Rules of Engagement

The Lion and the Snake

“What were you doing with my daughter's bracelet?” I growled at my Father and kept adjusting pants I had changed into along with checking the weapons I know chose to carry. A sword, 3 knives, and a bow and arrow now were placed along the lining of the pants that held firm to my hips.

“Now is not the time Sir.” I said coldly as I fastened the belt and looked up at the giant stalk that now stood where Jack’s house once was. I had woken up after being knocked out from the fall and had quickly ran to the castle for help, putting aside the fact that I had just run away from it a few hours prior. Elmont was the first to greet me as I banged on his chamber door and started spitting everything out that had happened. He had placed his hands on my shoulders telling me slow down and start from the beginning. Why was I covered in mud? Where was I all night? The more questions he asked the more frustrated and angry I got. I ended up screaming at him that we didn’t have time for all this nonsense and that he just needed to trust me and hurry. And now here we were back at the site and ready for whatever. Apparently Jack had grabbed ahold of Isabelle’s wrist and ended up taking off her bracelet.

“There will always be enough time when it comes to getting answers about you and your sister, Arabella.” I threw my hands up in frustration and went to go walk away but Elmont stopped me. I was ordered to not leave his sight apparently.

“Hmm?” Jack rubbed his head and sat up only to be yelled at to get down on his knees before the King.

“Hmm? That’s all you have to say? Hmm?” I could see Father starting to seethe.

“No, I didn't steal it. I promise. They showed up at my house looking for shelter. I was trying to help them, Your Majesty. Arabella tell them-.” Elmont looked down at the boy like he was so surprised at how dumb he could be.

“That’s Your Highness to you, boy. I suggest you learn your place.” I placed a hand on Elmont’s arm and shook my head. No wasn’t the time. I looked back up the stalk and groaned at how high it now was. I only just wanted to find my sister and go home.

“And then?” Father asked getting impatient waiting for an answer.

“All this happened.”

“Wait a minute, I recognize you from the market. Your name is, uh, Jack.” Elmont said snapping his fingers recognizing him from yesterday. I put my face in my hand and shook my head smiling. Oh boy. “Let him up.”

“And where is your house, Jack?” He asked and I answered for him by pointing up towards the top of the stalk. Father’s mouth dropped open. “Your sister is in there?”

I merely nodded.

“Elmont assemble a team. Men who can climb.”

“Yes, sire.” He said bowing and leaving my side to get his men ready. I watched him go before facing the King once more.

“Father I wish to go with the Guardians.” I braced myself for the response.

“Are you mad Arabella? Why on Earth would I let you do such a thing?” He asked and as his voice rose people around us went quiet to watch. I kept calm and collected before answering.

“Because I’m the best climber in the Palace walls and you know it. Plus you already know I’ll find a way to go with them anyways.” I replied plainly.

“I’ll have the guards tie you up and throw you in the dungeons if I have to Arabella, so help me-.”

“And I’ll seduce one of them to get out and again follow up anyways. Father this argument is pointless you realize this right?”

Elmont had come back hearing the last part of my speech and frowning deeply. I ignored it and kept staring my Father down until I saw him start to cave. He knew I didn’t fool around when it came to Isabelle.

“I'd like to accompany them as well.” Jack said stepping forward.

“With due respect this mission is likely to be arduous. Best left to the professionals.” Elmont said as his men gathered behind him. The Guardians looked fierce and ready for action. How I wished to be like them. I may seem brave on the outside but on the inside I was silently scared out of my mind. I know I asked for an adventure but my sister’s life was on the line at the moment and not amount of freedom was worth that.

“I would like the chance to prove my worth to my beloved. And to you.” Roderick stepped forward and I knew Wicke would follow.

“Great, who invited the serpent to the show?” I asked loud enough for the people around me to hear like I was accusing them. They all looked to the floor and kept going about their business. Father ignored my outburst.

“Very well. Just bring her back. Elmont, keep Arabella safe. At all costs.”

“Of course sire.” He bowed once more and looked at me. Our eyes met and that familiar spark shot threw my body and I had to keep myself from shaking. He smiled at me softly and turned around just as another voice shouted out for our attention.

“Jack!” A guard stood in front of him keeping him a good distance away from the King. “Jack! What have you done?”

