Status: currently working

Pure Addiction

Chapter 18: The Mikaelson Ball

"Aren't you going to open your package?" Mom sounded excited.

She, of course wasn't aware of all the innocents Kol had killed because of Damon and I. All she knew was that she had to stock up on vervain and stay inside as much as possible. I was hesitant because I was afraid of what I would find.

"No Mom, I'm just going to throw it away and head back to the Salvatores." I went to pick it up.

"Um, actually I talked to Stefan. He said you're doing much better. Is that true?" She asked.

I gave my head a nod.

"Well than maybe you should consider packing your things and coming back home. I don't like being alone." She tucked her hands in her pants pockets as though she was nervous.

I felt a nice warming sensation tickle my heart. Those words meant alot to me. A small smile tugged at my lips.

"I would really like that, thank you."

"Listen, if you're gonna throw away the package at least open the card first." Mom picked up the white card off the package.
I rolled my eyes at the thought of it being some taunting note from Kol. Boy, was I wrong. It was actually a nice invitation to the Mikaelson Ball. I flipped the card over to see a note.

Raine,
Care to save a dance for your Devil?
Fondly,
Kol

"You got to be kidding me!" I ripped the box open and pulled out a beautiful blue gown.

My mom gasped. "Oh my god, that's beautiful." She placed her hand on her heart as she read the invitation. "You should go. You would look absolutely gorgeous. I can help with your hair." Mom offered.

"Mom, I can't go." I looked at her with wide eyes.

"I was not born yesterday, Raine. This is the man that turned you and has been tormenting you. Take the opportunity to clean up your mess while you can. It is not fair for all of us to be afraid because you angered an original vampire."

"He'll kill me!" I whispered in a harsh tone.

"He already killed you! Don't let it happen again." Mom's blue eyes turned ice cold.

"You can't let us all be in danger because of your rash decisions." Mom kept her voice cold as she put a hand on her hip and used the other to cover her mouth. Tears were welling up in her eyes.

That was how I ended up standing in the dark blue ball gown at the Mikaelson mansion. The fabric stretched to the ground in a rouche like design and my curly hair was cascading down my left shoulder. My mother was right I had to find away to stop Kol's rampage before someone I cared about got hurt, or even worse killed.

I searched the whole big room and finally caught a glimpse of someone I knew.

"Mayor Lockwood, so glad to see a face I know." I spoke in a sweet tone.

"Raine, why are you here?" Carol looked surprised to see me.

"I was invited and decided to take it as the opportunity to check out the deadly vampires, make sure they don't go stir crazy from old age." I was totally lying but she didn't have to know the true reason as to why I was at the ball.

Damon Salvatore walked up to the both of us in a black tux with a cute bow tie around his neck. It was the first time I actually seen Damon look so. . . Nice.

"Carol? Raine? What are you guys doing here?" Damon asked.

"I'm the mayor Damon. When a family of the oldest most deadliest vampires move next door, you welcome them with a smile."

Damon gave off a fake smile. "Well at least you know who your borrowing that cup of sugar from."

"They've assured me that they are willing to keep peace and I've assured them that I would enforce it."

Damon nodded his head and turned to me. "And you are here why?"
"Just to make sure nothing bad happens. I am one of the good guys, remember?"

Damon didn't believe the story I was telling him. He gave his I-don't-believe-you look and I simply shrugged my shoulders before turning around and walking away.

If Kol wanted to talk or torture me, I had to hurry up and get it over with. Unfortunately I couldn't spot him out in the crowd of people. I saw Stefan and then Elana come in but no Kol.

"Raine, glad to see you received your invitation." Rebekah approached me with a smile and held out a glass of champagne for me.

I accepted her offer and smiled. "Thank you very much, love your dress by the way."

She looked down at her green one-strap ball gown and then brought her blue eyes to mine. "Thank you, I'm glad to see the dress Kol picked out works well with your eyes. At least he is not a complete idiot." Rebekah commented.

"Speaking of Kol do you know why he invited me here? I been looking for him but I can't find him at the moment." I asked as I gave my head a little tilt.

"Sorry but I can't really tell you. Try not to let the color drain from your face all at once. Kol fancies you, Raine that's why your here. Even if you made him royally mad he won't hurt you. . .much." She teased.

She patted my shoulder and began walking away. My eyes went to the stairs then I noticed that Kol was coming down them. I suddenly wasn't sure if it was a smart idea to be in the same room as him. That sick twisted smile of his made chills run down my spine and I wasn't sure if it was in a good way or bad.

I was just about to turn to leave when I almost ran into the man standing just an inch away from me.

It was Stefan, scanning me with those green eyes of his. Confusion filled his face. He clearly didn't understand what I was doing and neither did I.

"Stefan." I pulled the bottom of my dress up a little and gave him a slight bow.

"What are you doing here? I told you it was too dangerous to come here. Kol tried to kill you once already." Stefan sounded irritated.

