Death on Your Heels

Chapter 1

I have always been able to see things. Well, I guess not just things, but supernatural things. You could say that I mostly see ghosts and the things that go bump in the night. Sometimes they even notice me, and on rare occasions, tell me things… important things…

I never really told people what I could see. I didn’t even tell my new fiancé about the things that I could see. Nobody in the past ever believed me. Most people just dismissed it, but others labeled me as the strange or weird girl that would sometimes talk to herself… the girl that always seemed to get scared for no reason.

That was me when I was younger. Now I am in college and know a thing or two. I may not be one of the hotties on campus, but I was by no means ugly or strange looking, and that is what I used to blend into the world around me. That and I learned to ignore any “unnatural thing” that I ever saw if I could help it.

If they don’t know you can see them, they don’t care that you exist and leave you alone. It was that simple.

I was actually doing just fine living that way until that day. The day someone on the supernatural side found out about me and figured out exactly what I could do.

. . . .

It was a Tuesday when I felt something in the air stirring. I was with my fiancé, Mike, taking a late night walk around the local pond when I heard something I had never heard before. It was a cross between a hiss and a scream, almost deafening to me. Covering my ears and jerking in fright, I frantically looked around for what was causing the sound. Eventually I heard Mike next to me.

“What are you doing? You suddenly started looking around all scared like. What’s going on?”

He was staring at me like I was crazy, a hint of laughter in his eyes. Standing up I took one more look around before answering him.

“I thought I heard something. I got scared…”

He laughed and grabbed me playfully.

“Oooooooo, a deranged killer is going to jump out of the bushes and get uuuuus. Ooooooo.”

I would have laughed if the atmosphere hadn’t felt so dark and I hadn’t have just heard that horrible noise. Instead I smiled the best I could and pulled my jacket a little more tightly around me, looking around one more time before grabbing his hand.

“I know, I’m weird, but can we go now? I’m actually not feeling that great anymore.”

Mike almost immediately became a little more serious, pulling me close to him as we started to walk.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad if that is what this is about.”

I snuggled more into him and smiled genuinely this time, feeling his worry and care.

“That’s not it. I actually thought you were kind of funny. I’m just starting to get a headache is all.”

“That’s good, you know I love you right?”

It was then that I saw it. It was a very dark black mass drifting out of the surrounding trees onto the path in front of us. As I stared it stopped and turned to look at Mike and me, red glowing orbs watching us from the depths of a sunken in skull face.

I resisted the urge to scream and run from the creature as we continued to walk towards it. Mike had no idea it was even there. It made my heart thump in my chest, my breath increasing with each step. Just like I knew it would, it began to turn as we got closer.

Just as it its gaze was almost turned away something changed and it stopped, quickly looking back at us, or more importantly, at me. The eyes then brightened, its form growing in size and quickly expanding to fill the whole path. The same deafening screech from before then blared from the beast, causing me to stop walking all together. Then a red scythe formed within the mass held by two skeleton hands. What made it even worse was the low ghastly voice that seemed to fill my mind.

“No creature blocks my gaze, not you nor any man

In one sweeping motion it flew at us while simultaneously bringing up the scythe for a wide arch swing. Screaming in terror, I brought up my hands right as the deadly weapon came down upon us. Miraculously, a bright white light seemed to keep it from slicing us in half, knocking both me and Mike down to the ground.

Mike’s eyes seemed to bulge from their sockets as he saw for the first time a creature from the unknown materialize in front of him. The beast just pulled back and laughed evilly as he pointed toward us.

“You have spirit denying me girl, but can you go against he in whom you love?”

Confused I turned a quick frightened glance at Mike. He turned to me and slowly got up, something strange in his eyes.

You’re the one he wants, I’m sorry!”

Stepping closer to me, he back handed me so hard that I fell to the ground, my head spinning. Getting on top of me, he grabbed me around the throat and squeezed, cutting off all my oxygen. I struggled underneath his weight as I tried to breath, hitting and scratching as best I could to get him to let go. With hit and scratch, his grip only got tighter and tighter.

As my vision started to blur, my body seemed to react by itself, bringing my hands up to touch Mike’s face. While staring into his eyes, I felt my energy flow into him with a rush of black dots swarming my vision.

As if a release button had been pushed, Mike let go of me and stood up, slowly stumbling away in a fit of crazy laughter and twitching. I gasped for air as he went, coughing as I rolled over and got on my knees.

In my daze, the creature grabbed me with its bony hand and lifting me off the ground. Its dark body seemed to suck at my very soul as he pulled me close. While still gasping for air, the smell of death and infection caused me to choke. I struggle to even breathe let alone try to get away from its iron like grip. What little pathetic fight I had made the being laugh in my ear, like everything was turning into some sort of twisted game.

“Yes, you have a strong spirit in you girl. Perhaps it would be a waist to simply kill you…”

Licking the length of my neck and face with a black slimy tongue, its free hand began to move up and down my body. Everywhere it touched grew cold, losing all sensation. Terrified silent tears dripped down my face, a feeling of defilement consuming me from simply being touched by the vile creature. With each touch I wanted nothing more than to disappear. Like in answer, I began to slip into oblivion, only halted for a brief moment by screeching in my ear and the sensation of falling.

Then, there was nothing.