Rules of Engagement

(Prologue)

“Fee-fi-fo-fum. Ask not whence the thunder comes. Ask not where the herds have gone. Nor why the birds have ceased their song. When coming home, don't take too long. For monsters roam in Albion.” I whispered the last part to my little sister as I basically jumped out at her. She gasped but her wide open and wondering eyes were fixed on me with such curiosity it was no wonder we were related. Isabelle was the smaller lighter version of myself. Her blue eyes, fair skin, and dirty blonde hair were a spitting image of our mother whereas I was my father’s daughter with the blue eyes, almost black hair, and faintly tanner skin. At only 8 my little sister had gotten into more mischief and adventure than I did. What with me being 12 years and next in line for the thrown I had a constant entourage escorted with me and I could never skip away. To feel the wind in my hair as I rode a horse to freedom with no one but myself, to run around and climb without someone sending the Kings Guard after me thinking I was trying to meet God before my time, to finally choose who I wanted to love and be with. I felt my shoulder slump at the last thought. I was betrothed to a Prince in a neighboring Kingdom and there was no getting out of it.
“Arabella?” I blinked and returned to the present to find Isabelle holding my hand. “Please finish.”
I laughed and kissed her on the forehead. There was nothing I wouldn’t do for my little sister. We had the bond of blood mixed with the bond of friendship forged by many years of us looking out for each other. No one had ever seen a bond like ours before. Even at 8 Isabel was not someone to reckon with when it came to me as well.
“Arabella? What are you doing out of bed at this time of night?” Our mother swept in gracefully and smiled at us with a heart full of love and joy. She tried to seem concern and angry but she failed. If anything she loved when we were together no matter what time or place. She was proud of the bond we had.
“Sorry, Mother. The Giants woke Isabelle and I was telling her the story of how they were defeated. The same story you told me when I was her age.” Really the thunderstorm had scared her and I came in to calm her down when I promised her a bedtime story that would help her go to sleep.
Our mother glided over to us and sat on Isabelle’s bed. I was already under the covers with her because of the slight chill in the air. Mother kissed our cheeks and as she got to me she brushed the hair out of my face gently. Our mother, the Queen, was one of the most beautiful and gentle spirited woman in all the land. It was no wonder father fell in love with her. That was another story all together.
“Mother, will you tell us the rest of the story?” I asked looking into her remarkable and striking blue eyes, the same eyes my sister and I share.
“Oh alright my dear. Now tell me, where is it you left off?”
“The monks were trying to find God, so they made magic-.” Isabelle said clapping now that we were getting to finish the story. I did have to admit that even at 12 this was still my favorite bedtime story. The idea of adventure and suspense and peril were enough to make me almost beg for freedom but princesses never begged and I sadly was a princesses. Rules rules rules.
“Magic seeds. Aye. I remember now. With seeds they pulled from a magical pod the monks grew a pathway to seek out their God. When they came to what they thought was heaven's gate they met with a terrible, grisly fate. For between heaven and earth was a perilous place. Gantua, home to a fierce giant race. With a bridge now before them
to the world of men a plague of giants descend. Taking a cue from the richest of kings they acquired a taste for acquiring things. But the one taste that caused them to lose all control, was a taste for the mankind blood, bones and all."
“Well, that's revolting.” My sister exclaimed sticking out her tongue in disgust.
“Too scary, Isabelle?” I asked laughing as our mother smiled at us.
“Giants aren't scary.”
“Not even their terrifying leader, a monstrous giant with two heads?!” I asked truly impressed she wasn’t scared from this story. I had one brave little sister that was for sure.
“Keep reading, Mother. It's just a story.” Isabelle said rolling her eyes at me. I smirked and shook my head.
“Is it?” I asked raising my eyebrow.
“King Erik bade the monks return to dark arts to find some way to rule giant hearts. So they melted one down mixed in magic and more and they crafted a crown
unlike any before." Mother continued.