"He did kill me, but I need to talk to him and get him to leave my family alone. I have to clean up the mess I made. Stefan, I can't let anyone else get hurt."

Stefan looked as though he was in deep thought. He opened his mouth to continue the argument but was interrupted by Elijah who was making a speech and asking everyone to join his family in the ballroom for a dance. Kol kept his dark brown eyes on me the whole time. If I was human again my heart would have probably exploded.
The things he could do to me with just a simple look it was amazing.

"No matter what happens, if you need help, call me I'll be listening for you." Stefan gave me his serious broody look.

I gave my head a nod and whispered a thank you to him.

"Raine." Elijah's voice stopped me in my tracks.

"I do hope you wouldn't be rude enough to ignore my requests for all the guests to join us for a dance."

I opened my mouth to speak.

"Besides who would be my dance partner?" He held out his hand and sent me that charming smile of his.

It would have been easy for anyone to fall in love with Elijah. He had the same good looks as Kol and managed to be quite the gentlemen. I put on a smile and placed my hands in his.

His grip was gentle as he lead me to the ballroom. Kol was dancing with some blonde girl that had on this beautiful red dress. He was smiling until he saw me with Elijah. His looks went from happy, care-free to I-will-murder-you in a blink. He was already mad at me, I was pretty sure the thought of me being with his older brother would probably have been adding fuel to his fire.

Elijah placed a hand on my waist and we began going in a circle across the ballroom. The song give me love by Ed Sherran began to play.

"In case no one has told you yet. . . You look gorgeous." He commented as he eyed my body up and down.

"Oh Thank you, you clean up pretty well yourself."

"I wish to apologize for the actions my brother Kol has taken against. He had no right turning you, especially when you didn't want it." Elijah kept those dark brown eyes staring in mine.

"It's not your fault Elijah. It's mine, I should have stayed away from Kol." I shook my head as we danced in another circle.

"Even if you stayed away he still would have gone after you. Once Kol picks a target they don't escape. Running from him will do you no good, Raine." Elijah began to grow a look of concern.

"Elijah, why do you look so worried?" I asked as I glanced quickly at Kol. His eyes were still burning holes in my soul.

"I just want you to know that I am trying my best to keep Kol on his best behavior, things will change soon, I promise."

I wanted to ask what he meant but he leaned down, gave the back of my hand a quick kiss and then spun me with a little extra force.
I spun a whole two times before bumping into the chest of Kol Mikaelson. He gave off that smirk and raised an eyebrow at me as he raised his hand. It was as if he was asking me, 'do you want to dance with the devil?' It wouldn't surprise me if he was the Devil or a spawn of the Devil, he certainly acted like it sometimes.

After a quick shrug of the shoulders I grabbed his hand and we immediately began dancing.

"Glad to see the dress fits, you look stunning." Kol commented as we went in a circle.

"Please cut the whole gentleman act, you and I both know that's Elijah's gig." I spat as I looked at all the beautiful white lights that were hanging all over the place.

"Oh but I could act like it's my gig of that's what gets you going." He whispered as he brought me closer to him.

"Kol, after what you've done, I want nothing to do with you." I brought my blue eyes to his face.

"If you wanted nothing to do with me you wouldn't have come, certainly not in the dress I got you."

He had a point. Even with the amount of bodies raising from his rage, I still missed him, and I definitely felt an attraction to him. I just didn't want to give in to it. He killed innocent people and thought nothing of it. He threatened my family many times and yet a part of my heart still held a place for him. Damn him for being such a handsome monster and damn him for knowing it.

"I had nothing else good to wear at such a formal event." I lied.

"You can keep playing coy all you want, I know you Raine, like the back of my hand. I know what it's like to be the black sheep of the family and to have no other choice but to make bad decisions because its the only way to stay sane." Kol kept eye contact as he spoke softly.

"You snapped my neck, don't expect sympathy from me." I looked around and noticed Stefan exiting with Elana.

Something was up.

"You never even suspected the vampire blood in your drink." He held a big smile now.

"You really are a bastard." I spoke between clentched teeth.

"Hey, don't get upset. I did it because I didn't want you growing old. The way I see it, I did you a favor."

"What do you want from me Kol? You want me to say thank you? Send you a goddamn card?" I snapped.

"I want to propose an idea to you. I'll leave your family alone if you stop ignoring me, I'll even forgive your friend Damon but you have to give me what I want." Kol offered.

"And what is that?" I asked making eye contact.

"I want you to pick a meal out of the crowd. Pick someone tasty."
Shit. Compulsion was a bitch.

I scanned the crowd and found that blond in the red dress again. She was glaring at me for dancing with Kol.

"The one in the red, staring at us." I gave my head a little nod.
He found her and smiled. "Good choice, now here's what your going to do. Your going to compel her to follow you and I to my room and we're going to have some real fun."

He released me and began walking away. I let out a heavy sigh and reminded myself it was all going to be for my friends and family. Whatever it was that he wanted me to do.