Rules of Engagement

Marketplace Mishaps

*10 Years Later*

“Oh Isabelle it will be fun! Just come on and quit being so worrisome!” I laughed as I pushed past people in the market place looking at anything and everything. There was so much bustling and selling and buy and just everything! It was heaven to be out of the castle on my own roaming about. I bought my first apple from the marketplace and it was the best apple I did ever have. Our cloaks flew behind us and our hoods shielded our faces so we wouldn’t be recognized by any passing guards. I need this adventure so bad after my birthday ball Father threw me. At two and twenty years he was still trying to pass me off to suitor after suitor and it completely ruined my entire night. I was now a grown woman and set my foot down on any and every offer. I didn’t care how handsome and rich the gentlemen were, I would rather die an old hag before being sold off like a piece of property.

“I swear you are a rebel without a cause sister. Can’t we just slow down and actually, oh I do not know, walk?!” She was huffing and puffing and I chuckled turning to look at her and smiling. My sister had grown up to be such a beautiful young woman and she was suffering as I had with being married off to men more than twice our age. Only her ‘suitor’ was Rodderick, our Father’s advisor, and I would not trust that man with a kitten let alone my baby sister. I mental slapped myself. She wasn’t a baby anymore. No not at all. She just turned 18 the month before last during the Spring Equinox and she kept reminding me to not call her a child.

“I truly apologize Isabelle. I’m just so excited! After Prince Henry died and my betrothal ended I’ve just wanted to do everything I could before I got shipped off to another old creep.”

“Arabella! He died SEVEN years ago! How much more can you keep this up? You know Rodderick will convince Father to get rid of you if you keep this up.” Isabelle said looking into my eyes. Her eyes shown unshed tears and I knew she didn’t want me to leave anymore than I wanted to leave. This was my home, the home I would one day rule in my Father’s stead when he passed to the shadow lands.

“Come let us not speak of this anymore. We left to have fun, and fun we shall have.” I said standing up straighter. Isabelle smiled and followed after me at a steady even pace. I heard a bunch of commotion inside a rather large tent and decided to investigate. When I stepped in I clapped my hands in delight at what stood before me. The stage performers were in town apparently and Isabelle and I always loved having them at the castle.

“Fee-fi-fo-fum. Ask not whence the thunder comes. Ask not where the herds have gone nor why the birds have ceased their song. When coming home don't take too long for monsters roam in Albion. Now let's turn that frown upside down. Here comes King Erik with his magic crown!”

The crowd gasped and I hid my smile behind my hand. Isabelle’s eyes lit up and I was sure my own held the same fire within. This was our favorite story after all and we haven’t heard it in a while. Not since our Mother passed anyways. Things were never the same after that. The trumpets started playing and I placed my hands gracefully in front of me. Isabelle looked at me and I winked. I bet she was glad I practically kidnapped her out of the castle now.

“Hello, mates! I'm Erik the Great.”

“Hello, Erik!” We all shouted out. The performer bowed at that. I had noticed Isabelle hadn’t said anything and I saw she was looking a commoner who was flat out staring at her. He caught me looking at him as he gazed at my sister and he quickly looked away. I smirked and elbowed my sister in the ribs.

“That commoner is staring at you Isabelle. Are you trying to be like me and rebel? It is quite scandalous and I approve whole heartedly.”

Isabelle’s mouth fell open in shock at words making me laugh. “Arabelle you know I’m betrothed. Besides he’s a commoner, maybe a peasant. That is forbidden.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re really okay with marrying a rat for a husband? The man could careless about you let alone father.”

“Stop it Arabella. Don’t cause any trouble within the Noble Council please.” I didn’t bother agreeing or rejecting her proposal.

“Would you like to hear how I defeated the giants?” The Erik performer asked the kids in front who shouted in excitement.

“Yeah!”

This was where the Narrator stepped in to set the scene for the audience. “In Gantua we set our scene where a stalk has grown from a magic bean. And from there, beyond the reach of men a plague of giants did descend.” There were men roaring as the came out on set dressed as ‘giants’ and the crowd quickly booed them showing their love for the giants. I smiled remembering how I did the same thing at one time.

“And what do we have over here? Hello, pretties. And what might your name be?” A smelly dirty man and his four henchmen stood before my sister and I. I quickly stood before her and stood up straighter staring the man down with a fierce glare. It just laughed at me not fearing me in the least and I felt a small stab of fear.