“Who is this man?” The King asked looking to Jack for answers once more.

“He's my uncle. Your Majesty I want to volunteer.” I could see Jack felt ashamed and guilty and wanted to leave as soon as possible. I had a feeling his Uncle wasn’t a very pleasant person to be around.

“Jack!”

“Your Majesty, please. I object.”

I turned to Elmont confused. “On what grounds? We need all the able bodied hands we could get Captain. I say we bring him.”

“Why don't we bring wives and lady friends?” Crawe mumbled and I glared at him. Crawe was second in command to Elmont but he was also Elmont’s best friend and advisor.

“Let's not.” One of the guardians said already not happy with the idea of having me around. I was getting annoyed. They made it seem like I was such a handful…

“Let's not be hasty. I think the young man should come. He's the only one who saw what happened next to Her Highness. He might shed light on this mystery.” Roderick said giving his ‘expert advise.’ I felt my stomach drop and I knew he was up to something. If Roderick EVERY tried to help you with anything be warned that he was using you or that he had ulterior motive for his future plans. Again, snake in the Garden of Eden ran through my mind.

“Your Majesty-.” Elmont began to protest once more but Father silenced him much in the way I had Jack the night before with my hand.

“No, Elmont, Roderick's right. He might be an asset. Now go. And may God help you bring back my daughter. Both of them.” He gave me one last lingering look before striding away. I clapped my hands together once and turned to the men.

“So, who’s ready?”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Hold to a line soldiers!” A Guard yelled at Roderick and he returned the man’s command with an icy glare. That man better learn to sleep with one eye open from now on.

“Please, sir, the other side of the tree. That means move back. Please, sir. Move back.” Another Guard said trying to keep the peace. I stayed focused on the task at hand and continued to work my way up. The sweat dripping down my face informed me how hot it was and how high we really were. We were basically one with the clouds and falling now would mean certain death. I needed to stay focused to live.

“What do you suppose is up there?” Jack asked as Elmont held firm behind me to make sure I didn’t fall. His nearness was distracting me but I was glad he was there. If anyone could help get my sister home it was him.

“I'm not a superstitious man, Jack. I never suppose. I simply prepare for everything.” Elmont said smiling but he was looking at me as I glanced back at him. I felt my face turn scarlet and I smiled back at him. My first real adventure was with Elmont, which was weird because it was supposed to be with Isabelle. She and I always talked about going far away together and having an adventure of our own.

“What, like giants?” Jack asked.

“You best pray not Jack for those are beasts not to be taken lightly.” I said looking past Elmont to the young farmer.

“No Your Highness, everything real.”

“Elmont just call me Arabella already. We’ve know each other too long for all this formality.” Elmont shook his head.

“Sorry Your Highness, this is how it is.” There was a sadness to his tone so I didn’t bother looking back. I was sure I held the same sad expression.

Jack gasped and seemed to slip but Crawe stopped him from falling back into himself. “Fear of heights?”

“Fear of falling.” Jack corrected.

“Well, then don't fall.” Crawe started laughing and I snickered a bit. The Guards all always had playful natures about them that kept them sane for when they had to be serious all day and night at our expense. A sense of humor was always a cure for a case of seriousness.

“Oh, that's great advice, yeah.” Jack said sarcastically and I burst out laughing.

“All right, let's get moving, chaps. I hope you're not putting yourself through all this with the aim of impressing the princesses.” Elmont gave him a hard and stern look. It was none of his business why Jack was doing what he was doing.

“Elmont.” I held a warning tone. “Enough.”

“Just making sure he knows he doesn’t stand a chance.” Elmont shouted up to me and I stopped to look at him frowning. Was that for Jack’s sake or his own? I didn’t over think it and just went back to climbing.

“What? No.”

“Good. You'd be barking up the wrong beanstalk. Even if she could avoid marrying Roderick, law dictates that she will never marry a commoner.” Or a Knight, even one of Noble Blood. I sighed and placed my hand up to grab onto a vine to pull myself up when it snapped and I slipped. Elmont rushed up to help keep me from falling but by now I was just shaking from the adrenaline rush. Then I realized I was shaking because Elmont was right behind me. Like right on top of me right behind me. I held my breath as his breath hit the back of my neck. His arms were on both sides of my body and he was holding him and me up like we both weighed nothing. I could feel his hard stomach go in and out with every breath he took and I could tell his heart was racing against my back and his breathing was labored. From exhaustion or exhilaration I didn’t know. We said nothing as his face was practically in the crook of my neck and mine was facing him. We didn’t look each other in the eyes this time. This is the closest he had ever been to me besides on horseback.