“King Erik's magic crown.” Isabelle said with delight bouncing in the bed.
“This is my favorite part.” I said clapping my hands in delight. I pulled my knees up to my chest and waited.
"As soon as the king took the crown in hand the giants were slave to his every command. He sent them back to the place of their birth. Their home now a prison between heaven and earth. Erik severed the link between giants and men. And peace returned to his kingdom again. The mystical relics were all that remained safe with Erik through the years that he reigned. And when time came at last for King Erik to sleep-.”
“He took crown and seed with him for permanent keep. And as the king's bones slowly crumbled away truth became legend." I said finishing up that part for my mother. I laid back in Isabelle’s bed staring up at the ceiling in wonder and thought. Did giants really roam the Earth at one point? Were they still around? Was it all just a story? If giants were real would I ever see one? I had a lot of what’s and if’s running through my head.
“Or so people say.” Mother said chuckling.
“What will happen when the giants come back?” Isabelle asked sitting up straighter.
“They won't, dear.”
“But what if they do?”
“Isabelle.” Mother had a warning tone and even I knew to snap my mouth shut.
“Well, I guess the king's Guardians will have to cut them down to size. Maybe Arabella’s friend will join them like his father before him!” Isabelle said looking at me with such enthusiasm. Hearing that made my heart falter just a bit.
“Well, if Elmont decides to be a Guardian I bet he would make a great warrior. If he becomes ones then I wanna be a Guardian too!” I exclaimed jumping out of bed and pretend sword fighting an imaginary foe. I’ve always wanted to learn how to fight but I wasn’t allowed within 15 feet of a sword or blade. I might ‘hurt myself or others around me”. It wasn’t fair.
“You have the spirit. No doubt about that Arabella.” My mother said finally out right laughing at me. I stopped and smiled sheepishly at my own expense.
“You would just love to be by Elmont’s side wouldn’t you Arabella?” My sister said teasing me and I felt my blush deepen. I quickly looked at my mother in fear hoping she wouldn’t tell father for it could ruin Elmont’s chances at Knighthood before he even started. Elmont was my dearest friend. He was just a boy of 16 now but I knew he would grow up big and strong to be one of the best Knight’s in all the land. He had the heart, the bravery, the-.
“Elmont? That boy that is training with the Guards every morning?” Mother asked confused. One look at her told me she understood though. I felt the back of my eyes sting and I had to look away. Elmont and I had been friends for as long as I could remember. His father was a Guardian of the court and he would soon follow in his stead. Elmont took me under his wing when he saw I was always trying to get away and when other ‘men’ made passes at me. He defended my honor and was the best friend anyone could ask for. Lately however my heart has been pumping faster at the sight of him and I can’t seem to take my eyes off of him. If father caught wind of my affections he could take it out on Elmont!
“Mother please don’t tell father! I implore you to not say a word!” I felt myself start to cry and mother rushed over. She pulled me into a hug and as she wrapped her arms around me I felt myself fall against her. She started hushing me and gently smoothing my hair down my back.
“Arabella, my little dove, why are you so upset?”
“He’s my friend momma and I don’t want to ruin his chances for a life in the Guardians Court.”
“Oh Arabella it’s okay if you love him. You are allowed to love whoever you want and when you want. I know you’re betrothed but maybe I could talk to your father about this. I’ll be smart and not mention any names either.” She kissed my forehead and I leaned into it holding onto my mother like she was a beckon of hope, which in a way she was. Father only ever listened to her even when he didn’t agree with her. “Now as for your joining the Guardians Court that is a firm no.”
“But mother! What if the giants come back? I need to be able to fight alongside the Knight’s to defend my Kingdom!” I protested but mother laid her finger across my lips to quiet me. I shut my mouth with a huff and crossed my arms. She pulled my arms away from my body and smiled sadly at me.
