gerard chuckles and shakes his head, "You are a piece of work."

"Hm... most people don't stay around to know that. You could lead me astray now so you don't have to work any harder, comic boy," Frank says, and Gerard smiles softly at him.

"Now why would I do that? I like to work hard for what I want."

Frank's eyebrows rise high over his glasses and then he furrows them, "And what exactly is it that you want?"

Frank rises a questioning brow at Gerard. Gerard smirks at Frank and laughs lightly.

"You... preferably as a friend.... first," Gerard says nonchalantly. A smile tugs at Frank's lips, but he isn't very good at hiding it. Gerard sees it despite Frank's effort and he shakes his head comically at Frank.

"Most people don't want to be my friend or anything more. Most people want to throw things at me and laugh when they hit me in the face."

"You know what, you keep saying 'most people' and I'm beginning to become insulted. I'll have you know I'm not most people. I'm Gerard Way and I would like to be your friend."

"Way?" Frank giggles and Gerard decides he loves the sound of that. Now if only Gerard can be his friend he'd surely love to make Frank giggle more than a little bit.

"What's funny about it?"

“Just like... 'lead the Way',” Frank starts laughing now, "You know, because I'm blind."

Gerard chuckles lightly, "Man your humor is sick."

“Yeah well. I'm fairly sure you should be getting back to work now. We've spent so much time talking and not enough looking at comics,” Frank says. Gerard purses his lips and nods.

"You're right, but how about you meet me back here when I finish?"

"What time do you finish?" Frank asks.

"I have another hour left here."

"I guess I could go window shopping."

"If you want to shop, how about you find issue one of Daredevil. The one I told you about, and I'll buy it for you," Gerard suggests.

"Can you sense that I'm poor?"

"Most people who live here are, myself included."

"So why would you waste your money on a complete stranger that you just met? Furthermore, one who can't even read what you're going to buy him," Frank questions.

"Because I was hoping that I could help you with that. You seem to listen a lot. Plus, I have a job. I can afford to spend a few bucks on a comic for a potential friend.”

“I’m making no promises as to the institution of any such friendship,” Frank says. Frank thinks about it for a second. Why is this guy being so nice to him?

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"I thought we went over this. I want to be your friend," Gerard says, “Do you really think the twenty something working at a comic book store has many more friends than you?”

Frank sighs annoyed and stomps his foot lightly, "Really Gerard? Just tell me."

"Oh! You used my name!"

"Shut up. Just answer my question. Why do you want to be my friend? I'm sure there are plenty of nice people, who can see, willing to be your friend."

"They're humdrum, you're not. I like you. You're cynical and I like that too, but only coming from you. I guess because you have this kind of attitude that you shouldn't. If you could see I probably would've dismissed you faster than summer break, because on you, it’s not just you being a twat."

"So am I a pity case because I'm blind?"

"No! You have this way about you that I like. You're a nice guy in your own cynical way. You're not bad to look at either," Gerard says.

Frank knows what flirting sounds like he’s just never heard it directed his way. Still, he wants to be sure that he isn't imagining things.

"Are you flirting with me, Gerard?" Frank lets Gerard's name drip like poison from his lips.

"Maybe I am."

Frank bites his lip, but not in a seductive manner; more like a thinking hard kind of way. Gerard doesn't miss it though, and he smirks. He's seen his fair share of blind people, but none of them were as attractive as Frank. Gerard likes that a lot, but he also feels like a creep for being a little pervy about a blind guy.

"I'll go get that comic now," Frank says to change the subject.

The bell chimes as a costumer walks in and Frank's head turns in the direction. Gerard smiles at Frank. He thinks it’s cute how in tune Frank is with hearing. He watches as Frank’s head follows the direction she’s walking in.

"You're a pretty good listener," Gerard notes.

"Well you would be too if that's all you had to help you get around," Frank says.

"You have a cane too."

"Look whatever, just call out the way I'm supposed to go, and I’ll find it myself.”

"Well for starters..."

Gerard takes hold of Frank's hips and turns him around. Frank feels warm at the touch and his breathing catches in his throat.

"You have to go that way," Gerard says sultrily.

Frank knows he shouldn't, but he can't deny that he likes the feel of Gerard's breath on the nape of his neck, and his hands still firmly on his hips. Frank clears his throat and Gerard chuckles. He can tell he has some sort of effect over Frank which is a first. Sure he has an effect over other people, but never so soon. He knows it has to be because Frank isn't used to this kind of attention.

"I think I got it now. Just tell me when to turn."