I loved it.

“Are you okay…Arabella?” He whispered behind me and I could only merely nod. I felt my voice would betray me and when he didn’t move I didn’t say anything either. He began to shift away finally and a rush of air filled my lungs. I hadn’t realized I was still holding it. He cleared his throat and let me climb up further before following after. I was shaking so much now from what just happened that when we finally met a flat enough portion of the beanstalk I sat down to calm myself. We had to somehow make it from one side of the beanstalk to another portion of it and I groaned inwardly.

You had got to be kidding me.

Elmont shot an arrow attached to rope from his crossbow before wrapping his arm around my waist and hoisting me up. “What are you doing? Captain what-.”

“Tallyho.” He smirked at me as it hit me what was about to happen. I latched onto him with both arms and held on tight as we zip lined across a 50 foot gap. My face was touching his and I could feel his stubble on my smooth cheek. I turned my face slightly into his so that my lips were touching his cheek instead. I wasn’t kissing him but it was close enough. His grip tightened around me before we dropped onto the next platform and then it was over all too soon. I let go of him but his left arm never left my waist. I didn’t know whether to lean into him, run away, or just pretend it wasn’t happening. My Princess training told me to put him in his place. My lady training told me to run away for he only wished to take advantage of me. It was my love training from my mother though that kept me grounded where I was. My heart told me this was right whereas it was my brain saying it was wrong.

“Your turn.” Crawe said turning to Jack after smiling at us. I was pretty sure he knew how I felt whether he said it out loud or not. I was curious how Elmont felt though. Did he like me or was he just doing his job and protecting me ‘at all costs’. I didn’t know and it was killing me.

“Come on, Jack, it's not very far.” Elmont called out still not leaving my side though he did drop his hand.

“Come on Jack!” I yelled out trying to encourage him.

“You want to know a little trick?” Crawe asked.

“No.”

“When I'm afraid I imagine a big piece of cake floating right in front of me.” Elmont snickered and I looked to him. He rarely ever actually laughed so hearing that filled me. He was having a good day I could see.

“Brilliant. Thanks.” Jack commented shaking his hands and pulling his belt off to use to let him slide across.

“Like a reward waiting for you, just within arm's reach.” Oh Crawe. “Right. Can you see it?”

“Not really.”

“Then go get it!” Crawe shoved Jack over the rope as he held onto the belt. Jack’s hands were slipping though and I felt a stab of fear for him. He ended up falling off the rope but fell onto the end of the platform and squeezing his eyes shut. When he opened them Crawe, Elmont and I were crowding around him staring down at him.

“Am I dead?”

“Not just yet.” Elmont said nonchalantly. I shoved his arm with a small smile telling him to be nice. He just shrugged and waited for the rest of his men with his own smile.

Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours as we continued to ascend up the beanstalk. After nightfall it had begun to pour once more and the lightning was beautiful from up at this view but my hair standing on end told me it was just as dangerous. It was only when it was raining at its hardest yet when I heard them. It was only after I felt a pull at my waist pulling me down that I realized something was wrong. Elmont had felt me slide down because we were all connected to each other by rope at the moment. Elmont was in front and I was just behind him, so when I was pulled down he was nearly taken off too.

“Help us! Pull us up!” I could hear the men screaming for help and I tried to look down to see what was going on but water kept getting into my eyes and I couldn’t see a thing.

“Roderick, what's going on?!” Elmont was pulling me up when suddenly all the weight holding me down lightened up rapidly quickly. I didn’t want to look down for fear of seeing what I was thinking. “Roderick!”

“The line! It snapped! They're gone! They're all gone!” I heard the man yell up and I looked into Elmont’s face as he closed his eyes in grief. Those were his men.

His friends.

I got up next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. I could feel my hair plastered to my face and he pushed it way to look at me. “I’m sorry Elmont.”

He pulled his hand back and started to continue to climb. “Let’s just find your sister and go home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Next Chapter coming right up!