Status: In Progess

February

Briefing

Liz's POV:

As I dashed across the hall towards the briefing room, I nearly tripped on a loose piece of wire. Stumbling around I managed to get my balance. Why did I have to be so clumsy? 
"Liz Tene, are you going to the briefing or imitating animals?" I jerked up and saw the second-in-command, Adrian Johnson grinning teasingly at me.
"Yeah. I mean, no! I mean, I was getting to the briefing but not imitating animals!" I said breathlessly. "I got lost, so I'm afraid I'm late!"
Adrian chuckled, "Really, Liz, look at your watch, we've got another 10 minutes before it starts!"
I felt myself blush at my neglectfulness but was relieved.
"So, what's it on?" I asked Adrian as we walked together.
"February, you know, the mad killer girl?"
"No, actually I don't know her."
"Really?! Well, you're about to find out." We had reached the briefing room. Sitting down on my assigned seat, waiting for the Chief to start the briefing.
5 minutes later the briefing started. "As most of you know, this briefing is on February Allen, an 18 year old girl who is diagnosed with madness. Well, are you writing this down?!" the Chief glared at us.
The Chief, as everyone called him was a short and stout man who was around 50 and going bald. He liked to smoke, even if smoking was not allowed in the police department according to his own rules. I dug my notebook out of my bag and started writing.
"February's history is not happy; when she was only 10 her 8 year old sister, Imani Grace Allen was beaten to death by her father, Tom Allen. According to Tom's confession, February dashed out from the house and into the streets. Right at that moment February's mother, Adelina Allen entered the house. With Tom still in a drunken rage, he stabbed Adelina twice and smashed her skull with a pot. Tom was later arrested and then sentenced to 13 years in prison for murder."
"And February?" Adrian called. Chief looked at him in annoyance, "I'm getting to that."
"February returned to the house about an hour later. Tom was already arrested and the rest of the police force was looking for her. Seeing the bodies of her sister and mother drove her mad, and when the police finally found her she had trashed half the house. Seeing police, she shot one and escaped. According to witnesses, she thinks almost everyone is her father, and seeking revenge, kills them. There have been 148 recorded deaths by February Allen since she was 12."
The Chief paused, and pulled out another cigarette. Adrian and Fiona, who was the secretary looked at him in disdain.
"May I remind you AGAIN, sir, that smoking is strictly forbidden in the police department." Fiona called out. I caught her muttering under her breath, "According to your own rules."
The Chief ignored her. "I'm assigning several police to the job of catching February." I perked up. 'Please let it be me', I thought. I've never gotten an assignment before.
The Chief pulled out a piece of paper and cleared his throat. "Selena Abney." A woman with blond hair stood up. "Rick Spears. Hilda Miles. Adrian Johnson." I glanced at Adrian. He was grinning. "Demi Eagle, Lee Overby and Liz Tene."
I nearly fell out of my chair in shock. I was going on a mission, with Adrian! This seemed too good to be true, the Chief hardly ever sends out newbies for assignments like this!
"You will leave tomorrow," the Chief drawled, looking rather bored now. "Be here by 7:00am. Meeting dismissed."
I walked away feeling like I was floating. I an going on a mission.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this is a bit long and sorry for the long break. School and stuff. Anyway, enjoy!