“None of your business.” I said firmly but softly.

“Very pretty indeed. I like you.” I suppressed a shutter up disgust at his blacken teeth. This man really was vile. He all of a sudden gasped and grabbed at my sisters arms. I shoved his hand away thinking he was trying to grab her and take her. He growled at me and I started pushing my sister away out towards the tent flap and to the street. Guards are always patrolling the market and hopefully one would recognize us and come save us.

“Where did you get that?” The man was following us and I was growing worried. I have heard stories of what happened to women with men like him.

“From my mother. Now, please, let us be.” Isabelle asked kindly but you could hear the fear in her voice.

“Come on, go after her. Where do you think you're going?” The ring leader asked coming up right behind us.

One of them grabbed my arm and I yanked it back in disgust. “What's the matter? Not enjoying the show?”

“Hands off!” Isabelle yelled at the man who grabbed me but he only laughed at her expense. Everyone around us was ignoring what was going on. How?

“Hey. Hey, that's no way to treat a-. Unh!” The commoner boy that was staring at my sister walked over to us and stood in front of me. “-lady. To be honest, you looked too drunk to do that. What say we let the good lady go home and I'll consider forgetting this.”

I smiled at the boys back in gratitude. He could have ignored us like everyone else but he chose to stand up and defend our honor. No he wouldn’t stand a chance against them but at least he would try. I felt a hand gently tap my shoulder and I turned around expecting to find Isabelle trying to get me to sneak out while we could but what I found instead was much better.

The Guardians.

I grinned from ear to ear as the Knight before me offered his hand down to me to help pull me up onto the horse behind him. As soon as I was behind him I wrapped my arms around his waist and he placed his hand on mine for a moment protectively. The men that were bothering us quickly went from lecherous to fear at realizing who we were and what we could do now. I smirked as I looked to Isabelle who was on another horse behind a Knight and I nodded in thanks to him.

Elmont was staring the men down with such distaste that I was sure he saw them as nothing more than disgusting cockroaches that needed to be stepped on. The blonde hair blue eyed Knight that sat in front of me was Captain of the Guard and not someone to reckon with. He was picked for a reason. He plays off this sarcastic, laidback, and nonchalant kind of personality but deep down he took his job seriously. Not to mention the men were as loyal to him as he was to my Father. They picked the right man for the job.

“We're sorry, sir.”

“We don't want any trouble.”

“Well isn’t this a different tone they’re now playing.” I whispered to myself and I felt Elmont sit up straighter trying to hold in a chuckle. He had to be serious right now so I kept my mouth shut.

“Good. Because that's what you're gonna get. Trouble. Yeah. All three of you. A whole lot of trou-.” Soon everyone in the tent noticed us, even the performers, and all started to get down on their knees to show their respect to us. The boy was baffled as to what was going on simply because he hadn’t noticed what was going on behind him. I glanced at Isabelle as she held a smirk to her face as well. “There's something behind me, isn't there?”

He slowly turned around and stared at us openly with his mouth hanging open. He was looking at Isabelle trying to come up with words but nothing came out. He was in complete shock. Elmont took this as a sign of disrespect though. “What's your name?”

“Jack.”

“Something wrong with your knees, Jack?” I kind of squeezed Elmont knowing he would get the message to leave the young man alone. He had in fact just tried to help us. Elmont said or did nothing as Jack fell forward on his knees bowing before us. This was why I had my sister and I wear the cloaks, which I now realized were off of our heads. What fun would it be when you were trying to explore and everyone stopped what they were doing to drop to the floor every time you so much as glanced their way. My dark brown hair was blowing slightly around Elmont and I. I really needed to cut it if it was long enough to blow around even Elmont.

“Hup. Forward.” One of the Guardians yelled out and soon we were cantering off back towards the castle. The quick jolt made me grab onto Elmont tighter in fear of falling off.

“Easy their Princess. No need to cut me in half.” Elmont said glancing back at me causing me to chuckle awkwardly. The man still made my heart melt but I knew better than to expect Father to let us marry. So I behaved and merely treated him like a friend. I did slip up every now and then and playfully tease him which he would gracefully throwback at me. Isabelle said our flirting was amusing to watch but it only hurt me knowing that was all I could ever do with him. He really had grew up to be a handsome man. At six and twenty he was tall, muscled, and nicely tanned from training in the sun most days. How I wished with all my heart I could let him know how I felt. I realized he and I were staring at each other before I felt myself blush and look away. My blood was racing and I had to take a deep breath to calm myself. I heard him mutter an apology but I didn’t want him to feel bad. I held on more firmly now to his mid-drift and laid my head on his back. Thankfully he wasn’t wearing his armor today so he felt when I laid on him. He placed his hand on mine again but this time left it.

