Status: There's no name like a codename.

Codename 6042

Prologue

"The night speaks,"

A cold wind blew as the stars danced in the night sky.

"The night knows,"

There was no sound, except for the whirling of the wind, and,

"The night tells,"

There was no sign of yesterday's snowfall on the road, though it still seemed that it might snow for a last time.

"The night kills,"

A sound echoed in the quiet of the night- the sound of sucking in air, and leather boots.

"If you want it to, or not,"

A figure slowly made its way down the lane.

"All your fears,"

While flipping her medium, brunette hair, the girl shoved her hands in into her pockets, looking for her keys to make sure that she had not lost them somewhere.

"Will disappear,"

Her long khaki, waistcoat and scarf were warm enough to make sure she was not cold, but something was making her hands shake and her body shiver. Something out of the reach or understanding of the human mind.

"As the night will play its song,"

The sad song of a lonely nightingale filled the air with a sorrowful sound, as if someone or something very near and dear had been lost a while back.

"And will take away your worries,"

By now she had reached the doorstep of her house.

"As you walk in and see,"

She unlocked the door and opened it as gently as she could.

" It's dark so let it be,"

She sighed as she hung her coat and scarf and walked towards the kitchen.

"Until,"

Suddenly, the buzzing of a landline telephone echoed in the small house.

"The night speaks,"

She furrowed her brows while walking towards the living room, thinking about the person who would be calling at 3 a.m.

"The night tells,"

She brought the receiver up to her ear, but the caller hung up.

"The night feels,"

She gazed at the phone with her lost, dark eyes for a while, until the telephone in her room began to ring.

"The night knows,"

She quickly climbed the stairs, and made her way up to the room making sure not to slip anywhere.

"All your shows,"

" Hello?"

She said as she picked it up, but the call ended as soon as the words escaped her mouth.

"What you do,"

For a moment, she thought that someone was playing with her.

"And what you don't,"

But she then shrugged the thought off as she was working on no such case at the moment.

"The night creeps in,"

Just that moment, the entire house was filled with ringing sounds as every telephone in the building buzzed and beeped to notify her that someone wanted to have a talk.

"Even if you don't wonder where it'd been,"

She reached for her mobile, but it had been left downstairs.

"So don't you forget that,"

There was silence for a while until the phones rang again. She grabbed the receiver,

" Hello?"

" Nee, grab a piece of paper."

She took half a sigh of relief after hearing the familiar voice,

" Tyler, is everything fine? I mean-"

She was cut off by the same voice,

" Listen, Nee, I want you to make sure that this doesn't get into wrong hands,"

" Tyler, wait, something's wrong. Really wrong, isn't it?"

She reached out for a pen that was lying on the bed.

There was silence on the other end for while, after which came the same muffled voice,

" Yes, everything's.. everything's fine. Just note it down, Codename, 6042, 6-0-4-2,"

She scribbled down the digits on the back of her hand, because she couldn't find anything else.

" You done?"

" Y-yes, now Tyler, please tell me what's going on-"

" Nothing's... Nothing's going on. And-"

He was cut off by a scratching sound,

" Listen, just make sure that you keep them safe. And just make sure that you know I love you. Good bye,"

He said before hanging up.

"The night knows,"

She kept staring at the receiver.

"The night tells,"

Everything had happened too fast.

"The night fears,"

Why did he sound so... Disturbed?

"The night kills,"

Was that a police case too?

"The night makes sure,"

But, it was strange.

"To pursue your terror,"

Really strange.

"Oh, the night speaks,"

She kept staring as the sound of a transistor radio travelled from one house to another in the "apparently" still air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please don't be harsh while criticising; be lethal.