Gerard nods and reluctantly lets go of Frank's waist. Frank puts his cane out in front of him and moves it back and forth. It hits a shelf and Frank turns his head in the direction of it. He stands there for a second and then starts walking again. He hits another shelf but continues on. Gerard adores the boy for some reason, and he hasn't even known him that long. He likes how he can get himself around.

"Hey listen... what's the aisle number?" Frank turns and looks over his shoulder in the direction of Gerard.

"Five. I was going to tell you."

"Well, I just feel a little weird with you watching me."

"I'm sorry Aisle five, all the way to the end, third shelf. How did you know I was watching you?"

“Eyes in the back of my head,” Frank says.

“I should’ve known,” Gerard chuckles.

Frank nods and starts walking again. He hits the third bookshelf and nods to himself as he counts. He walks until he gets to the fifth shelf and turns. Gerard smiles brightly and looks over at the other customer. She’s looking in the direction that Frank has gone. She has a confused look on her face. Gerard walks over to her and behind the counter.

“I'm sorry for the wait. Just helping a customer,” He says.

"No problem."

She starts taking the comics from her basket and sitting them on the counter. She keeps looking back and then up at Gerard skeptically. Gerard starts ringing up her stuff and ignores the way she’s looking at him. Finally she speaks up and Gerard is shocked by what she has to say.

"Um... he's blind, so why is he purchasing comics? I mean he can't very well read or see them."

Frank clears his throat and the lady turns to look at him. He stands there with Daredevil #1 in his hand, and his cane in the other. Gerard hadn’t actually expected Frank to find the right one, but he’s talented in that respect.

"Your ignorance isn't bliss and it's obvious your hearing isn't too well either. So can I ask why you listen to music when you clearly can't hear a blind person coming up on you with a clinking cane hitting the floor?"

Gerard fights back his laughter, and silently applauds Frank.

"How do you know I’m listening...?"

"I hear your iPod playing in your pocket. You know what else I can hear? I can hear people talking shit about me. Here’s something that may not have occurred to you, but I do have ears, and I can hear people reading to me. I suggest you mind your own business and stop being ignorant."

The lady stands there in astonishment, "Whatever."

She pays for her items and then walks out of the store slowly.

“You can stop staring at me, and have a nice day,” Frank yells at her. The lady's eyes grow wide and she turns to leave the store quickly.

"That was fucking awesome."

“Yeah well,” Frank shrugs, “I am fucking awesome, that’s not big news.”

Frank sighs slowly and sits the comic on the counter. Gerard looks at Frank closely and he can tell that what the lady said got to him a little bit. Frank isn’t saying it, but there’s some part of him that apparently still isn’t used to being blind.

“Hey, she was an idiot,” Gerard consoles. Frank nods and looks up at Gerard. Gerard smiles down at him and pulls the comic over to himself to ring it up.

"I know she was. It just gets tiring sometimes. You know I live for making people look stupid though. So it almost makes people's ignorance worthwhile."

Gerard laughs and takes out his cash to pay for the comic book.

"You're right. I wish you could've seen the look on her face. Fucking priceless, man."

"I can imagine," Frank says. Frank smiles brightly and Gerard is taken aback. This is the first time he’s seen Frank genuinely smile and it’s amazing.

"Your smile is beautiful."

Frank's smile falters, "What?"

"You have a beautiful smile."

Frank stops smiling and looks away from Gerard. Gerard’s not positive what he said that was wrong. His face hesitates tellingly, and he tries to recover himself until he realizes that Frank’s got no idea what the hell he looks like right now or at all.

"Uh, could I get that comic now? I'm gonna go wait out at the food court."

Gerard sighs but hands over the comic book, "I'm not like everyone else. When I say something I mean it."

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Frank moves his cane about and heads towards what he knows to be the exit. He had been counting the turns he made when he entered the store, which is something he’s gotten pretty good at. He stops and looks back towards Gerard.

"Yeah, you're right," he says shortly.

Frank continues walking and pushes the door open. Gerard watches as he walks through the mall until he disappears from sight. He makes his way back to the food court, following the rumbles of voices. Frank finds a seat and sits down at the table. He can feel people’s eyes looking at him, wondering what the blind guy is doing at a table by himself.

He sits the comic on the table and run his fingers across it. The paper feels lightweight and he wishes he could look at it. See what the art is like, or what the words say. All that’s running through his mind is the hunger to see the little nuances from the ink, and the faces of the characters.

His mind is racing a mile a minute. He can't understand why Gerard took a liking to him. People don't just compliment Frank and buy him things. The only person who does that is his mother, but Gerard was showing him a different kind of affection. One that's frowned upon if a mother shows it to her son.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?