“You have nothing to be sorry for Captain.” I whispered knowing he could hear me. He squeezed and I sighed.

When we finally got back to the castle Elmont dismounted before me and helped me down. He looked into my eyes the entire time. My light blue ones to his dark blue ones. I swear on the Holy Bible I felt a spark as he touched my bare skin. As he placed me on the ground he didn’t move away but rather went back into Guard mood and stood just behind me with another Knight on the other side and one before me. I growled at how crowded it got all of a sudden. Isabelle was on my other side as well smiling sadly. She knew everything and she felt sorry for me. At least she stood a chance since she wasn’t next in line for the thrown.

When we got to the Great Hall I noticed Father was in his red veil getting his portrait down. I raised my eyebrows in wonder. He looked over to us as we entered and soon I was quickly walking towards him just to get the argument done and over with. I noticed Wicke and Rodderick to the right side of my father and I glared at them. They smirked at me and Wicke even wiggled his fingers at me. First thing was first when I became Queen they were the first to go.

“And I'm not going to be around forever. Arabella did you hear me?” I quickly glanced at my Father and nodded like I had been paying attention the entire time.

“Majesty.” The artist protested.

“Oh, apparently, I'm not supposed to move.”

“Seems like cheating.” Isabelle said standing beside me. She held a grim face and I knew she was just as mad as I was. I mean I was thankful the Guardians came but he didn’t need to send them EVERY time I so much as left my room. Same with Isabelle.

“Can't keep running off like this. What if something were to happen? You're the future queen of Cloister, Arabella.”

“According to you, having a king is all that matters Father.” I said annoyed and trying my hardest not to step too far out of line.

“I've never said any such thing.” Father said playing shocked and looking away to continue his pose.

“So why force me to marry, and even worse force Isabelle to marry someone twice her age whom we do not love? I refuse to let my only sister marry that man Father.”

“There is nothing the matter with Rodderick, he is a great and noble man.”

“More like the snake in the Garden of Eden.” I said feeling my mouth set firmly into a frown. How he couldn’t see how evil that man was baffled me.

“Arabella!” I knew I stepped too far out of line at that one but when I didn’t budge Father just sighed in defeat. He once said as stubborn as I was it would one day make me a Great Queen. “So that's what this is about?”

“Majesty! Please be still.” We all ignored the Artist and continued on. I felt Elmont behind me at a decent distance but I couldn’t look to him for help. He also kept his mouth shut. He knew his place but apparently I couldn’t find mine.

“It's about your refusal to see that we are not some fragile, helpless creatures.” Isabelle said taking a step in front of me. It was now safer if I stayed quiet.

“You two are so like your mother.” Father muttered staring at us but I wouldn’t meet his gaze.

“Then let us. Let us show you how responsible we can be. Let Arabella get to know the people that she is meant to lead. Let her step outside without sending a dozen guards to rescue her. Or me for that matter!”

At that one Father’s features changed and I took a step back. I ended up bumping into Elmont who towered over me. He quickly apologized but I stayed silent.\

“Your Majesty!”

“The day I lost your mother was the darkest day of my life. I do not intend to lose you two either.”

“Yet if we were princes you'd allow us to find our own way. Mother once said to Arabella and I that we should marry for love, but in our own time. Please, Father let us show you that we are capable!” I closed my eyes and waited for the same answer we always received. Yet I knew this was the last time I would ever hear it.

“You belong in the safety of the palace. You will marry Roderick Isabelle. Arabelle will marry whoever I so chose. There's nothing further to discuss.” The King seemed to make that command boom around the entire Hall and everyone was silent staring at us. Isabelle looked ready to fight some more but all I wanted to do was cry in the comfort of my own bed.

“So sayeth the king.” I whispered with a sad smile before I turned around and faced Elmont. He was staring at me and I saw his features soften as he saw the tear fall down my cheek. I quickly looked away and ran out of the Hall not looking back. I heard Isabelle call after me but it was Father’s conflicted voice that made me run faster. He knew how much he hurt me this time.

“Arabella!” I rounded the corner and kept going at full speed.