“I know you yearn for adventure my dear, I can see it plain as day on your face and in your eyes. It burns within your soul and maybe one day you will have an adventure but Arabella, it’s only a story. Giants aren't real.”
“But King Erik was real.” Isabelle finally piped up walking over to me with that angelic face of hers that held a silent apology. I knew she hadn’t meant it so I wasn’t angry.
“He was. In some ways, he still is. You're of his blood.” Mother stated with a smile to us.
“I've seen where he's buried.” I accidently blurted out before slapping my hand over my mouth.
Oops.
“In the royal catacombs? Sounds like you have been having some adventures of your own.” Mother said in some shock. The wood in Isabelle’s fireplace cracked making me jump.
“Am I in trouble?” I whispered crossing my arms again wishing I had kept my mouth shut. The cold stone floor beneath me just wouldn’t swallow me into it.
“Not at all. I want you to have adventures. It'll make you a better queen.”
“How?” Isabelle asked just as confused as I was. I slid back over to my sister to tuck her beneath the covers. I could no longer see the moon through her window which told me it was about midnight. The thunderstorm had quieted down a bit and the clouds were beginning to disappear.
“Because she'll get to see how the world works. And when Arabella is queen, she'll have the power to make the world a better place. Now off to sleep. Both of you. Sweet dreams Isabelle. Arabella come with me.”
I gulped and quickly left after my mother leaving Isabelle behind with a quick glance over my shoulder. I smiled sadly and closed the door on her sad face. I didn’t want to leave her any more than she wanted me to leave her. We always did feel more complete and safe with each other. When she would cry for hours she only ever stopped if I or mother held her. Other than that she didn’t want anyone else bothering her. Apparently I was the same way.
When I got to my room down the hall, mother opened the door and went in with me following. I hoped into bed as she shut my windows, which I opened to better listen to the storm. She walked around my room a bit more either fixing things or putting things where they belonged before sitting on the side of the bed next to me.
“Arabella I’m not mad at you for wanting to be your own person. I know what it is like to be told what to do day and night and wanting to just be free but you need to be careful. Elmont is a good boy. Honest, trustworthy, loyal, and above all else brave but you do need to remember you are betrothed to another man.”
“He’s three times my age mother, by the time I hit womanhood he will have passed or worse, still be alive.”
“Arabella! That is inappropriate and such a tragic thing to say.” My mother scoffed at me from my out burst.
“I’m sorry.” I mumbled and looked away. My mother sighed before brushing her fingers across my cheek. I looked back at her and she smiled sadly.
“No I’m the one who is sorry. I do not blame you for your actions. Just let me talk to father before you do anything rash like elope or get with child.”
“Mother!” I said amused and shocked as my mother laughed. “Such a thing to say to your child.”
After we were done laughing she looked into my eyes, brown to blue, before kissing my cheek. “You know I will always love you and be here for you when you need me Arabella. Please do not ever forget that.”
“I won’t mother.” I smiled at her as she tucked me into bed. She pulled the covers up to my chin and started to snuff out the candles.
“Leave that one. Please?” I was still afraid of the dark and the other boys and girls made fun of me for it, except Elmont who said he would protect me from any monster who sought to do me harm. Even as a princess with many protectors I still feared what I couldn’t see and fight.
“All right. Now get some sleep, Arabella. We have to be at the tailors bright and early for dress. You are turning 13 after all. My daughter is a teenager. I feel so old all of a sudden.” I laughed at my mother before just grinning as she stood at the door.
“Mother you will never be old.” Little did I know that she in fact never would be old because she would die that very same year from the Plague that took thousands of lives around the land. My beautiful mother who never harmed anyone, who always understood my sister, and who never spoke to my father about ending my betrothal, would die a very painful and quick death.
As my mother closed the door I closed my eyes and began whispering to myself the end of the story. "And jealous eyes are looking down on peaceful fields in Albion. An enemy vows will come a day when giants return and giants stay. To wage a war and this time win. And to eat the last of Erik's kin."